IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

VIP Puddle LED Wiring Diagram

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-13, 04:10 PM
RegRover
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VIP Puddle LED Wiring Diagram

Starting a new thread based on a member or two asking about how I wired up the VIP Puddle LED's that I installed last week. I do apologize ahead of time for the drawing/sketch that I did free hand but I still hope you get the gist of it.

Below are some of the links I followed before and during the install:

Side Skirt Removal
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...t-removal.html

General idea how the LED's were installed:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...le-lights.html

This diagram will turn on the LED's when:

- unlocking the car
- opening the door
- walking up to the car, mirror puddle comes on as well (not sure yet but I think only when the car is locked)

I tried searching this forum and the net which resulted in limited information. But overall not hard, just need time and patience. It took me a little longer due trial and error and lots of thinking .

All the info I found always had it wired to the puddle lights on the side mirror which involved taking the door panels off or it was taken to be installed by a professional. My goal for the LED's were to turn on when you unlock your car, open the door, and walking up to the car with the key fob. Also to fade when turning off. After thinking of various ways to wire it, I decided to tap into the Dome light and I accomplished all the above and very happy with my results

Before I started, I took my volt meter and checked the polarity of the rear dome light. Then I disconnected the negative terminal of the battery, having doors open and so forth.

If you look at my diagram, LED's are pretty much self-explanatory. Once you get it installed on your side skirt and it all wired up, when you get to the end, its Important to test and make sure all LED's light up/working. I did this by taking my drill battery and touched the positive and negative wire to it. It all should light up and now you are ready to proceed.

I tapped into the rear dome light, I thought it would be easier to run/hide wires from there. if you sit right under the rear dome light while facing the front, remove cover. Looking up at it, you will see 2 festoon bulbs, one towards the front and one towards the back. The front bulb turns off right away when you close the door. The back one is the one that fades slowly off and thats the one you want to tap. I tapped the positive wire on the right side (passenger side) and tapped the negative on the left side (driver side), see diagram.

I drilled 2 small holes on top of the plastic to run the positive and negative wires. Snaked it through the headliner, down the side panel by the rear windshield, down the plastic part next to the seats, then under the door sills.

One thing I did use, which I learned when I modified the Angel Eyes on my e60 was a diode. This is just for the future in case I want to tap/get power from a different source for the LED's to turn on/off. In this case, the Diode will prevent power going back to the dome light.

I hope this all makes sense and please do not hesitate to ask if I need to elaborate or clarify a few things. Install at your own risk and Good Luck. I am NOT an electrician so I am not sure if this is the best way or if this ruins or breaks anything. But so far so good, had it installed for a week or so now and no problems.....
Attached Thumbnails VIP Puddle LED Wiring Diagram-vip-puddle-wiring.jpg  
Old 03-05-13, 04:40 PM
xmarvinx
Driver School Candidate

thanks man! will be doing this project
Old 03-05-13, 06:44 PM
genaos11
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Rlly good write up! Will help a lot cl members
Old 03-06-13, 11:47 AM
RegRover
Driver

Originally Posted by genaos11
Rlly good write up! Will help a lot cl members
Thanks, my first kinda of a DIY I guess. Curious to hear from other members how and when theirs turn on?!? Chime in please....
Old 03-06-13, 02:19 PM
f111f444
Pole Position

I had this puddle LED on my car too but one side got lose wire and doesn't light up. Nefore the guy install for me, he wire the wrong wire color. ex: red = positive, black = negative but he use it reverse black = positive, red = negative and I don't remember which side he connect reverse. When I recennect I just try both way and not sure did I burn the LED if I connect wrong at the first time like positive to negative. Now doesn't matter which way I connect the LED doesn't light up anymore. Is there a way to check if the LED still good or already burn?
Old 03-06-13, 03:04 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

you can just tap in on driver side under dash . white negative dome light wire. Power is easy to find, switch was a pita.
Old 03-07-13, 04:26 AM
RegRover
Driver

What I would do first is take the wires coming from the source, meaning where your getting power from. Use a volt meter to see if you are getting power and the polarity, meaning which wire is neg/pos. Make sure the source is on, like if its a dome light, make sure the lights are on before testing.

Before reconnecting the LEDs to that, take the pos/neg of the LEDs and test it with a battery of some sort, like a drill battery is what I used. If it doesn't light up, just swap the wires and test on battery again. This will let you know if they still work and if there's a lose connection within the series of the LEDs. Also will let you know the polarity of the wires.

LEDs shouldn't burn out, basically when you install an led bulb in your car and it doesn't light up, just usually means its backwards and if you flip it, it should work.

Hope this helps. Establish those two things first in my opinion and it should lead you down the right path.
Old 03-07-13, 05:11 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I actually plan on doing this on Friday. Theyre going to wired to a switch, just like my footwell LEDs are. I dont want them to turn on every time I open the door, I think that would get annoying after a while.

Thanks for the diagram
Old 03-07-13, 05:31 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bob4256
I actually plan on doing this on Friday. Theyre going to wired to a switch, just like my footwell LEDs are. I dont want them to turn on every time I open the door, I think that would get annoying after a while.

Thanks for the diagram
Mine are wired to turn on when the door is opened hence the term "puddle light." So you won't step in a puddle. I also have a switch on my dash that illuminated them brighter (usually for indoor car shows or sometimes while driving but it's illegal to drive with the in in CA.) just an idea Bob.
Old 03-07-13, 05:37 AM
HighImStan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sffd103
Mine are wired to turn on when the door is opened hence the term "puddle light." So you won't step in a puddle. I also have a switch on my dash that illuminated them brighter (usually for indoor car shows or sometimes while driving but it's illegal to drive with the in in CA.) just an idea Bob.
Where did you get yours installed at Mariano?
Old 03-07-13, 05:42 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sffd103
Yeah I know what you mean, I have LEDs in my puddle lights and my courtesy lights so stepping in a puddle hopefully wont be a problem

I only want them to turn on when I want them to (At a meet, show, etc) which is why I choose to go with the switch
Old 03-07-13, 09:44 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet. I have the puddle lights but have been too lazy to install them. I'm gonna get on this when it gets a bit warmer.

Thanks
Old 03-09-13, 11:59 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice write-up OP
Old 03-09-13, 12:07 PM
RegRover
Driver

Thanks, I'm glad I can help! Just installed the exact fit LED's for the interior dome lights and man are they ever bright!!
Old 03-09-13, 12:08 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

post up the pictures when your done! I want to see how it looks.

Quick Reply: VIP Puddle LED Wiring Diagram