IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Mating a GS350 F-Sport Front Bumper to the 2IS (Step by Step)

Old 03-06-13, 01:33 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Sffd, for the edit above. I was on my cell phone.

The front view cameras finally came in. I've been so sick that I don't know when I will be installing them.

After the install I'll make video then let this thread die. Hope everyone is having a good week.
Attached Thumbnails Mating a GS350 F-Sport Front Bumper to the 2IS (Step by Step)-20130306_115510.jpg  
Old 03-06-13, 02:18 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

may i ask what are the main purposes of having a front camera?
Old 03-06-13, 02:56 PM
ThreeFive0
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CCJ22
Is this 350 from the my350z forum? If so how you been man? It's been awhile since I was over there now that I no longer have my Z.
To answer your question we had to cut the grill from the top to the bottom, remove a section of it, then restitch... Measure, then redo the whole process until it sat in flush.
They were going to use fusor but they decided on 3m instead. They preferred it's bounding over the fusor.
Nope, not me. lol. Do you have any pics of the process with the grill?
Old 03-06-13, 04:23 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dorkacho
may i ask what are the main purposes of having a front camera?
Absolutely, I use front cameras on my lowered vehicles in case I decide to pull into a parking space that has a curb or a raised bump stop.
Old 03-06-13, 04:24 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ThreeFive0
Nope, not me. lol. Do you have any pics of the process with the grill?
No sir, I have none. My apologies.
Old 03-06-13, 04:52 PM
ThreeFive0
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CCJ22
No sir, I have none. My apologies.
Ok, I think I see what your talking about now. You basically cut in in half and shortened the width of the grill and then staple it back together, correct? It doesnt look like HKS350 did that.
Old 03-28-13, 09:47 PM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

That front bumper is a great mod. these aftermarket company,s need to jump on that asap...
Old 04-01-13, 07:13 AM
teefar
Driver

Originally Posted by isfdude
That front bumper is a great mod. these aftermarket company,s need to jump on that asap...
Oh hell yeah, I'd buy that mod.
Old 04-01-13, 03:27 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by teefar
Oh hell yeah, I'd buy that mod.
This bumper may or may not be for sale in the classifieds.
Old 04-01-13, 04:58 PM
RayG
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what a GREAT mod. it looks really good with that front bumper. can't wait to see the final build.
Old 09-07-13, 01:28 AM
scorpionge
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

wow.. that was an amazing undertaking.. great final product =D
Old 10-24-16, 01:28 AM
Viktimize
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to bump old threads. Really been toying around with the idea of goofing around with a project like this in my garage if I can find an old stock bumper for cheap or free to hack apart, and still drive my car with its original bumper.

Anywho, not a lot of info in any of these threads. A little more than usual in this one, so thank you for that. Are you guys using templates you draw up to make your first cuts? Or are you just lining the bumper up to the car, and then using a sharpie to draw some rough cut lines on it?

If I had to do it myself with my limited body work knowledge. I would probably cut a fair portion off the stock bumper under the headlights, then line up the 3is bumper I'm grafting to have the grill flush with the hood, and make some rough cut lines with a good amount of overlap onto the original stock bumper pieces that will mouth under the headlights. Then with everything off the car, I could start using a dremel or something to slowly remove material on the 3is bumper until it roughly matches the cut lines of the stock bumper mount pieces. Once the lines are close, it can be mocked up against the car again. Use some bracing to hold the new bumper exactly where I want it to line up once mounted. Then put a few hot staples into it in the same way you do a tack weld, to hold align the old bumper pieces to the new. Then it can be removed from the car and start applying bonding compound.

How far off am I on this? This is always the big important information missing out of these threads. How do you cut properly? How do you maintain alignment perfectly through the bonding process and constant test fitments?
Old 10-24-16, 12:45 PM
PAVGR
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Viktimize
Sorry to bump old threads. Really been toying around with the idea of goofing around with a project like this in my garage if I can find an old stock bumper for cheap or free to hack apart, and still drive my car with its original bumper.

Anywho, not a lot of info in any of these threads. A little more than usual in this one, so thank you for that. Are you guys using templates you draw up to make your first cuts? Or are you just lining the bumper up to the car, and then using a sharpie to draw some rough cut lines on it?

If I had to do it myself with my limited body work knowledge. I would probably cut a fair portion off the stock bumper under the headlights, then line up the 3is bumper I'm grafting to have the grill flush with the hood, and make some rough cut lines with a good amount of overlap onto the original stock bumper pieces that will mouth under the headlights. Then with everything off the car, I could start using a dremel or something to slowly remove material on the 3is bumper until it roughly matches the cut lines of the stock bumper mount pieces. Once the lines are close, it can be mocked up against the car again. Use some bracing to hold the new bumper exactly where I want it to line up once mounted. Then put a few hot staples into it in the same way you do a tack weld, to hold align the old bumper pieces to the new. Then it can be removed from the car and start applying bonding compound.

How far off am I on this? This is always the big important information missing out of these threads. How do you cut properly? How do you maintain alignment perfectly through the bonding process and constant test fitments?
I made this in order to take the bumper in and out at the hight I wanted.

I put some small wheels under it to move it in and out.You have to cut the part of our bumper around the headlights first .It s better to cut the bumper slowly.Take your time.When the two bumpers meet you ll be close.Of course it's not that simple because the 3IS bumper is wider.
Everybody used different ways to mold the bumpers.I preferred to use our 2IS bumper lines and made the edges round as they where .If you reach this point I guess you ll have to make the dissicion of how you want to do it.Sorry for my English.I hope I helped.Good luck
Old 10-24-16, 01:10 PM
Viktimize
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome. Thanks for the feedback.

So with the 3is being wider, are you just using the flexibility of the bumper to pull it in on the side until it meets the outside lines of the 2is bumper?
Old 10-25-16, 12:38 PM
PAVGR
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

The truth is that I let this job to the professionals.He told me that you have to make some cuts on the 3IS bumper downwards and then push them in order to meet the 2IS bumper.There s no way to make it feet differently only if you heat it or leave the nerve the 3IS bumper have and make the conversion as all the others did.I left most of the sides from my 2IS bumper.People who has seen the the bumper in photos and then in real says that it s 100 times better in person.I believe that too.
This is what it looked like with the one side done

Ready for paint

I hope I helped!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mating a GS350 F-Sport Front Bumper to the 2IS (Step by Step)