So I have a 2009 Lexus IS250 AWD thats showing signs of the carbon buildup issue. My car started to shake more than usual at red lights arond 43,XXX miles. Took it to the dealership and they said they couldn't 'replicate' the issue so I couldn't get the top clean done. Looked on the forums and even the piston replacement TSB isn't a fix, just a band-aid. I figured I'd look into a solution and someone mentioned an oil catch can and it looks like a good solution! I did some research and the OCC will filter the oil and oil vapors that make their way through the PCV valve. The same vapors and gunk that attach themselves to the intake valves and cause the low idles and sluggishness that people have been seeing with their 06-10 250 (DI) engines.
So I started looking around for a quality OCC (oil catch can) and I came across Saikou Michi Co. I sent them an email, but they said they were at capacity so they referred me to Shaun at tokensolutions. When I looked up the OCC at tokensolutions I realized that its actually a collaboration between TS and SMC, so I was siked to pick one up! I have to say Shaun is awesome, he responds to emails in a timely fashion and really knows his stuff. You can pick that up from that fact that he's working with SMC to bring us a quality OCC, along with the knowledge that he shares on the carbon buildup issue. I installed it this past weekend and took a few pics of the install to better help people that are looking to do this mod.
The first pic shows all the covers that need to be removed off (dirty engine bay). The OCC from TS has a bracket that connects to the bolt that holds down the coolant container. It's actually a pretty good design because the TS is suspended in an open area so there's no issues. I want to note that I had to remove the fuel line above the 7th spark plug in order to get better access to the PCV valve location. I tried getting my hands in there but I go no where after half an hour. Taking the fuel line out helped a ton, just be careful because some gas will come out and there's a washer in there that I almost lost. Also, keep the metal piece higher than the hose to keep more gas from coming out (basic physics).
Here is a close up of the PCV valve location:
Here is the extended bolt that replaces the oem bolt, along with the bracket that connects to the OCC:
Here is the OCC installed w/o the hoses attached. I noticed that this area gets a good amount of air flow, which would make sense since you want oil vapor to condense.
Here is everything all hooked up (note i moved the metal hose tightener closer to the OCC afterwards):
Here is everything that is going on around the PCV valve area. The original PCV hose is connected to an extension which goes to the output port of the OCC. Another hose is hooked up from the PCV valve to the intake of the OCC (picture was a little tough since the sun decided to come out). I want to note that I touched my finger to the opening of the PCV valve when I took it off and there was definitely oil that collected on my glove.
Pic of miles post install:
Overall the install was pretty easy (should take ~45 mins) and I want thank Shaun @ TS for creating an awesome kit. The kit literally comes with everything that you need and it even comes with a drain extension kit that I didn't install. Is this the carbon build up solution we've been looking for? After doing my research I want to say 'Yes', but the proof is in the pudding. I will be updating this thread with pics of what the OCC collects over the next 3 thousand miles. I will also be getting the BG GDI service done at some point soon as I find a shop that will do it.
Hey guys, sorry I couldn't update sooner. I got really busy at the end of last summer and then winter hit. So when I installed the catch can I had 44,635 miles and now I have 58,783. So it's been 14148 since I installed the catch can. I drained it today and there was 1.8 ounces (51g)
of what looks like sludge that drained out. I'll update the thread with pictures when I get a chance since I documented everything. So far it looks like the catch can has been doing its job! The only thing that I noticed was that the bracket seems to be rusting a little bit. Aside from that it looks like its functioning as expected.
Bottle with drainage: