IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Infuriating Close Call and CSP Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-13, 05:17 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Infuriating Close Call and CSP Question

Driving back from the Lexus of Palm Beach dealership on Florida's Turnpike, I noticed a Jeep really glued to my bumper, so I let off the accelerator and watch when he would notice the gap shorten. To no surprise, he slows down and then speeds back onto my bumper after I leveled my speed back to 80 mph (mind you the speed limit was 70 switching to 65). Problem was a Corolla was on the left lane where me and this Jeep Cherokee were driving, while there was slower traffic on the right lane (2 lane turnpike); so I decided that it would be wise for me to move over and let him just get ahead of me since my exit was coming up after the service plaza. What happened instead is that we both switched over to the right lane and he was so crossed that he jumped into the shoulder and proceed to drive on the shoulder to pass me and a Corolla (as me and the Jeep exchange horns). This driver had the gall to tailgate another car after passing us.

Anyone had some close calls where your Lexus was in danger by another driver? I ask this because of my close call today and my friends 2010 RX 350 was rear ended by a pickup truck in Gainesville, FL.

On a more pressing note, I visited my local dealership to set up an appointment for the Carbon Buildup CSP, wiper nut and emergency trunk hatch campaigns done. My question is my car is only has 81K miles and showed the symptoms of the carbon buildup (RPMs dipping to 500 and almost stalling) only last week, should I get this CSP done now or wait it out a bit more?

Thank you CL for being a great forum and a source of insight and knowledge.
Old 03-02-13, 06:49 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

idk if they would do the carbon build up campaign if you dont have a check engine light...
Old 03-02-13, 06:55 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sucks about the close call, happened to me a few times though...some people are just crazy. I've had my fair share of close calls with people cutting me off way to close or nearly rear ending me because they weren't paying attention.

As far as the carbon build up issue though, the CSP covers your car for 9 years/unlimited miles. You can't just go in and request the service be done and have it done though. There's a list of things they have to verify first (usually the car must have misfired or something) to get the CSP done. If they can't find any data when they check the cars computer, don't be surprised if they don't do the service. So my advice is, if they check it out and verify the issue, have it done now. Plus, with the number of people that have gone in for the CSP related repairs, there's at least a couple months wait for parts at most dealerships. Some people have been waiting longer then that even.
Old 03-02-13, 07:07 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by panda08
idk if they would do the carbon build up campaign if you dont have a check engine light...
They allowed it since I got the letter for the CSP.
Old 03-02-13, 07:29 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Sucks about the close call, happened to me a few times though...some people are just crazy. I've had my fair share of close calls with people cutting me off way to close or nearly rear ending me because they weren't paying attention.

As far as the carbon build up issue though, the CSP covers your car for 9 years/unlimited miles. You can't just go in and request the service be done and have it done though. There's a list of things they have to verify first (usually the car must have misfired or something) to get the CSP done. If they can't find any data when they check the cars computer, don't be surprised if they don't do the service. So my advice is, if they check it out and verify the issue, have it done now. Plus, with the number of people that have gone in for the CSP related repairs, there's at least a couple months wait for parts at most dealerships. Some people have been waiting longer then that even.
Yeah, bad/stupid drivers are basically my biggest pet peeve.

Ah, that's a good suggestion. I meant to check the letter on how long the CSP will be covered. Thank you.
Old 03-03-13, 01:41 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by panda08
They will--if the ECU has recorded the proper codes.