IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I need your opinion guys

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-13, 10:21 PM
SD.IS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I need your opinion guys

I bought a pair of headlights recently. When the headlights came in it was packaged as shown below. When I brought this to the attention of the seller and asked why he didn't at least bubble wrap it. He stated "I shipped the headlights in the proper size box that is why i did not put bubble wrap." And yes one was wrapped with a little bit of paper and the other was wrapped in 3 layers of newspaper. Nothing else.

There are some scuff marks and fairly deep scratches on the lens, and a crack in the lower part of the lens housing. Now and I'm going to ask the seller to compensate me a little, do you think I'm being fair? How would you feel if you received your headlights in the packaging I did.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44409312@N02/8552984993/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/44409312@N02/8554086264/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/44409312@N02/8552984911/

Last edited by SD.IS; 03-12-13 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-12-13, 10:51 PM
Joshohoho
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you get what you pay for.
Old 03-12-13, 11:05 PM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joshohoho
you get what you pay for.
?? lol
OP didn't mention anything about prices...

The seller wanted to cut corners and save money on the wrapping. If there were unexpected marks, especially if it looked like from shipping, I'd demand some compensation (or return it). It's his responsibility to ship it to you in the same condition as it was originally when he listed.
Old 03-12-13, 11:18 PM
Joshohoho
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by don
?? lol
OP didn't mention anything about prices...

The seller wanted to cut corners and save money on the wrapping. If there were unexpected marks, especially if it looked like from shipping, I'd demand some compensation (or return it). It's his responsibility to ship it to you in the same condition as it was originally when he listed.
I know its common courtesy to wrap packages. But Those headlights are used, did the seller say he was going to wrap it for you?
Old 03-12-13, 11:20 PM
J250
Lexus Test Driver

Damn that sucks and I feel your pain. I encountered this couple times and never understood these people. Once they throw it in a box, they assume it's not their responsibility anymore and can care less what happens to it.. If i were you, I'd definitely demand some compensation back BUT it's going to be tough. Did you pay through paypal? Also, before you purchased the headlights, did he mention about any previous scratches/damages?

Last edited by J250; 03-12-13 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-12-13, 11:44 PM
circuitt
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always clean and over do it on packing when i ship something.
Old 03-12-13, 11:51 PM
RVCAis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd be pissed. He sounds like an idiot and obviously doesn't value respect.
I don't care who you are but when you receive a large amount of money on an expensive item, you better make sure that the person receives what he paid for. You didn't pay for headlights with cracks in them and you don't deserve those.

It's just that unfortunately you don't have much of a choice. I would definitely demand compensation. If he denies that and you are still pissed (as I would be) I would file a complaint or whatnot through paypal. You deserve some money back.
Old 03-13-13, 12:31 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, I think its definitely fair for you to expect some compensation for the damages if it came like that. I'd be pissed if I ordered a headlight and it came in a box like that. Really, how much extra time does it take to wrap it in some legit bubble wrap before putting it in the box. We all know how most of these boxes are treated during shipping.
Old 03-13-13, 05:06 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to hear and see. Did he me mention scratches on the lens at all? Don't think this was due to shipping, although wrapping them would have been nice and would have helped. The broken piece may have been due to not wrapping. Talk with him to get sine thing back.
Old 03-13-13, 07:09 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Sorry to see that man. I wouldn't even think twice about asking for compensation and/or full refund.
I once shipped a CL member on here (RookieIS) a set of ISF tail lights.

Long story short even though I had shipped them in their OEM boxes, when they arrived one of the tailights had been damaged (box looked like UPS had played volleyball with it). Without any hesitation, I did exactly what he asked for even though it was technically UPS's fault. I refunded him the full amount of 1 taillight so that he may go to a local dealership and buy himself another one (he had a car meet coming up and didnt want to show up without them).

Point is, when you buy something if it is damaged upon arrival, the seller should ALWAYS be responsible. Unless otherwise noted, or you already knew about the damage and bought them that way. Good luck.

Last edited by Vroomin350; 03-13-13 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-13-13, 07:49 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, that person did a **** poor job of packaging it, must have been his first time or something. If he does that normally, I'm sure he would've got enough complaints to package it right by now. When I ship stuff, I make sure the box has plenty of room to allow me to bubble wrap the hell out of the item.

I think you deserve to get some kind of compensation or refund for it. Even if you got a good deal, you probably paid a good amount to get it.
Old 03-13-13, 08:04 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If he said they had scuffs and some scratches (hopefully he provided pics of the wear and tear) then you probably should ask em if those were there before he shipped or if possibly it was damaged due to shipping. Come at him with a reasonable and cool attitude and he might just be straight forward with you and say that those scratches weren't there before he sent the items and due to the way it was pkg you feel like you should be compensated because it was his responsibility to pkg it securely. Kindness goes far, but some people are just *******s so you might try that approach first...
Old 03-13-13, 08:50 AM
SD.IS
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you for everyone's input. The only thing that was mentioned during before the shipment was that it was hazy which the pictures showed. The scuffs, scratches, and cosmetic damages were not. I brought this to his attention and he is denying the fact that it was his fault. I spent 2 hours sanding down and polishing the outside of the lens, it's smooth and nice again for the most part. I now have to take the housing apart and do the same for the inside of the lens because he failed to mention the rocks, dirt, and residue that's sitting on the lens on the inside.

Originally Posted by Joshohoho
I know its common courtesy to wrap packages. But Those headlights are used, did the seller say he was going to wrap it for you?
It doesn't matter if the item is used or new, I always try to make sure that the item arrives in the same condition as I send it out in. It is not that hard to get a bunch of news paper and crumble it up, stuff the living crap out of the box to make sure the item doesn't move. I mean look at the inside of the bigger box, you know it took a couple of tumbles.

I am asking the seller to simply compensate me for the time I'm spending to get the headlights back to the condition he originally stated.
Old 03-13-13, 09:15 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow..thats def messed up...if i am selling you something..I treat it as my own...i wrap it up...bubble wrap is like $2 for a descent size...chances are the seller (douche) won't do anything and will deny any damages based on how he sent the lights...

He probably knew about damages and sent it un protected so they can say it happened during shipping...that is a total a$$ if you ask me
Old 03-13-13, 09:27 AM
TooFly4Ya
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could care less about the packaging only thing that matters from a legal stand point is: What was agreed between the both of you before you purchased the item. As in: Did he specify their are no scratches or defects of the product? If so, then you have a solid case of pushing this to rectify your issue and become compensated. If you all just agreed on a price it would be much more difficult to get your money for the product. Did you buy from ebay?

Quick Reply: I need your opinion guys