Default The Oil Catch Can Experiment

Originally Posted by g1itchgsr
After 5k miles using the same catch can as OP

Glad I sold my 250.
Old 10-20-15, 08:08 AM
lexag12
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can anyone report on how your car is running after adding a catch can? I can see that some of you have shown that your cans are actually catching oil, so that's great. Anyone still having carbon buildup issues? Does your car run smoother?

I've had my own buildup issues and am looking into getting a can. My dealer told me I had injectors clogged or stuck partially open due to carbon buildup, so they performed an injector service on it and that fixed the issue for the time being. They did however say it would eventually happen again in probably about 15k miles.

It sounds like a catch can will prevent me from having anymore issues, but I'm just wanting some feedback from those that have already added one.

Thanks guys.
Old 11-01-15, 09:50 PM
firelikeiy
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Anyone have a picture of where the drain line extension bracket is suppose to bolt to on the Token Solutions catch can?
Old 12-11-15, 10:41 AM
goy091
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexag12
Can anyone report on how your car is running after adding a catch can? I can see that some of you have shown that your cans are actually catching oil, so that's great. Anyone still having carbon buildup issues? Does your car run smoother?

I've had my own buildup issues and am looking into getting a can. My dealer told me I had injectors clogged or stuck partially open due to carbon buildup, so they performed an injector service on it and that fixed the issue for the time being. They did however say it would eventually happen again in probably about 15k miles.

It sounds like a catch can will prevent me from having anymore issues, but I'm just wanting some feedback from those that have already added one.

Thanks guys.
I got and installed the token solutions kit a few months ago after the dealer put in a new block. You won't notice it running smoother, but you will see the oil/gunk that it catches. First oil change after the dealer replaced my block, t I had a good amount of oil coming out. I have a few thousand miles since the rebuild, but no idea if there will be more carbon build up. Probably will have more carbon issues in the future, but hopefully it's when the car is going to be dead anyway hah.
Old 12-13-15, 05:57 PM
EDU
Driver School Candidate

very good read. thanks for all the posts. if I go this route ill get the FBM catch can since I know this guys and I like to support the locals.
Old 03-18-16, 09:34 PM
DEMONX
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this something good to do on 2014 IS250?
Old 05-14-16, 05:31 PM
trippy
Lead Lap

time to get an catch can for my 06 !
Old 05-21-16, 01:34 PM
trippy
Lead Lap

got mine in =) feels like it has more airflow for me .
Old 08-26-16, 09:35 PM
Japmand
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Would an air compressor water trap work?
Old 08-27-16, 02:07 PM
The350Girl
Driver

What does it do ?
Old 08-27-16, 03:51 PM
Japmand
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by The350Girl
What does it do ?
Catch can = catches oil from the PCV return air before it goes back into your intake valves reducing the amount of carbon build up on the valves.

Air compressor water traps apprently work (researched heavily), but it's better to just buy a proper trap because oil can degrade water trap filter mechanisms. Some people are using air compressor water traps, but pulling all the baffles/filters that come with them and replacing it with copper scrub pad material inside for a baffle. I just bought a catch can off ebay for $23 = easy choice because most air compressor traps are over $25...
Old 08-29-16, 08:37 AM
Gohanburne
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

I bought the $20~ eBay Oil Catch Can and installed it. Noticed that my idle went up slightly, but that might be because of the inadequate tubing that was supplied with the kit. Not nearly long enough to route to the front of the car, but long enough to work. haven't really noticed any difference in performance, but it is working. After only about 2K miles with it installed it had filled about 1.5-2cm. Nasty stuff.
Old 08-29-16, 06:32 PM
trippy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gohanburne
I bought the $20~ eBay Oil Catch Can and installed it. Noticed that my idle went up slightly, but that might be because of the inadequate tubing that was supplied with the kit. Not nearly long enough to route to the front of the car, but long enough to work. haven't really noticed any difference in performance, but it is working. After only about 2K miles with it installed it had filled about 1.5-2cm. Nasty stuff.
whoa i installed mine on may and no oil as of now ....
Old 12-29-16, 02:56 PM
rbipu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by trippy
whoa i installed mine on may and no oil as of now ....
I installed a Mishimoto OCC soon after importing an IS250 from Japan and 3000km after the install it's collected a lot of blow-by. To the guys who've had an OCC for a while now, how effective would you say it is with preventing carbon buildup on the intake valves?
Attached Thumbnails The Oil Catch Can Experiment-img_20161229_163816.jpg  
Old 01-01-17, 10:32 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how much would it cost for dealer to clean up the carbon build up during regular maintenance? Anyone have paid for this service other than warranty and know how much? I recalled having dealer done it once many many years ago but under warranty, but ever since i don't feel i have any issue or i could be wrong.

Quick Reply: The Oil Catch Can Experiment