IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Why am I losing air in my tire?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-13, 08:39 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Why am I losing air in my tire?

So I think that I have a nail or something in my front driver side tire.

My low tire pressure light came on the dash so I put air in all my tires, front to 35 psi and rear to 37 psi.

About 3-4 days later, the low tire pressure light comes on again so I go to check the air. Every tire is fine expect for the front driver side which fell to 22ish psi. I find that odd so I fill it back up to 35 psi and decide to monitor it.

The low tire pressure light came on AGAIN tonight on my way to my friends house so I check them all and the front driver side fell down to the low 20s again, only 2 days after filling it up to 35 psi.

Is there a leak in my tire? What else could cause it? Can a tire shop fix it?
Old 01-02-13, 08:42 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

You probably picked up a nail or screw in your tire. It's the kind of thing that tire shops fix all day, every day.
Old 01-02-13, 08:47 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get your local garage to check that tire. Could be you picked up a nail or it could be a stem leak. A quick squirt of some soapy water will help identify the source of the problem. Soapy water will bubble where the leak is. Yep....
Old 01-02-13, 08:54 PM
ThreeFive0
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same thing happened to me and I dealt with it for about three weeks until I got new rims and tires. After taking the stock wheels off, I then saw that I had a nail in my tire.
Old 01-02-13, 09:09 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Do I need to take it to a tire shop that deals with high end wheels and lowered cars? Should I trust a tire kingdom or meineke?

Does the shop have to remove the tire from my rim to fix it, if for example I have a nail in my tire?
Old 01-02-13, 09:13 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bob4256
Do I need to take it to a tire shop that deals with high end wheels and lowered cars? Should I trust a tire kingdom or meineke?

Does the shop have to remove the tire from my rim to fix it, if for example I have a nail in my tire?
Any tire shop will be fine. Just make sure, even as with dealers, they don't damage your wheels. Depends on how they fix it, my old tire had a nail in it and Lexus fixed it for me for free by plugging it. Plugs don't require dismounting the tire. The plug still let some air out over time. If they patch/plug it, they have to take off the tire.
Old 01-02-13, 10:21 PM
Samieee
Pole Position

Usually, nail/screw damage doesn't require dismounting of the tire. If the nail is near the sidewall, I suggest changing the tire.
Old 01-02-13, 10:33 PM
Nelly
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This LITERALLY happened to my last week and this week. I filled them all up and one of them kept dropping down 10psi everyday. Took my tire off today and saw a nail stuck in it. I used a tire plug kits that you stick into the hole and patched it back up. Been's good so far.
Old 01-03-13, 12:40 AM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a nail in my old tire. I just went to autozone to get a plug kit. Removed the nail and plugged it in less than 10 minutes. It was good the whole time until I changed all my tires. It's not a biggy. It's a quick fix but like Samieee said, if the nail is near the sidewall, just change the tire.
Old 01-03-13, 06:26 AM
Skyfox16
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

On my last car my tire was loosing are like you described so i had a friend slowly drive my car in a parking lot with the front wheels turned and sure enough i was able to find the nail. Took it to a shop and had it patched. Another time it was the TPMS sensor that was leaking at the gasket, took it into my local tire shop and they used a rebuild kit and it was fine then. Most recently when i went into the dealer they said my front tire was leaking around the bead/seal. They mounted my winter tires and no problems now.
Old 01-03-13, 06:42 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob did you make a thread about a nail bro ?!

Like everyone else said, if the nail ends up being on the sidewall I would get a new tire. It could also be the tpms, I had the problem once and it was because the seal was leaking.
Old 01-03-13, 08:03 AM
jsmacks
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread cracks me up..

My next thread will be entitled: "Why is my car dirty?"

"I drove home through rain last night and I come out this morning to.. a dirty car!! Why is this?!"

"It's rain, man. Gets dirt on your car"

"Crap.. can I wash it? Should I take it to the car wash? Will they wash it?"

Ahh.. the mysteries of life.

Last edited by jsmacks; 01-03-13 at 08:08 AM.
Old 01-03-13, 08:16 AM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jsmacks

"I drove home through rain last night and I come out this morning to.. a dirty car!! Why is this?!"

i literally LOL'ed!
Old 01-03-13, 08:26 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jsmacks

lol while i agree, you do have to realize that not everyone on the forums are car savvy and are just looking for a little conformation.
Old 01-03-13, 08:28 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Ever since I bought my 250 I've had tire pressure issues. It would keep losing air at random intervals, on different tires every time. Usually had to fill the tires once a month. I kept taking it back to the dealer to have them fix the issue, and I had no nails or patches leaking, and they re-did the bead on all 4 tires twice. After they resealed the bead the second time, I swapped my wheels for my winter set. The tires have been sitting in my garage since, and a month and a half after taking them off, the tire pressure is low again. I think the only thing left is the TPMS valve not being sealed correctly.

Quick Reply: Why am I losing air in my tire?