IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

CSP - Someone please respond

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-13, 06:06 AM
blovely
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation CSP- Unofficial Recall of Engine Misfire Help!

New to Forum! Hi! HELP! Have a 2007 IS250, 78,000 miles and took it in to Lexus dealership in November for the CSP (SSC9LA) or L-SB-0048-11 regarding engine misfire, idling at stop signs and even an engine stall during driving on freeway with Check Engine light and CSV light, etc. Diagnostic code came up to verify CSP unofficial recall and parts were back-ordered as most of the postings I see are stating. My car has been in shop for over a week...SA is telling me that I need to replace engine bearings because of premature bearing failure they found while attending to this CSP and taking the engine apart. Bearings are on back-order. I researched online and found 10 reasons for premature bearing failure. I am the second owner on the vehicle. The dealership said the bearings would not be included in the CSP warranty. I pressed further and contacted corporate customer care to inquire why the premature bearing failure would not be caused by the fuel delivery pipe / poor piston design problem and why it's not included in this warranty. It wasn't clear, but said that they have no proof that my oil changes have been done when required since I don't always take to the dealership for oil changes. I offered to provide oil change receipts from vendors I've kept showing the 3,000 change intervals when needed through the 2.5 years I've owned the vehicle. Didn't matter, Lexus Customer Care offered to meet me half way with no other option. I agreed, but said if I could prove my diligence in maintenance to dispute that claim in writing, would they consider changing their status. No offer. The next day, I call my SA to check further into things since one of the mechanics told me completely different details the day before. SA then told me that the dealership would cover the $450 plus labor expense of the engine bearings but that I would need to cover a new water pump for $250. He also mentioned spark plugs. I've read in previous blogs online that with this CSP, water pumps need replacement as well. I'm wanting to know if the water pump is prematurely failing because of this CSP recall or if there's any connection and if anyone else has faced this problem and what their dealership offered. I realize a water pump is a wear and tear item, but why is it that other bloggers are needing water pump replacements with this CSP as well even with less mileage and newer vehicles? Also, just from my research I'm learning new details about all the recalls on my 2007 of which there are three on my 2007; the break pedal one in correlation to the carpet which dealership attended to, the fuel sensor/gasket replacement dealership took care of and now this CSP which is not an official recall. There are two others; SSC 9LB and SSC 9LC which involve rear brake calipers and the electric power steering link assembly. Does anyone have issues with those? I just replaced my rear brake pads and the cylinders which I thought was odd since 6 months earlier all was fine with the pads. Then I needed both. Also with the CSP piston and rings replacement and engine clean-up, is the dealership supposed to replace the spark plugs and change the oil with this CSP or is that owner expense? Does anyone have any information on these issues to help a girl out who knows nothing about car engine parts, what to expect and what should be covered under this powertrain warranty issue. This is my third and possibly my last Lexus. Thanks!
Old 03-13-13, 07:01 AM
blovely
Driver School Candidate

Default CSP - Someone please respond

I know this is old issue...I'm not finding a complete answer in old forums...SORRY...Can anyone PLEASE tell me what all is included in the CSP engine idle problem with piston replacement, engine overhaul? Are spark plugs, oil change, water pump included or owner responsibility? Just want to be informed in what to expect after taking car in to dealership. Love Lexus - this is my third vehicle. Not car part saavy. Thanks!
Old 03-13-13, 08:11 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ironically I took my car in for recalls today, this is one of the recalls they mentioned but does not occur in all of the vehicles. The tech mentioned that one way to notice if this is a problem with your vehicle is if your coming to a stop and you feel your car about to die or bog down. I know there are a few lexus techs on this forum, hopefully one of them can chime in. Regardless you can always call your lexus dealer and I'm sure one of the techs could go into detail on what exactly is replaced... hope this helps.
Old 03-13-13, 08:45 AM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm assuming the bearings you are talking about are part of the water pump?

1. Water pump is unrelated to the CSP. Since your powertrain warranty expired at 70k miles. I would take their offer

2. Spark plugs are wear and tear, unrelated to CSP. It's normally a $400 service at 60k miles. Since they have the engine open. Have them waive the labor and pay for the parts

To be honest I think you would save quite a bit of $$ on labor if you get those done during the CSP

Last edited by Noeh; 03-13-13 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-13-13, 09:14 AM
TooFly4Ya
Pole Position

No idea what part of Florida are you in? If you are near Orlando let me know. I'm sure I can help you out down the road with the lex if so.
Old 03-13-13, 10:11 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

1. Please do not repost

2. If you do a search, you will find this thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ld-up-csp.html
Old 03-13-13, 11:10 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blovely
I know this is old issue...I'm not finding a complete answer in old forums...SORRY...Can anyone PLEASE tell me what all is included in the CSP engine idle problem with piston replacement, engine overhaul? Are spark plugs, oil change, water pump included or owner responsibility? Just want to be informed in what to expect after taking car in to dealership. Love Lexus - this is my third vehicle. Not car part saavy. Thanks!
Water pump failure is actually a pretty common issue with the 2IS, but it doesn't have anything to do with the Carbon Build Up CSP. Spark plugs are wear and tear, and aren't replaced under the CSP either. But if they are going to take your motor apart for the CSP service, most dealerships will replace the water pump, spark plugs, and whatever else really for cost of just parts (since labor is gonna be done either way). An oil change is included with the CSP (they have to replace the oil after putting the parts back together), but it does not include Synthetic oil. So if you've been using synthetic oil, you'll either need to bring your own for them to use or pay the cost difference yourself at the dealer.

But like Kickin posted, there's already a huge thread about the CSP. Check out that link posted above.