IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Question regarding AFS option on headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-13, 07:50 PM
jbone29
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question regarding AFS option on headlights

How far is the lights supposed to move from left to right and right to left? Mine barely move at all to notice. I just went to my garage and made sure the afs mode was on and turned my steering wheel both ways and could barely notice. My wife has a G35 and her headlights rotate way more than mine. I also had the garage completely dark except for my headlights being on. Just your thoughts, thanks.
Old 03-04-13, 07:55 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

They do barely move on Lexus AFS. I think it's 15% if that. On Mercedes and other brands you actually notice is because their projector turns much more.
Old 03-04-13, 08:00 PM
ScoobyLai
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If its super dark where you are driving, you will notice it. I didn't believe until I drove down to a street with no city lights.
Old 03-04-13, 08:01 PM
supralative
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I notice mine move more turning left than turning right.
You have to really look for the movement when turning right to see it.
On my father's LS460 you can see the movement really easy.
Old 03-04-13, 08:10 PM
Joshohoho
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I barely notice mine too, but I just leave it on.
Old 03-04-13, 08:28 PM
212LeX
Rookie

The IS models are not easily noticeable as other cars, but they do move, and they move while in motion at a certain speed and how much of a turn is being make., the sensor, the computer figures this all out instantly
Old 03-04-13, 08:38 PM
jbone29
Lead Lap

Thanks, I read somewhere that they move a lot more at 26mph and up. Kind of hard to notice at that speed compared to turning left or right.
Old 03-04-13, 10:34 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

i don't even know how to turn the option on or off! ha! anyone care to explain what is probably ridiculously simple?
Old 03-04-13, 11:25 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah it's really not that much of a difference until you make a turn on streets that are literally pitch black. I went through a completely dark tunnel with a turn and it was pretty cool to see the AFS working around the turn!

Originally Posted by davyjordi
i don't even know how to turn the option on or off! ha! anyone care to explain what is probably ridiculously simple?
On the left side of the steering wheel, under the **** that adjusts the brightness of the gauges, you should have the buttons to change settings (circle button with a left and right arrow on both sides). If you have AFS, you can use the arrow keys to go to the AFS option and turn it on or off. Not all models came with AFS tho.
Old 03-05-13, 12:51 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jbone29
How far is the lights supposed to move from left to right and right to left? Mine barely move at all to notice. I just went to my garage and made sure the afs mode was on and turned my steering wheel both ways and could barely notice. My wife has a G35 and her headlights rotate way more than mine. I also had the garage completely dark except for my headlights being on. Just your thoughts, thanks.
Its activated when car is moving faster than 50km/h (had it on my last 09 IS). Also the AFS turns more to the left than right. It is quite noticeble in the night.
Old 03-05-13, 07:15 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

You won't see anything when you're stopped. Lexus AFS is speed sensitive and will move significantly more the faster you are driving.

When making a right turn, the left headlight stays stationary, the right light turns up to 5° to the right.
When making a left turn, the right headlight stays stationary, the left light turns up to 15° to the left.

The minimum vehicle speed to change the swivel is 6 mph (10 km/h) if the steering angle is wide.
The minimum steering angle to change the swivel is 7.5° if the vehicle speed is high.

The AFS ECU calculates the target lighting angle of the LO/HI beam based on the steering angle and the vehicle speed. Then, it actuates the headlight swivel actuators in order to attain the target lighting angle.

Jeff
Old 03-05-13, 07:22 AM
jbone29
Lead Lap

here is how to check...

Start your car, look to the left of the steering wheel on the dash, there is a group of buttons with a left and right arrow and a round circular button. click either left or right and watch your instrument panel. you will see it cycle through tire pressure, afs, tachometer, etc.
Old 03-05-13, 10:43 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
On the left side of the steering wheel, under the **** that adjusts the brightness of the gauges, you should have the buttons to change settings (circle button with a left and right arrow on both sides). If you have AFS, you can use the arrow keys to go to the AFS option and turn it on or off. Not all models came with AFS tho.
here is how to check...

Start your car, look to the left of the steering wheel on the dash, there is a group of buttons with a left and right arrow and a round circular button. click either left or right and watch your instrument panel. you will see it cycle through tire pressure, afs, tachometer, etc.
oh, hah! i looked today and there it was and i never knew what it was for. or rather i never knew what it was for nor took the time to look it up. i'm a lazy baby.

thanks, guys!
Old 03-06-13, 10:05 AM
lexuscrit
Driver School Candidate

The AFS sweep on my car is significantly more noticeable when turning left. The sweep on the right is probably less than 5 degrees and in my opinion useless. I wish there was a way to make the right sweep as far as the left. It would seem that the left side should sweep less because our cars are LHD and our lights sweep into oncoming traffic.
Old 03-06-13, 10:08 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks, I read somewhere that they move a lot more at 26mph and up. Kind of hard to notice at that speed compared to turning left or right.
IIRC 15* left; 5* right; no movement at low speed (10-15 mph). I thought they did away with AFS in later models--I had a '12 loaner with HID, but no AFS.

Quick Reply: Question regarding AFS option on headlights