IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lessons learned and advice to all after accident

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-13, 01:51 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

i had a pretty major side impact accident on my IS250 last year (i've posted here also). it didn't have any frame work done, instead, they were replacing the parts connected directly to the frame, the final cost came in at $12k. I asked for totaled loss but insurance said it's not totaled because the car was too new (2011). after the fix, the car drives okay, but i still not 100% comfortable with the car. so i had it appraised at Carmax and a local Lexus dealer. the prices i got were seemed reasonable ($25k vs $27k KBB trade in price), so i traded in for my current ride.
Old 01-25-13, 01:54 PM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
i had a pretty major side impact accident on my IS250 last year (i've posted here also). it didn't have any frame work done, instead, they were replacing the parts connected directly to the frame, the final cost came in at $12k. I asked for totaled loss but insurance said it's not totaled because the car was too new (2011). after the fix, the car drives okay, but i still not 100% comfortable with the car. so i had it appraised at Carmax and a local Lexus dealer. the prices i got were seemed reasonable ($25k vs $27k KBB trade in price), so i traded in for my current ride.
Yeah, the "Accident" on the Carfax isn't that big of an issue. Every dealer said it would only be a $1-$2k reduction off trade in because the car looks so great now. But the "Structural Damage" is a deal breaker for them. Very different story apparently.
Old 01-25-13, 03:25 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Andoskyy
Here are some lessons I've learned over the last few days.

I've been trying to sell my IS350 in order to move to an SUV.

I was in an accident last October...there is a post on it here somewhere...it really didn't look like a big deal

Long story short. Rear ended, not at fault, $9k in damage, fixed properly by dealer recommended body shop. Car is great, happy with the fix.

Go to trade in my car and there is "Structural Damage" reported on the Carfax. Part of the trunk was repaired due to crumpling, and since it's uni-body, that's considered frame damage. KBB trade in value on my car is $15k. i was offered $5,500 for a trade, so I left to explore more options.

I stopped into a local dealer that specializes in salvaged cars. He said he couldn't believe that my car wasn't totaled, and in hindsight, i should not have authorized any work, left it at the body shop and the insurance company would have eventually totaled it for me. Basically just stood my ground and said "I don't want the car back". This was my first accident ever, so didn't know what to do at the time.

I have an offer from a wholesaler for $9k. He says that's all he can give me, because when he unloads it at auction, "Structural Damage" is just as bad as the word "Salvage"

So trying to sell the car privately now for a respectable price. I have 100% faith in the car and am offering full disclosure on the accident and what's currently going on.

So for those of you who get into so called "Fender Benders"...be careful. I was never made aware by anyone that "Structural Damage" was going to show up on the Carfax. As stupid of a company as Carfax is...people still run it every time.

Also be aware that in some states, you can't try to get "Diminished Value" from the guilty party's insurance company. In some states, I could go to his insurance company and get the $6k I'm losing because of the damage...but not in lovely Massachusetts!!

If any of you find this information valuable, please send me money...trying to ease the $6k bath I'm taking...or even worse...$12k+ bath if the car had been properly totaled.

All I can do now is be lucky I wasn't hurt, never let something like this happen to me again, and hopefully help others be aware of this kind of thing.
If the statute of limitations hasn't run out, then you should be able to file a claim in court against the party at fault for the "loss". His insurance may not cover it, as the party at fault he is still liable.

Last edited by My0gr81; 01-25-13 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-25-13, 03:40 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
If the statute of limitations hasn't run out, then you should be able to file a claim in court against the party at fault for the "loss". His insurance may not cover it, as the party at fault he is still liable.
I've actually read something similar to this when doing some research about diminished value claims. There seems to be a difference between diminished value claims against your own insurance and against another parties insurance. If you are trying to claim that money from your own insurance company, you are basically SOL. But if you are in an accident where someone else is at fault, it seems like most people have a pretty good chance at getting that money back.

Logically, that makes sense to me....if someone hits your car and you suffer a $5-6k loss because of it, after repairs, you deserve to be compenstated for that loss because the other parties insurance should be covering any losses to you for an accident that wasn't your fault. I would at least look into the option of getting in contact with that other persons insurane company (assuming you were not at-fault at all) and seeing what can be done about a diminished value claim. Your own insurance company might even be able to help you with this. Can't really hurt to try, at worst they will tell you they won't pay out.