fiberglass vs duraflex vs urethane

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-13, 10:34 PM
Kitty2IS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fiberglass vs duraflex vs urethane

Hi everyone,

so, i've been in the market for a full lip kit for quite a while now. i was just wondering if you guys could do a compare and contrast of the different kit materials. i did a search and there was not much about duraflex material.

so far what i heard is , duraflex is very very flexible, thus not easy to crack. but most expensive

fiberglass is better quality, paint sticks longer; "best material?"

urethane is oily thus paint may or may not stick for long. paint job may cost more due to oily nature and harder to prep for paint. most affordable price

any further input greatly appreciated !!
Old 03-10-13, 11:07 PM
2slixx
Lexus Test Driver

I think it really depends if you are going authentic or replica. Most replicas are poly urethane. Nextmods are fiberglass I believe, hence, the price difference. I'd personally go fiberglass because its not flimsy like urethane and I'm not as slammed as most members here so scrapping isn't an issue for me (Most of the time). Hope you find what you are looking for. Urethane is pretty darn flexible also, I've had my honda lip wrap around my tires and it didn't crack or lose its form. If my car was slammed I'd probably go Poly Urethane.
Old 03-11-13, 10:15 AM
f111f444
Pole Position

My experience with poly urethane is much better than fiber glass. I'm using INGs authentic poly urethane kit now on my IS. The paint on it for 2 years already but it still look like new and it more flexible than fiber glass, my front lip usually rubbing on the entrance but due to the material is flexible, my front lip doesn't have any cack. I also had fiber glass trunk spoiler on my old 350Z before. The material is heavier and I start to see some crack line after 2 years but this is not authentic so may be if you buy authentic you will not see this issue. Hope this info can give you some idea.
Old 03-12-13, 08:00 PM
Kitty2IS
Lead Lap

thanks guys! how about duraflex?
Old 03-12-13, 09:00 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

urethane is the most resilient and gets my vote everytime. ill never **** with fiberglass and i encourage everyone else to do the same when the topic arises.

fiberglass is thin and brittle. it cracks easily and does not take impact well.
duraflex as i understand it is fiberglass with more layers and or more pliable.
either way stick with urethane.

with my understanding urethane is more porous and so it traps moisture and takes a while to completely dry and thats why its difficult to paint
Old 03-12-13, 10:24 PM
showtymers
Driver

from what i understand duraflex isnt just fiberglass but a combination of fiberglass and plastic resin

i think it the same stuff the plastic lids that are made on top of those big dumpsters , i would say stick with urethane but some cheap urethane kits also sag and warp i say spend the money once seems like dura flex has enough flex yet still rigid to keep its form
Old 03-13-13, 05:36 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Duraflex makes replicas and their kits are ugly in my opinion. I have an authentic Vertex kit and authentic Wald trunk spoiler. Only slight issue ive had is making contact with driveways but that's cause I'm slammed.
Old 03-13-13, 04:30 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Kitty2IS
Hi everyone,

so, i've been in the market for a full lip kit for quite a while now. i was just wondering if you guys could do a compare and contrast of the different kit materials. i did a search and there was not much about duraflex material.

so far what i heard is , duraflex is very very flexible, thus not easy to crack. but most expensive

fiberglass is better quality, paint sticks longer; "best material?"

urethane is oily thus paint may or may not stick for long. paint job may cost more due to oily nature and harder to prep for paint. most affordable price

any further input greatly appreciated !!
if the part is prepped right by whomever is painting it, the paint doesnt just "come off" on urethane. ill vote urethane over any but duraflex is good stuff too. my side skirts and rear spats on my mr2 are duraflex and it was almost as flexible as urethane.

if you are slammed then urethane is hard to beat. fiberglass doesnt take damage too well rock chips, scraping, curbing, etc