My IS 250 shows Check VSC & Check Engine light. Codes read 303 & 305

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-12, 01:29 PM
Steffy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My IS 250 shows Check VSC & Check Engine light. Codes read 303 & 305

HELLO CL!

Well I was on my way to Santa Cruz (very montainy) my car felt like it lost a little umph. Then the dash lit up with the red "!" "Check VSC" & the awful "check engine light". I pulled over, turned off the car, sat for awhile, and then turned her back on no issue. Drove off relieved and happy. As soon as I got home I came here and checked to see who else had this problem. Lots of folks and the easy fix was the gas cap. I checked it out and everything looked fine, but gave it an extra tight turn.

So the next very cold morning I go to turn it on, and all the same lights came on immediately. Car also felt like it lost it's power. I drove it over to Wichester Auto, since Oreiley/Kragens no longer reads codes, and I got 303 & 305. Which translates to cylinders 3 & 5 are misfiring. So the guy told me most likely spark plugs, but get it checked out.

So many phone calls later here I am. Appointment with Akin's Auto on Wednesday.

Exact Motors quoted me for NGK spark plug change only $396. Spark plugs and 90k service (with belt change) $870.00

Synergy Auto quotoed me for NGK spark plug change only $360. Spark plug and 90k service (no belt change) $642

Akin's Auto quoted me for spark plug & 90k service (no belt change) $400.

I called a lot more places, but didn't list them here. Now the reason why I chose to with Akin's is not the price, but the amount of time he spent on the phone with me. By now I knew what the 90k service entailed, so I listened attentively as he gave me the complete rundown. I also did not mention the codes that were read till late in the conversation(not by choice, just a lot of time on the phone) and he told me to wait. He said it could very well be the ignition coil and not the spark plugs at all. He said to bring it in and he can better determine the cause. He also was very adamant about me leaving there happy, and most importantly with my car leaving his shop and not running like crap. He will not charge for the diagnostic, if indeed it's one of those two problems. If it is not one of those problems, he will stop, call me with diagnosis, and I will get charged the $89 diagnostic fee (which is fair to me).

So here I am to share this with the club, and I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I will update you guys Wednesday and let you know how it goes.

Wish me and Brit luck!
Attached Thumbnails My IS 250 shows Check VSC & Check Engine light. Codes read 303 & 305-291882_201096649956340_1225683201_n.jpg  
Old 12-17-12, 02:23 PM
Tarrant64
Pole Position

Just curious, what kind of spark plugs did Akins quote to you? I noticed you specifically stated NGK in the previous 2 quotes.

The last two seem reasonable, $400-$600.

Good luck!
Old 12-17-12, 08:23 PM
Steffy
Driver School Candidate

Hey Tarrant.

Thanks I appreciate the luck. I asked for NGK as well, since most here recommend that or Denso. I hope to update with good news!
Old 12-18-12, 01:33 PM
misterhu
Driver School Candidate

The stock Denso OEM plugs are what most of us recommend for our 2IS. You can order them pretty cheap from Sewell with the CL discount and just pay for labor with your mechanic. I heard things about how aftermarket, regardless of brand, don't work well with our cars for some reason.
Old 12-18-12, 02:04 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the same thing happen to me before. If you went to the dealer and told them what happened they could check it out as well. I told them that my car was sluggish and wasn't running right and the lights went on. I had already bought the spark plugs from Sewell and the dealer did a top engine flush as well. Brought in my own Mobil 1 synthetic oil.....total cost at the dealer....FREE! Good luck.
Old 12-18-12, 04:52 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it might be an ignition coil starting to fail or failed. If you have two misfire codes, its usually because one misfire will also cause the companion cylinder to misfire as well. Not 100% sure if cylinders 3&5 are companions or not though.. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Old 12-18-12, 05:14 PM
halojereme
Driver School Candidate

I heard things about how aftermarket, regardless of brand
Old 12-18-12, 06:02 PM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm curious to hear from others; but would this would be part of the latest TSB recall for the Carbon Build Up issue. I would suggest taking it to the Lexus dealership as it may qualify for the recall.
I hope this helps,
Chris
Old 12-18-12, 08:14 PM
BrandonIS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by diverchris
I'm curious to hear from others; but would this would be part of the latest TSB recall for the Carbon Build Up issue. I would suggest taking it to the Lexus dealership as it may qualify for the recall.
I hope this helps,
Chris
No, not the same thing at all.
Old 12-18-12, 08:43 PM
mojo08m
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BrandonIS
No, not the same thing at all.
Please don't waste your money on something that will not fix your car (unless you really are due for
a new set of plugs which should be done every 60,000 miles). This is a textbook case of carbon build-up. You should take your car to the dealer and explain what is happening. This is a very common problem for the IS 250 and the repair calls for a replacement of the pistons. And don't worry about any issues with your vehicles warranty because this repair is covered for 10 years and has no mileage limit.

P.S. I got a chuckle out of the shop that quoted a timing belt replacement only because your car has a timing chain and Lexus has no maintenance interval for a timing chain replacement. Unless they quoted for a drive belt replacement then what a rip off.
Old 12-18-12, 09:09 PM
Steffy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by misterhu
The stock Denso OEM plugs are what most of us recommend for our 2IS. You can order them pretty cheap from Sewell with the CL discount and just pay for labor with your mechanic. I heard things about how aftermarket, regardless of brand, don't work well with our cars for some reason.
I will ask him to use OEM. Thank you.
Old 12-21-12, 01:42 PM
Steffy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by panda08
I think it might be an ignition coil starting to fail or failed. If you have two misfire codes, its usually because one misfire will also cause the companion cylinder to misfire as well. Not 100% sure if cylinders 3&5 are companions or not though.. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Hey ther panda08. You are right. I asked my service advisor, and he said they are aligned with one another.
Old 12-21-12, 01:49 PM
Steffy
Driver School Candidate

Thank you diverchris and mojo08m!!!

Because you guys, I took your advice and scheduled with the dealer, and cancelled my appointment with Akin's.

They are going to diagnose it for free, and my service advisor mentioned, that is not a recall yet, but a notice did get sent out to 2006-2010 IS owners. They said Lexus corporate is saying 5% of IS's are affected, but he felt it was way more than that.

Here is what's happening for me. Sweet 2013 RX loaner till they diagnose. He said that my car will need to recreate the misfires ten times, which he said will be no problem. Once it satisfies all criteria for this repair, it's a long waitlist for this major repair. Here in San Jose the parts are 90 days backorder. Then to schedule the repair is another 30 days. Till then, they will do a top engine flush on my car and I will have to drive it that way till my scheduled repair.

He will call me later today and let me know if this is the problem. Also, I get the feeling they want it to misfire. He said they know how to make the problem show itself, and they get paid either way.

Stay tuned and thanks everyone!!!!!!
Old 12-21-12, 02:13 PM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

^ curious, which dealer did you go to?
Old 12-21-12, 05:59 PM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm glad things appear to be working out for you.
Chris

Quick Reply: My IS 250 shows Check VSC & Check Engine light. Codes read 303 & 305