Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

#2IS Caliper Painting (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-13, 09:15 PM
Chow
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread. I am going to try and do mine soon.
Old 03-13-13, 02:39 AM
LexoticJ
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

just did mine this past weekend... great advice given from those already...
Old 03-13-13, 05:25 AM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Chow
Great thread. I am going to try and do mine soon.
All I needed for my job: (and it wasnt difficult at all)

wire brush
g2 kit (paint, brake cleaner, paint)
decals
rags to clean the calipers after the brake cleaner

Optional:

hair dryer if your on a time crunch

I ended up putting on 2 coats only, hopefully it will last. all I know is it looks great now. Once again sorry for not posting pics as of yet, I might go ahead and take a snapshot before my decals come in.
Old 03-13-13, 09:09 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

don't put the clear coat until you install sticker...that way the sticker is covered and protected...
Old 03-13-13, 09:30 AM
TooFly4Ya
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iRyan
don't put the clear coat until you install sticker...that way the sticker is covered and protected...
Hmm makes sense! Smart
Old 03-13-13, 04:23 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did mine about two years ago and they still look really good. I spent more time scrubbing them with the wire brush and brake clean than I did actually painting them. Mine took three coats to look correct. I let them sit overnight and then applied the decals the next day (clear coat after decal application, as others have pointed out). When I did the clear coat, I only sprayed over the sticker. I was able to cut out the shape of the caliper from a piece of printer paper and put it over the caliper to avoid over spray on other components.

Old 03-13-13, 07:23 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

im about to do mine with a pro spray gun. if you want a nice , slick , professional shine, you can wetsand and buff back out for a smooth glass finish. it will look less DIY and ricey
Old 03-14-13, 05:49 AM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

I bought my decals to go with it, but they dont fit. I need the ones that have a slight circular bend to them to stay on the caliper. the decals that slammer has would not work on my calipers. anyone else have the same calipers as mine? I believe they are 06 is stock calipers?

Also, I feel like after I took all my wheels off, did the job, and put them back on, my ride has a sort of bouncy/bumpy ride compared to before I did the job. anyone else experience that?

Lastly, when I was painting the calipers, I noticed that one of 2 brake pad pins was a little bit loose. Not sure if that is normal or not. anyways, if anyone knows anything about my issues, lemme know.
Old 03-14-13, 06:55 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

the sticker i got was the one form moto fx i believe...i didn't have any issues...mine i think came off a 08 IS350...so im not sure if there's a difference....

As far as bumpy..mine was a bit bumpy at first...i think maybe because of the heat n paint but 20 miles later it was back to normal...

The loose pad pins just make sure the large pin is in properly and the pads are set at the perfect point and then you should be ok....I don't think the small pin will jump out
Attached Thumbnails #2IS Caliper Painting (merged threads)-dsc_0355.jpg   #2IS Caliper Painting (merged threads)-dsc_0356.jpg  
Old 03-14-13, 07:02 AM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

gotcha, thanks ryan. Your calipers look much different than mine. mine are skinnier and do not have room for the decal to be straight. Ill take a picture an post what it looks like when i can.
Old 03-15-13, 05:53 AM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

OH NO! soooo,

I finally found some decals on ebay that will fit my stock calipers, but upon reading the installation instructions in the description, it says i need to apply a coat of paint that the decal color will be, let it dry, put on the decals, paint over that with the caliper color, then peel the decal sticker off. I was under the impression the decal would go on last after the caliper has been painted, (i.e. paint the calipers with a few coats of g2 blue, dry, then put on the decals and be done).

Can someone tell me if that is correct?
Old 03-19-13, 06:54 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

What color would you guys suggest that looks good on a SGM with either silver or gunmetal wheels?

I was thinking about purple, red, blue, or black. I like purple because it stands out but wanted to get some opinions
Old 03-20-13, 10:23 AM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bob4256 It should be a darker purple. I dont know what the lettering would be other than that metallic grey color.

So, wasn't there someone who enlarged the "L?" Thats something i would be interested in.

Also, I know this was brought up some time ago, but what happened to the CL decal/sticker?
Old 03-20-13, 11:10 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by UniSlayEX
bob4256 It should be a darker purple. I dont know what the lettering would be other than that metallic grey color.

So, wasn't there someone who enlarged the "L?" Thats something i would be interested in.

Also, I know this was brought up some time ago, but what happened to the CL decal/sticker?
Yeah I wanted to get the purple color with the G2 kit but idk how dark it would look. I would put the white lexus decal on them too.
Old 03-20-13, 12:50 PM
circuitt
Pole Position

What do you guys think would be a good color to go along with black sapphire pearl?
maybe blue? red might stand out too much, black w/ white logo? can't decide.

Quick Reply: #2IS Caliper Painting (merged threads)