IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HID Headlight Issues

Old 04-18-13, 07:24 PM
seouljahon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmSW20
yeah i can co sign this one too. i had the exact same issue myself. i bought new 5k bulbs from xenondepot and havent had the issue since.

i so glad i didnt run out and buy new ballast like i initially was going too lol
so it fixed your headlight turning on and off?
Old 04-18-13, 07:39 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by seouljahon
so it fixed your headlight turning on and off?
yessir! with my car, the passenger side would randomly cut off on its own and i would have to turn the lights on and off again. but after i swithed bulbs, everything has been good every since
Old 04-19-13, 12:46 PM
BLexodus
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Just ordered the 5000k lights from Xenon depot with the coupon CODE CLGB08 for $20 off each light, total was only $79.xx for two lights shipped.

Thanks
Old 04-26-13, 08:37 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Sweet!! Let us know how you like the bulbs!!

Steve
Old 08-05-13, 12:11 PM
Chekmi21
Lead Lap

Freakin Lexus quoted $305.54/side for the bulb and labor to install. I just ordered from XenonDepot the 5000k D4S bulb. I'll do the installation myself on some boring Saturday.

My passenger side headlight is going out almost every time I drive now so its time to replace the bulb and see if that works. I used the XenonDepot promo code with free shipping so $80 for the pair!!!
Old 08-05-13, 12:21 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Enjoy!!!
Let us know how the installation goes.

Steve
Old 08-26-13, 07:41 AM
Chekmi21
Lead Lap

Got the bulbs and did the install. Took about 1.5 hours total, not bad. The bulbs were $80 after the XenonDepot ClubLexus code. Headlights are much brighter than what my OEM ones were (5 years later) and there is no blue in the color, crystal white. Looks perfectly OEM. I got the 5000k bulbs.

The headlight doesn't flicker anymore and this fixed my problem. Better than the $606 that Lexus was going to charge me!

Thanks again for all your help guys!
Old 08-26-13, 08:41 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Chekmi21
Got the bulbs and did the install. Took about 1.5 hours total, not bad. The bulbs were $80 after the XenonDepot ClubLexus code. Headlights are much brighter than what my OEM ones were (5 years later) and there is no blue in the color, crystal white. Looks perfectly OEM. I got the 5000k bulbs.

The headlight doesn't flicker anymore and this fixed my problem. Better than the $606 that Lexus was going to charge me!

Thanks again for all your help guys!
No problem! glad to hear everything worked out

Danny
Old 08-26-13, 06:07 PM
sopa
Driver School Candidate

I'm so confused, I have a thread about how mine goes out also, and I thought it was the ballast this whole time. wuddafux
Old 08-27-13, 06:55 AM
Chekmi21
Lead Lap

Bulb is cheaper than ballast. Might want to try the bulbs first. There was some mixed feedback on my issue too. I decided to just try the bulb replacement first and it worked.

My symptoms were that the headlights would go on and then randomly my passenger side would go out. If I turned my headlights off and turned them on again, they would come back on. This started to happen very infrequently, like once a week or so, and then stopped for a while and then came back and started doing I every time my headlights were on. Eventually it got to the point where it happened 2 - 3 times during a 30 minute drive at night. I switched the bulbs out with the ones I got from XenonDepot and drove around and they didn't go out once.
Old 08-27-13, 08:06 AM
Johnn22
Driver School Candidate

Here a warning: i had the same problem as you guys. I try replacing the bulb and it did work. After couple months with no problem, it started to happen again. After opening the hood, i notice the ballast was burnt. I took the car to the dealer, they told me that i destroy the ecu computer. After $1k+ of fixing, i decided to just stick with the oem bulbs. So as a warning to guys, you should stick with oem bulbs
Old 08-27-13, 08:21 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

You absolutely need to be careful when purchasing aftermarket HID components - bulbs and ballasts.

Steve
Old 08-27-13, 11:03 AM
sopa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Chekmi21
Bulb is cheaper than ballast. Might want to try the bulbs first. There was some mixed feedback on my issue too. I decided to just try the bulb replacement first and it worked.

My symptoms were that the headlights would go on and then randomly my passenger side would go out. If I turned my headlights off and turned them on again, they would come back on. This started to happen very infrequently, like once a week or so, and then stopped for a while and then came back and started doing I every time my headlights were on. Eventually it got to the point where it happened 2 - 3 times during a 30 minute drive at night. I switched the bulbs out with the ones I got from XenonDepot and drove around and they didn't go out once.
thanks! that sounds like whats happening with me, too.
Old 08-27-13, 07:42 PM
mrcheap
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

My coworkers 08 I is having the same issue. Stock bulbs starting going out after a few seconds.

Tried couple sets of bulbs and they did the same thing. (One set was from an infiniti and one aftermarket)

3rd set was aftermarket and they worked for a week before they started turning off also

Is it the ballast? Whats strange is the 3rd set worked for a week before failing? Should i try a 4th set?

Any ideas? Thanks
Old 08-28-13, 07:51 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

You really really need to be careful with aftermarket HID bulbs - Especially D4S. We have gone through numerous vendors until finally finding one that had a quality D4S bulb.

Steve

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HID Headlight Issues