IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Should I trade in my Lexus IS 350 for a CT 200h?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-13, 01:32 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Cat
Losing $11K is a sunk depreciation cost that I have already lost whether I keep or switch the car. So since I've already lost it no matter what, I'm not "losing" all $11K of it by my decision to switch. Get it?
You're losing $11K no matter how you spin it.Only driving the IS 7K miles makes it even worse.
Of course it's your decision.If you feel good about it,do the deal.

Cat,enjoy the CT!
Old 02-13-13, 01:33 PM
Cat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iRock
Looks like you already figured out how much. Now just figure out if its worth it to you. I personally wouldn't do it right now. I like the car, but it doesn't fulfill my needs at the moment when I get old..... I'd love to have one. I'm guessing you bought a 350 because you enjoy the power? That's a lot to give up. If you have the money and that's what you really want. Do it!
Thanks dude, how "old" would you want to be before you get one? I think the CT was aimed towards younger people, but I guess older people don't mind driving slow anyway (and saving money on gas).
Old 02-13-13, 01:37 PM
Cat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Joeb427
You're losing $11K no matter how you spin it.Only driving the IS 7K miles makes it even worse.
Of course it's your decision.If you feel good about it,do the deal.

Cat,enjoy the CT!
Right, I've already LOST the $11K. That depreciation sucks and it hurts, but that shouldn't really influence what my future choice is since I've already lost it and therefore it is a sunk cost. You can't really do much about sunk costs except accept them and reevaluate your current/future situation.
Yes, you are definitely right that I should at least keep it for a little more to make it worth the depreciation loss I'm incurring. So, it may just be a timing issue. If I do make the switch, probably the smartest thing is to keep the car more than a year. I'm just playing around and even playing devil's advocate here. Thanks for reminding me how much I've lost though!

Last edited by Cat; 02-13-13 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-13-13, 01:42 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cat
Right, I've already LOST the $11K. That depreciation sucks and it hurts, but that shouldn't really influence what my future choice is since I've already lost it and therefore it is a sunk cost. You can't really do much about sunk costs except accept them and reevaluate your current/future situation.
Yes, you are definitely right that I should at least keep it for a little more to make it worth the depreciation lost I'm incurring. So, it may just be a timing issue. If I do make the switch, probably the smartest thing is to keep the car more than a year. I'm just playing around and even playing devil's advocate here. Thanks for reminding me how much I've lost though!
Old 02-13-13, 01:52 PM
texbanc
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you crazy??? Trade it in for a GS and put a smile on your face.

Tex
Old 02-13-13, 02:01 PM
Cat
Driver School Candidate

I am crazy! But if I'm not getting a hybrid, I'm keeping my IS. The GS and ES are both too big for me! I'm a 5'5" female! The GS is an awesome car though.
Old 02-13-13, 02:07 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by texbanc
Are you crazy??? Trade it in for a GS and put a smile on your face.

Tex
Old 02-13-13, 03:31 PM
ncsu-tc
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was looking for my IS every stealership had 1-4 CT's "used" in inventory. I can only assume that these CPO cars with 5-9k miles were very disappointing to the buyers and were traded in quickly.

I was shocked how many were out there, especially in FLA.
Old 02-13-13, 03:54 PM
Mingus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ncsu-tc
When I was looking for my IS every stealership had 1-4 CT's "used" in inventory. I can only assume that these CPO cars with 5-9k miles were very disappointing to the buyers and were traded in quickly.

I was shocked how many were out there, especially in FLA.
Never driven or rid in one. Or even seen one closer than maybe fifty feet away. But I think they are sort of cool looking. Too bad they are so underpowered. Why does Toyota think just because someone wants a hatchback it has to be a mileage miser and underpowered?
Old 02-13-13, 04:27 PM
NimaM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove the CT a few times and hated it. In my opinion, if you're downgrading to a CT why not get a Prius with all the bells and whistles?
Old 02-13-13, 04:56 PM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I had to trade my 350 in, I'd probably get a FRS
Old 02-13-13, 05:34 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I've seen a few CT and they look pretty good, but I imagine it's very slow. But if you don't care about speed or acceleration onto the freeway (which I think with 10sec you barely have enough time).

Originally Posted by Cat
Hey guys, check out my financial reconciliation and please feel free to comment. When I originally bought my IS, I traded in my Honda for $20K so I financed about $25.9K for my Lexus (including interest). The loan amount I would have for the CT if I chose it in the first place rather than my IS would be $14.5K The price I will pay for a CT if I switch now is $23.2K (12 months worth of payments on IS + 49 months worth of new lower payments on CT). Therefore, my loss for not choosing the CT in the first place is $8.6K. However, I did drive my IS for 12 months and the cost to lease it for that long would have been $4.7K. Therefore, my net loss is really $3.9K.
Yes, I think if you're thinking of it in term of leasing the car it's about right (maybe you forgot tax unless that's in the financed amount), and since your loan amount is relatively low, you didn't lose much on interest payments. The finance amount doesn't include/have interest upfront, so not sure what you mean by including interest What was the interest rate for the IS? If you got good credit, you might only have about $21,000 to pay the IS off. Not sure why you want to do the monthly payment thing, it's harder to figure out how much you're getting screw over.

In any case, if you are good with the CT, go ahead and switch, waiting doesn't really help.
Old 02-13-13, 06:24 PM
Cat
Driver School Candidate

Including interest - I kind of did the calc backwards (My monthly payments x 60 months) so this amount of $25.9K includes everything I'm financing over 60 months.
Old 02-13-13, 06:25 PM
Cat
Driver School Candidate

I have excellent credit and I got 1.9%
Old 02-13-13, 06:39 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Cat
Including interest - I kind of did the calc backwards (My monthly payments x 60 months) so this amount of $25.9K includes everything I'm financing over 60 months.
You shouldn't do this since the interest is something you have not paid, and it's in the future. And that's not your financed amount! You should know how much principle you have left by looking at what your financed amount was along with the interest rate, then you can figure out how much you're getting back by selling it and paying the loan off.

Quick Reply: Should I trade in my Lexus IS 350 for a CT 200h?