IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Going to Tahoe on Christmas!! any suggestion?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-12, 11:21 PM
JasonChang
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to Tahoe on Christmas!! any suggestion?

Hey fellas!! I'm planing on going to Tahoe this Christmas! Does anyone has any experiences going there with their RWD IS? I know we all have snow mode, but does it safe enough to not using snow chains? Or it's better to rent some chains? I never go there before with my car so I'm very curious!! And of course this will be the first time seeing snow in person !!

Any input would be greatly appreciate!!

And Merry Christmas guys!!

Jason
Old 12-23-12, 11:35 PM
ILL250
Driver

You will need snowchains for sure. I regretted one time not getting snow chains and I was stuck for almost 2 hours waiting for the road to clear. Or you use someones car thats has awd
Old 12-23-12, 11:41 PM
infate
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Went to Reno and Tahoe from SF a couple of times during this time, you'll definitely need snow chains. The first time I went, there were authorities selling snow chains because it was mandatory. I wasn't in my IS and I had a FWD van, but it was still pretty damn nasty. Hope the snow isn't that bad the day you go, because if it is, oh man will you have to drive a long time. From a three hour trip to a six hour trip.
Old 12-23-12, 11:53 PM
2slixx
Lexus Test Driver

If your car is dropped, I wouldn't take it at all. Forecast for Tahoe on Christmas day is snow all day and road conditions are going to be harsh. I went up to Sierra Tahoe Ski Resort last year in my 4x4 Tacoma and even then I was having a hard time gaining traction during the storm. Just my two cents. If road was CLEARED and it wasn't snowing you'd be fine. Just check the forecast w/e you chose to do stay safe and drive with CAUTION.
Old 12-24-12, 12:11 AM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was there Fri-Sat. Crazy weather. Chains required unless you have a 4x4. There are checkpoints about 30 miles. We experienced white outs.

This from Reno going to Sierra on Saturday.
Old 12-24-12, 12:38 AM
JasonChang
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ILL250
You will need snowchains for sure. I regretted one time not getting snow chains and I was stuck for almost 2 hours waiting for the road to clear. Or you use someones car thats has awd
Damn haha! I hope you were ok lol but thanks for the quick info bro!! how much was the chain tho?

Originally Posted by infate
Went to Reno and Tahoe from SF a couple of times during this time, you'll definitely need snow chains. The first time I went, there were authorities selling snow chains because it was mandatory. I wasn't in my IS and I had a FWD van, but it was still pretty damn nasty. Hope the snow isn't that bad the day you go, because if it is, oh man will you have to drive a long time. From a three hour trip to a six hour trip.
so much to learn just to go on snow!! Snow always sounds fun to me in my childhood but then I now realized lol... Thanks man!!

Originally Posted by 2slixx
If your car is dropped, I wouldn't take it at all. Forecast for Tahoe on Christmas day is snow all day and road conditions are going to be harsh. I went up to Sierra Tahoe Ski Resort last year in my 4x4 Tacoma and even then I was having a hard time gaining traction during the storm. Just my two cents. If road was CLEARED and it wasn't snowing you'd be fine. Just check the forecast w/e you chose to do stay safe and drive with CAUTION.
So much thanks to you bro!!
So even with this weather: http://www.weather.com/weather/holid...+USCA1125:1:US
not a good day for my car hun? Then I'll need a car then.

Originally Posted by don
Was there Fri-Sat. Crazy weather. Chains required unless you have a 4x4. There are checkpoints about 30 miles. We experienced white outs.

This from Reno going to Sierra on Saturday.
WOW, look so scary!! Was it heavy storm that day? I heard the weather wasn't very good.
but thanks to you man! nice picture explains everything

You guys are awesome
Old 12-24-12, 01:10 AM
don
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JasonChang

WOW, look so scary!! Was it heavy storm that day? I heard the weather wasn't very good.
but thanks to you man! nice picture explains everything

You guys are awesome
Yup big storm. Sierra closed down their black/blue runs. Just be careful and drive slow.

This was Carson City while we were at Burger King. Snow was falling big and fast.
Old 12-24-12, 01:13 AM
JasonChang
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by don
Yup big storm. Sierra closed down their black/blue runs. Just be careful and drive slow.

This was Carson City while we were at Burger King. Snow was falling big and fast.
Alrite thx! haha looks so beautiful man! I remember this kind of place is my dream country when I was little .
I'm glad you are ok
Old 12-24-12, 01:19 AM
don
Lexus Champion

Alrite thx! haha looks so beautiful man! I remember this kind of place is my dream country when I was little .
I'm glad you are ok
It was beautiful. I think the storm is calming down so you might be ok. We're going back up next Saturday the 29th. Which resort are you going to?
Old 12-24-12, 02:03 AM
JasonChang
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by don
It was beautiful. I think the storm is calming down so you might be ok. We're going back up next Saturday the 29th. Which resort are you going to?
Good to know! XD
not sure because this is my first time going there! Any good place for playing around and good scenery?
Old 12-24-12, 02:03 AM
Joshohoho
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

since the topic is about the snowy conditions in california. I'm planning to go to High Mountain near LA. are snow chains or snow tires required there too? and does anyone in that area know the weather there? Ihave an IS250 RWD and I was told some areas where there is snow have check points for proper snow tire/chains. TIY.
Old 12-24-12, 02:24 AM
don
Lexus Champion

Good to know! XD
not sure because this is my first time going there! Any good place for playing around and good scenery?
I'm not sure where you can play in the snow (safely) other than the resorts. I'd say anywhere around Lake Tahoe but I'm just guessing.

Originally Posted by Joshohoho
since the topic is about the snowy conditions in california. I'm planning to go to High Mountain near LA. are snow chains or snow tires required there too? and does anyone in that area know the weather there? Ihave an IS250 RWD and I was told some areas where there is snow have check points for proper snow tire/chains. TIY.
Just call 511 and get the road conditions. If it's storming, have chains just in case and know how to install them.
Old 12-24-12, 06:20 AM
ShawnD
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Suggestons: Enjoy yourself son! You're on vacation!
Old 12-24-12, 10:22 AM
yammy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going down today too! Might have to take my IS although I don't want to...but like ^^ he said. Ima just enjoy myself! Haha. Might blue tape the front of my car though..reduce rock chips to a minimal.. I hope to see some of you guys out there in your IS's :P
Old 12-24-12, 10:38 AM
lexusmt
Driver School Candidate

If you are planning on going up to Tahoe more than once, go ahead and purchase a set of cable chains. We came across Donner Pass a couple of years ago in our 350C and had no problems with the cable chains. There was not a lot of clearance between the tires and the fenders, so installation was a little difficult. Otherwise performed very well in 4-6 inches of snow. Just drive at a reasonable speed and occasionally clear out the snow that gets trapped between the tires and the fenders. Also avoid driving too far on bare pavement with chains or you'll quickly wear them out.

Quick Reply: Going to Tahoe on Christmas!! any suggestion?