IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Can I turn traction control completely off?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-13, 08:52 PM
Dylan19
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I turn traction control completely off?

I cannot stand the traction control on this car. Its a 2006 IS350, and I can barely get out of my driveway. Just letting my foot off the brake makes the traction control go crazy, and I get very little power to my wheels. This happened to me the other day as well, but I was making a left hand turn across a street, and luckily there was plenty of room for me to slowly get across the road. It made me furious though because it could have turned out very badly. It was a 55 mile per hour road.

This is the worst traction control system I have ever had to deal with, and pushing the traction control button barely does anything at all. I have tried the pedal dance, and other stuff, but nothing is working. Can I pull a fuse or disconnect something somewhere on the car? I want it off permanently. Anyone have a solution? I can drive better in the snow in my E36 M3.
Old 02-06-13, 09:00 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The pedal dance is supposed to shut it off completely until you turn the car off. When you tried it did it not shut it off?

Interesting though because nobody else has really had that much of a problem with the tracation control, even in the snow. (at least i haven't seen too many threads about it). Most people say its easy to drive in the snow with traction control and having the ECT button in "SNOW" mode.
Old 02-06-13, 09:02 PM
Dylan19
Rookie

Nope. Nothing at all. I was wondering if that was something that only newer models did..
Old 02-06-13, 09:03 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dylan19
Nope. Nothing at all. I was wondering if that was something that only newer models did..
You might be doing it wrong..? Pedal dance works only on the 06 model. 07+ all you have to do is hold down the traction control button for a bit and it totally shuts it off until the car is turned off.
Old 02-06-13, 09:07 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

you realize your comparing a e36 m3 handling and performance with your is350 right?
Old 02-06-13, 09:10 PM
Dylan19
Rookie

I guess so.. I tried it a couple of times and got nothing. I had no problem with like the seat belt one. I guess I will have to try one more time in the morning.
Old 02-06-13, 09:15 PM
Dylan19
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
you realize your comparing a e36 m3 handling and performance with your is350 right?
Yeah, I realize that, but I was also just talking about traction, not so much the handling or performance. Keep in mind that I have the exact same Blizzak tires on both cars in the winter. But anyways, I love that car in the snow, but I wanted a daily driver that would be good year around, so I figured a Lexus would do the trick. Test drove the 250 AWD and hated it, it was way too slow, so a week later I was on a flight out to Pennsylvania to get my 350, because I couldnt find one in my price range in Illinois.

I am hoping that I will get this sequence right, and I will love the Lexus again.
Old 02-06-13, 11:33 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Still, I wonder why you're having issues though. Most people are doing fine in winter with traction control on and using just the SNOW function on the ECT button. I'd think especially in the winter snow, you'd want the traction control on.
Old 02-07-13, 12:01 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
nothing sway bars, chassis brace, coilovers, and sticky tires can't fix
Old 02-07-13, 03:36 AM
GSE21tuner
Rookie

You can unplug the VSC. You'll have the warning lights on, but the traction control will be off all the time. lol
Old 02-07-13, 05:34 AM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It has nothing to do with handling performance.

The traction control in this vehicle is downright dangerous. I have an intersection near my house with painted crosswalk lines. The first time i tried to cross the street in the rain, my wheels slipped the tiniest bit on one of the painted lines and traction control killed all power and i was sitting in the middle of the road unable to put power to the wheels.

Fortunately, i have a 2007. For the last 5+ years, when I cross an intersection in the rain I hit the TC button once which allows me to spin the tires until 30MPH. There are also intersections where you have to use a bit of gas due to a blind corner or something. TC goes off on all of those.

Not sure what i'd do with a 2006. It's so invasive, I'd probably consider getting rid of it.
Old 02-07-13, 07:52 AM
vapid2323
Pole Position

I had a IS350 2006 and you CAN turn off the traction control this way, you are doing it wrong if its not.

Just about every Lexus I have ever sat in can have the traction control system turned off this way, I have tried a GS, LS, RX etc they all work.

Just alternate till the light comes on and make sure you start the car with the parking break engaged.
Old 02-07-13, 10:09 AM
skottydznt
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the traction control can be turned off. i have an 06 and if u dont do the pedal dance the car sucks. Traction control kicks in on every single turn and literally cuts your power the second it loses traction. I ABSOLUTELY HATE THE TRACTION CONTROL SYSTEM. what a joke.
Old 02-07-13, 10:16 AM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are your tires good? I feel like you're over applying the acceleration and causing the vehicle to freak out. I'm not saying it can't be mechanically wrong, I'm saying that it seems like given the info it's in part user error for removing the traction control. What about a battery reset? Just start everything over and see f the vehicle learns your new habits.
Old 02-07-13, 12:34 PM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Still, I wonder why you're having issues though. Most people are doing fine in winter with traction control on and using just the SNOW function on the ECT button. I'd think especially in the winter snow, you'd want the traction control on.
I have the same issue as him and the TC has almost made me get into a couple of accidents as it has cut the power on me as I'm making a left hand turn.

The way a remided the problem for my self was to do the Torsen LSD upgrade and now the first thing i do when i get in my car is turn off the TC system.

Quick Reply: Can I turn traction control completely off?