Transmission oil .. freaking out here

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-12, 01:57 AM
A.C Milan
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission oil .. freaking out here

Hello everyone .

As most of you probably know , the Transmission oil on the 2IS is a "lifetime" oil that will need no replacing .

I've read allot of threads and pages here long time ago of people arguing whether it should be changed or left alone . After allot of thinking I decided to keep my oil and now I'm starting to freak out.

I feel the gear changes are getting heavier and in rare cases it hesitates , it's not that bad , it's just not like it used to be .

it's a 2007 IS300 ( Middle East Spec ) with 130000 km (80000 mi) .

a mechanic checked the oil and said that it's better to leave it alone at this stage . as it is in a bad condition and replacing it may cause problems .

so is there anyone out there that has never changed the transmission oil and didn't encounter any problems ?

Thanks
Old 12-31-12, 05:28 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

There are a few members with 100K + miles with no problems. I think one of the members hit over 250k before the trans gave out. I personally have 85K on mine with no issues. (stock fluid).
Old 12-31-12, 06:17 AM
jsmacks
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Read through this: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...n-fluid-2.html
Old 12-31-12, 10:41 PM
A.C Milan
Lead Lap

that's a little bit comforting jbjones , thanks .

and I've already been through that thread jsmacks , ALOT of info is mentioned there , but no definite answer to whether it is safe for someone in a situation like mine to replace the ATF or not ?

Thanks.
Old 01-01-13, 07:53 AM
AutoSexy13
Driver

Get it changed asap! my car did the same thing and after i got it done it drove 10 times better. When replacing trans fluid it has to be within spec on level and operating temp also. I just had lexus do it and it was probably the best $100 i spent on my car. I had 110k or so when i got it done.
Old 01-01-13, 08:45 AM
faisal11ir
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Change it baba don't waste time.. i change it every 70,000km with the filter and gasket.

1st time i changed it after 3 years of driving the car and when i did it LOOKED BLACK! same thing happened with the fuel filter in fuel tank when i changed it it was so dirty and black, people keep saying lifetime and they aren't not filters must be changed at some point.

500 ryal is nothing.

Seriously there isn't a lifetime thingy when it comes to oil it specially gear oil or it will start to get heavy at gear changes and kill clutches after a while..
Old 01-01-13, 12:18 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

maybe you should show these diagrams to your mechanic and seek for feedback.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2446051-post44.html
Old 01-01-13, 05:50 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Lifetime" fluid or not, I would have your dealer change it and see if it makes a difference. If it fixes your issue, problem solved. If not, you know that you have another issue.
Old 01-05-13, 05:06 PM
mmfm
Driver School Candidate

Dear,

did you chage it . Any good news. Bcause I have similar issue. I run it for 200,000 km. transmission seems normal but when I decided to change the oil, the dealer advised me that there is a 50% chance that the transmission may gave up after the oil change.

Other frinds any advise or past experiance

Last edited by mmfm; 01-05-13 at 05:07 PM. Reason: spilling
Old 01-05-13, 05:29 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had mine completely changed at 90k for peace of mind. It was rather expensive, but certainly worth it. Generally, with other cars people get transmission "flushes" which most certainly are bad for a transmission (wrecks seals, etc). On our cars, a special jig/machine is needed and it actually uses the cars pump to run the fluid out. Unless your fluid is way messed up, I'd say go ahead and change it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ler-is350.html
Old 01-05-13, 05:38 PM
neomedic
Pole Position

Has anyone found a shop in Los Angeles area that has the special machine that will hook up to our transmission heater/cooler to pull all the fluid out?

And how much was it?

Thanks.
Old 01-05-13, 06:35 PM
mmfm
Driver School Candidate

thanks koyoso,

the dealer represintitives advised me to change it and see what will happen after rathar than wait till it gave up and feed it.

others,any addtional experiance please
Old 01-05-13, 06:43 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by neomedic
Has anyone found a shop in Los Angeles area that has the special machine that will hook up to our transmission heater/cooler to pull all the fluid out?

And how much was it?

Thanks.

At the time I had it done, only one of the six Lexus dealers in my city had the equipment to do it. You will want to check with the dealers first. Maybe check a couple of Scion dealers as the new FR-S auto uses the same transmission now. I'd really highly doubt private shops will have this equipment.
Old 01-05-13, 07:32 PM
mmfm
Driver School Candidate

By the way another lexus representitive advised me to change it in stages by replacing 30 % of the oil then 50% and after that to replace it all. .

Some body is saying this is to convince the brain of the car. How is this sound
Old 01-05-13, 09:50 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mmfm
By the way another lexus representitive advised me to change it in stages by replacing 30 % of the oil then 50% and after that to replace it all. .

Some body is saying this is to convince the brain of the car. How is this sound

Sounds like a great way for them to get to charge you 3 times for a fluid change.

Doesn't make sense in any other way though. The "brain" of the car has no idea the condition of your transmission fluid, outside of its temp.

That, or they don't have the proper machine and they're just gonna do a 10% change each time and not explain that to you.

Quick Reply: Transmission oil .. freaking out here