IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Less expensive version of the Linea Corse LC818?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-13, 12:16 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

"cheap" is such a subjective word... someone may consider $1000 wheels to be cheap, while others may be able to easily spend $4000 on wheels without taking a second look at their bank account. There is nothing wrong with purchasing what you can afford, however the quality is where I would draw the line. If it means spending extra money for something that will last you much longer, well then that seems like a no brainer. There are tons of people, however, who have purchased these "knock off" wheels and never had an issue with them. On the other hand, there are people who have spent thousands on forged Volk's and have had them bend or crack... I am speaking theoretically, because I do not personally have any experience with these wheels, but I don't think people should be called "cheap" for looking for a bargain set of wheels that still look nice. Just my $.02

Happy wheel shopping!
Old 03-18-13, 01:28 PM
BernieIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
"cheap" is such a subjective word... someone may consider $1000 wheels to be cheap, while others may be able to easily spend $4000 on wheels without taking a second look at their bank account. There is nothing wrong with purchasing what you can afford, however the quality is where I would draw the line. If it means spending extra money for something that will last you much longer, well then that seems like a no brainer. There are tons of people, however, who have purchased these "knock off" wheels and never had an issue with them. On the other hand, there are people who have spent thousands on forged Volk's and have had them bend or crack... I am speaking theoretically, because I do not personally have any experience with these wheels, but I don't think people should be called "cheap" for looking for a bargain set of wheels that still look nice. Just my $.02

Happy wheel shopping!
There are some valid points made in your text however more often than not the knockoffs are the ones that bend or crack and are unsafe. Also these are the ones that push these on those that have invested in the real items and have to listen to how great their knockoffs are. There is a distinct difference between the true quality items and knockoffs. You can spot cheap parts, especially wheels from a mile a way.
Old 03-18-13, 01:38 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by BernieIS
There are some valid points made in your text however more often than not the knockoffs are the ones that bend or crack and are unsafe. Also these are the ones that push these on those that have invested in the real items and have to listen to how great their knockoffs are. There is a distinct difference between the true quality items and knockoffs. You can spot cheap parts, especially wheels from a mile a way.
I will agree that more often than not - it is the replicas that have structural issues.

I'm not saying the replicas are "great" when compared to the originals, just simply stating that $1000 wheels like LC818's are not something I would label as "cheap". They look very nice and greatly enhance the look of most any car. Saying you can "spot cheap parts, especially wheels from a mile away" is another one of those comments that is just 100% subjective and holds no water. What you consider to be "cheap looking" may truly cost $10,000 and you just think it looks tacky. Just saying. I don't like to see everyone trying to label the budget minded as "cheap" people. No point in getting this thread off topic though... sorry.
Old 03-18-13, 03:13 PM
Uda880
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not sure what I believe anymore. I personally had a set of authentic Five Axis S5:Fs that bent and crack fairly regularly. Yet, I've had multiple sets of "replicas" on multiple cars, and have never had a bend or crack that resulted from driving on LA roads.

To each there own I guess.
Old 08-29-13, 07:59 PM
lateapex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is great! We as a group have gotten to the point that we are trying to buy knockoff wheels of a knockoff. Awesome!
Hey, times are tough
Old 08-29-13, 10:41 PM
ISMELLRICE
Rookie

I got cheap wheels
8.75+20 9.75+20 rolled fenders in the rear..
Then bc coils in december bc im poor
Old 08-29-13, 11:22 PM
DFig619
Driver

Now I'm not a big baller, but I did just buy a set of rims with lugs for ~$3800 (no tires) new. I wanted a high quality rim vs. knock offs. I will spend more to have that piece of mind. But I pulled the trigger and bought them early because the shop I went to does 0% financing for 12 months. So not to much out of pocket. Do what you're comfortable with. Don't buy rims out of your price range. My .02 cents

Good luck with the shopping!
Old 08-29-13, 11:26 PM
mr5parkle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ISMELLRICE
I got cheap wheels
8.75+20 9.75+20 rolled fenders in the rear..
Then bc coils in december bc im poor
so that's what a non-sport ISx50 looks like with 19s at stock height?
Old 08-29-13, 11:31 PM
ISMELLRICE
Rookie

18s lol..trust me i hate how it looks too but ill sit nicely come christmas time
Old 08-30-13, 11:49 AM
mr5parkle
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the photo thought. i really wanted to get maybe 19s w/o having to lower it. it's hard to find side profile pics of stock height ISs with aftermarket rims.
Old 08-30-13, 01:50 PM
DFig619
Driver

There's a whole thread about after market rims on stock height
Old 08-30-13, 02:20 PM
mr5parkle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DFig619
There's a whole thread about after market rims on stock height
yes, i looked through it thoroughly. but i'd like to see more side profile pics and more specific if it was sport pack or not.
Old 08-30-13, 02:27 PM
Vibes63
Pole Position

i Paid 600 for mine used....refinished them myself...gotta some awesome tires for 1000....so its possible
Old 08-30-13, 04:05 PM
sopa
Driver School Candidate

This is great! We as a group have gotten to the point that we are trying to buy knockoff wheels of a knockoff. Awesome!
LOLOL

I was told that the lc818 were original design though, no? @_@
Old 08-30-13, 05:28 PM
teefar
Driver

Originally Posted by mr5parkle
so that's what a non-sport ISx50 looks like with 19s at stock height?
Thats gotta be an all wheel drive... I hope its an all wheel drive.

Quick Reply: Less expensive version of the Linea Corse LC818?