IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Replace push start button

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-13, 06:15 PM
mrcupide2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YTL2000
There is nothing special about them apart from my name is Tom and the tuning connection just makes it more apt. Silly purchase really..
ahh iccc, I thought maybe you can choose different colors on them or something, I just wasnt sure. But that cool that your name is tom and your push start is a tom's
Old 01-25-13, 06:16 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

I popped off the chrome bezel, then used a small flat head to pop off the button. It was a pita for sure. To those that says this mod is silly or pointless I say great! I'd prefer your mods don't look like mine. That's what mods are all about. Individualization.

A side note, I paid $35 for my button shipped. The perks of working for a Japanese corporation

Last edited by rcJten; 01-25-13 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-25-13, 06:38 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

expensive price for a button

to each their own tho!
Old 01-26-13, 08:08 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

I picked up a TRD start button the whole thing. Plan on installing in the spring Ill go the nav removal route though dont want to break the button. FYI L Tuned sales these for like 263 a each.

Old 01-26-13, 09:00 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Also FYI, apparently the car will throw a warning on the instrument cluster when it notices that the key fob battery is low. I read that in a post somewhere recently..
this didn't happen for me and the car wouldn't open and i had no idea what the hell was going on. embarrassingly i had to call the lexus roadside assistance number to figure out how to get off the door key covers off without damaging them and then had to call back because i had no idea i had to hold the nearly dead key fob up to the dash when attempting to start.

to sum it up, that damn little light would have really helped had it illuminated but it never did!
Old 01-26-13, 10:11 AM
vicsis250
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand to each his own but really whats the point? make a custom sticker and stick it in front of stock and you are done or use vinyl.
Old 01-26-13, 04:50 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

I am in the process of moving the start button to the middle console. It literally prys right off with a plastic knife I use to eat food with. My trim puller was too thick for the button.
So the plastic knife was great.
Old 01-26-13, 07:22 PM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

The button or the silver ring?
Old 01-12-17, 08:05 PM
LexusAl
Driver School Candidate

I realize this is an old subject.But I need to add my two cents worth on push button starts in the Lexus LS series.I knew already when Lexus came out with these starts,they would be nothing but TROUBLE from day one.I don't trust new? technology like this.Well,it's not really new when push button starts started in the 20's and 30's on old model a's and others back then.So why would Lexus think this is the new norm.Get real Lexus.You screwed up.It's like this Lexus."If it ain't broke,don't fix it".
Stick to the old reliable car keys that you actually stick into the key hole and turn the dam key.What's so hard about that.You just want more reasons to charge the crap out of Americans and give them junk in relation to push button starting with new fangled crap that ain't worth a dam.I'll stick to my '95 and '99 LS400's with the regular car key.But it's not Lexus alone.Even Detroit got in on it.My brother bought an '09 Corvette and I tried to tell him not to buy it.That the start button would give him trouble.Well about a year later it sure did.Luckily his car was still under warranty and they replaced the bad switch.Folks,I don't trust switches that are electronic and will tear up eventually.I much prefer the manual turn key route.There's no substitute for simplicity.The simpler,the better.
Old 01-12-17, 08:22 PM
MAizz
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

You seem pretty passionate about your viewpoint on pushstarts but this is not that discussion. This thread is on changing the button itself for visual modifications, not for defect or opinion on turn key versus push start.
Old 01-12-17, 10:31 PM
P128sniper
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusAl
I realize this is an old subject.But I need to add my two cents worth on push button starts in the Lexus LS series.I knew already when Lexus came out with these starts,they would be nothing but TROUBLE from day one.I don't trust new? technology like this.Well,it's not really new when push button starts started in the 20's and 30's on old model a's and others back then.So why would Lexus think this is the new norm.Get real Lexus.You screwed up.It's like this Lexus."If it ain't broke,don't fix it".
Stick to the old reliable car keys that you actually stick into the key hole and turn the dam key.What's so hard about that.You just want more reasons to charge the crap out of Americans and give them junk in relation to push button starting with new fangled crap that ain't worth a dam.I'll stick to my '95 and '99 LS400's with the regular car key.But it's not Lexus alone.Even Detroit got in on it.My brother bought an '09 Corvette and I tried to tell him not to buy it.That the start button would give him trouble.Well about a year later it sure did.Luckily his car was still under warranty and they replaced the bad switch.Folks,I don't trust switches that are electronic and will tear up eventually.I much prefer the manual turn key route.There's no substitute for simplicity.The simpler,the better.
I am so Confused with all the possible things that can and do go wrong with our cars the push to start button is the last possible thing u should worry about lol.
Old 01-12-17, 10:33 PM
P128sniper
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MAizz
You seem pretty passionate about your viewpoint on pushstarts but this is not that discussion. This thread is on changing the button itself for visual modifications, not for defect or opinion on turn key versus push start.
I want this one so bad lol! Did u FFind one cheaper then the one that's 150 on ebay?
Old 01-13-17, 03:50 AM
MAizz
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by P128sniper
I want this one so bad lol! Did u FFind one cheaper then the one that's 150 on ebay?
I happened to get mine from a CL member who was parting out their F
Old 01-16-17, 05:15 AM
LexusAl
Driver School Candidate

MAizz,These are the 1st discussions in 4 years on this subject.So not too much interest on the matter.I know good and well what the subject is about.But I was trying to make a point.Why buy trouble in the first place.An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.The latest year model LS I would even think about buying would be the '03 before the push start button was installed.Next time I visit the Lexus dealership,I'll give them my two cents worth on the push button start,junk.On replacing the button,seems like an easy task.Just finding the right part at the right price.I've found quite a few parts on the bay in the past.Have a nice day.
Old 01-16-17, 06:32 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

I don't buy your premise. Old fashioned ignition switches are not necessarily more reliable. In fact wasn't that last big GM recall due to faulty mechanical ignition switches that would rotate unexpectedly and shut off the car when it was being driven, or even worse, turn off due to forces in an accident, preventing the airbag from deploying?

Quick Reply: Replace push start button