IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Distance in which the ignition shuts off automatically??

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-13, 08:44 AM
mrcupide2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Distance in which the ignition shuts off automatically??

I tried to search this online and had no clue. My questions is whats the max distance in which you can be away from your is250 before it shuts off automatically?
Does any one? I know that when I warm my car up, I always just leave the key in the cup holder.
But If I wanted to bring the key with me how far of a distance can I walk before it shuts off?
Old 01-24-13, 08:50 AM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can bring the key with you. As far as i know, the vehicle will not shut off. If you shut it off, then obviousely it will not restart. I have left my key inside my house, drove around the block perfectly fine before just to check it out. I know any on the forums and people in general have complained that it is essentially unsafe. The vehicle just makes a beep sound so you are aware the key is not detected. I havent gone further then around the block so maybe others can help chime in?

So yes, you can start your car, warm it up all while key is inside the house.
Old 01-24-13, 08:50 AM
xtina
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I recall, there is no shut off distance. If they key gets far enough, it will show the "no key detected" in the car. It will not shut off. However, what will happen is that you will be unable to RESTART the car.

That just means it's super helpful when you turn on the engine, drop it accidentally outside of the car, and start driving off. Soon enough, your car will tell you it doesn't detect your key, and you can safely drive back to find your key.

Of course, you could always test this yourself. =)
Old 01-24-13, 08:53 AM
mrcupide2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xtina
From what I recall, there is no shut off distance. If they key gets far enough, it will show the "no key detected" in the car. It will not shut off. However, what will happen is that you will be unable to RESTART the car.

That just means it's super helpful when you turn on the engine, drop it accidentally outside of the car, and start driving off. Soon enough, your car will tell you it doesn't detect your key, and you can safely drive back to find your key.

Of course, you could always test this yourself. =)
Wow..no shut off... shout out to the thieves...
Old 01-24-13, 08:57 AM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could start the car, fly to the other end of the continent, and the car would still be running. No distance, OR time limit.
Old 01-24-13, 09:02 AM
mrcupide2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2GSKaizen
You could start the car, fly to the other end of the continent, and the car would still be running. No distance, OR time limit.
So basically the best prevention from theft is to start your car and then lock it while the key is in your pocket..
Old 01-24-13, 09:12 AM
hhss
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcupide2
So basically the best prevention from theft is to start your car and then lock it while the key is in your pocket..
Correct but I`ve tried locking my car when it was on with the key and nothing would happen. Does this happen to anyone else
Old 01-24-13, 09:13 AM
PlacidBoi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcupide2
This would be a very bad idea...
You cannot use your FOB to lock the doors when your car is on, meaning you'd have to manually lock in before closing the doors, and theres not a way I can think of, to unlock it when there's no one inside the car.
Old 01-24-13, 09:17 AM
mrcupide2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PlacidBoi
This would be a very bad idea...
You cannot use your FOB to lock the doors when your car is on, meaning you'd have to manually lock in before closing the doors, and theres not a way I can think of, to unlock it when there's no one inside the car.
oh okay, thanks for the hands up.
So DONT LOCK the car.
Old 01-24-13, 09:35 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't leave the Key Fob in the car, period. The factory security system isn't that great at all. Like someone already said, you can turn the car on, walk out with the key and someone can just hop into the car and drive off without the key. They wont be able to turn it back on again when they turn it off, but as long as they don't turn the car off, they can keep driving. I found that out when my brother took off in my car one day and left the key fob behind accidentally cuz he got out to grab something and forgot it.

If you really want to leave it running warming up a lot, I would get a remote start system installed. This way you remote start your car without even going to it, and the doors remain locked while its warming up. What i've seen some people do it is to get in the car and start it, roll down the windows (enough to get your hand thru) and then step out of the car, close the door and lock it by putting your hand in thru the window and pressing the lock button. But this method is pretty much useless - even though your door is locked, anyone can just stick their hand thru the window and unlock it and take off with your car.

Someone mentoned in another thread that you might be able to leave the key fob inside the car and lock it still if you have another key fob. If you have two, i guess you can test that method by leaving one in the car while its on and then getting out and locking it with your second one (I would leave a window rolled down in case it does actually lock!!! I'm thinking it wont allow that second key to work with one inside). Then take the second one far away out range, and walk up to the car and see if it will unlock anyways since there is a key fob in the car. If you decide to try this, let us know how that works out.

IMO, the key fob should work like it does in my old roomies 335i....In his car if you take the key out of the car and someone jumps in and tries to drive off, the MOMENT the brake is touched (when they are trying to shift it into drive on reverse) the car shuts off if the key fob isn't detected within the car. I really don't think it would have taken Lexus a lot more work to add this to our cars from the factory.

Last edited by KillaIS250; 01-24-13 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-24-13, 09:38 AM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PlacidBoi is correct. You have to pull the physical key out of the fob, and lock and the door, then use it to unlock the door. When the car is running, and it doesn't detect a key inside, it completely disables and signals coming from the electronic key fob. If it were me, I'd feel safe doing the physical locking while its running. Just take the electronic fob with you, don't leave it in the car.
Old 01-24-13, 10:04 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
IMO, the key fob should work like it does in my old roomies 335i....In his car if you take the key out of the car and someone jumps in and tries to drive off, the MOMENT the brake is touched (when they are trying to shift it into drive on reverse) the car shuts off if the key fob isn't detected within the car. I really don't think it would have taken Lexus a lot more work to add this to our cars from the factory.
Agree 100%. This would be ideal. I wonder if its possible to wire in some sort of kill switch tied to the brake pedal or something? I think more research into how the entire system works is in order.
Old 01-24-13, 10:24 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm pretty sure you can lock the car with your second fob if you want to step away from your car.

(Turn car on, throw the fob in the center console, and lock your car with the second fob)
Old 01-24-13, 10:49 AM
1Clean06IS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ill have to recheck, but I normally start the car, take the key out and lock the doors via the door handle lock push button on the outside (not sure what its called). Car beeps twice is if it locks, I guess it's possible it's not locking? When I return I unlock it via the same method and it beeps once and I drive away.
Old 01-24-13, 11:18 AM
mrcupide2
Driver School Candidate

Also our cars dont have a manual door lock on the outside of the handle, It can only be done thru via remote. =(

Quick Reply: Distance in which the ignition shuts off automatically??