IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 Rear-Ended - Another One Down...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-12, 03:42 PM
Chemik
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy IS350 Rear-Ended - Another One Down...

So, unfortunately, I am also adding to the recent entries of rear-end collisions...

I got rear-ended on the highway... I was stopped in traffic and got hit... hard. Not sure how fast she was going because I didn't even see it coming, but there's no skid marks and it was a 65mph zone - we believe she was playing with her phone.

So, other than me hurting a fair bit, the car is hurt pretty badly as well - see pics below.

Here's a rundown of the damage, from my point of view:
  • 2008 IS350 - FULLY loaded w/ Luxury package and Nav
  • Only 17k miles(!) on the ticker & completely flawless - She wasn't even broken-in yet!
  • Quarter panel is creased (see pics)
  • I couldn't even open the driver's side door after the accident - fire dept/EMTs had to tear it open
  • The driver's side doors now physically touch - They need to be yanked to open - The gaps around both doors are now non-existent, so I would say that there's a fair amount of frame damage (twisted?)
  • The rear driver's side wheel looks to be slammed forward and now comes close to rubbing the sidewall
  • After the accident, the car was still in Drive - without brakes: it wasn't moving - I'd guess the rear-diff/axles and/or the driveshaft/transmission are all jacked-up
  • The exhaust was sheared right off the car - it's gone
  • The back-end is a complete disaster
  • I didn't collide with the car in front of me, so the car took the full force of the impact without rolling too much
  • Hit by a minivan, which was totaled and airbags deployed
  • Somehow, my airbags didn't deploy - I was told that those are usually more likely with front-end collisions
  • I am fully insured and so was the other driver.

Now, enter my insurance company: State Farm. They just hit me with an estimate of only $6k in visible damages... ... I mean, it's a uni-body, right? I am not even sure you could make it right if you wanted to with the doors being as jacked-up as they are. This car will never be right again and even if you could somehow replace the back half, who would want something that was hit that hard?! Do they do Diminished Value claims in CT? As much as I hate to say it because I LOVED that car, I really think it should just be totaled...

SO... guys, what do YOU think there is in damage?

Anyone with prior experience with a rear-end collision on an IS? Do you think this is a total loss?

Also, being in CT - Does anyone have any good contacts or pointers up here for a repair shop/independent estimate? Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.

The pics:

The doors touch and need a good amount of force to open/close...
Rear door is really bad...

Ow...

Thanks, guys...
Old 12-11-12, 03:55 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ouch! Sorry to hear about this, glad you are okay overall tho and hopefully you're back to 100% soon.

As far as the car goes, I wouldn't want that car back either, I love my car too - but if it took that kind of impact I would not want it anymore. You are right about a car like this never being the same again afterwards. I think there is more than $6k in damages there though (especially if your drivetrain needs repair) . I hope you're able to convince the insurance company to total it out, or maybe they will total it out after a bodyshop checks it over and gives their estimate. A 2008 IS350 with only that many miles still has a good amount of value tho. It's all up to the insurance company tho how they deem cars totaled, unfortunately.
Old 12-11-12, 04:19 PM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

Looks like more than $6K of damage but that is just me. Lets see what your insurance says. Glad to see that you were able to walk away from the accident. Good luck on the repairs.
Old 12-11-12, 04:26 PM
tedward88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Initial G
Looks like more than $6K of damage but that is just me. Lets see what your insurance says. Glad to see that you were able to walk away from the accident. Good luck on the repairs.
x2, way more than 6k worth of damage.

I know this sounds bad, but I hope the car is totaled, a car with that amount of damage will never be the same even if fixed to near perfection. I hope you went to the hospital to get checked out or go see a Chiropractor ASAP (including those who were in the car). Also, get a lawyer.

Take the car to the best and most expensive place for the tear down regardless of if your planning to keep the car or not. Do not like the other party's insurance company choose the shop for you, you have the right to choose the place.

Hope you and everyone in the car is ok. Good luck.

Source to my advice: gotten into t-boned by someone who ran a red.
Old 12-11-12, 04:27 PM
Shervin350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

6k? LOL 6 k maybe enough just for parts if used oem
Old 12-11-12, 04:29 PM
SL222
Rookie

Bumper cover alone is 1100$ painted at the lexus body shop (having mine done now).

Add all off the rest in there and that's way more then 6k, no questions about it.
That's totaled for sure.
Old 12-11-12, 04:35 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch glad your ok.... Car sad to say is gonna be a loss..
Old 12-11-12, 05:13 PM
Chemik
Driver School Candidate

Yep - You guys are all confirming my thoughts - didn't think I hit my head that bad, so I'm glad I'm not crazy.

I was the only one in the car and they took me out on a back-board via ambulance. My back and neck have been torn-up pretty bad since - I can't even imagine the shape I'd be in if I wasn't wearing a seatbelt.

Hell, the paint job alone will be around 4-5k, let alone anything else. I am going to begin the search for a shop that would be willing to take a look at it and counter-estimate it. Let me know if any of you have some recommendations for the area.

Thanks again -
Old 12-11-12, 05:14 PM
JasonChang
Lead Lap

So sorry to hear that man... Numerous IS are getting cursed!! I mean, its obviously totaled, my car with only right front fender, bumper, wheel repair and the damage cost over $5000k! With the inspection from body shop, insurance is going to be hard not to totaled it. The cost they told you just the "Estimate", so don't be so upset with that number! It can be adds up. I'm glad you are ok.. I hope everything will goes to ur favor and replace a new car ASAP. Good luck man!
Old 12-11-12, 05:22 PM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Had the same thing happen to me about a month ago, cost me 4k. worst part is paid for it all on my own
Before and after pics
Attached Thumbnails IS350 Rear-Ended - Another One Down...-68442_10151206849634116_2058382634_n.jpg   IS350 Rear-Ended - Another One Down...-edit-44.jpg   IS350 Rear-Ended - Another One Down...-edit-55.jpg   IS350 Rear-Ended - Another One Down...-8222875622_398409a1a7_b.jpg   IS350 Rear-Ended - Another One Down...-tunerfest1.jpg  

Old 12-11-12, 05:24 PM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the almost exact same damage to my car....it was 15k to fix, there is A LOT of work that needs to be done once they tear the car down, A LOT! The car was never the same, trunk didn't close right, the gaps between the door and the quarter panel were smaller/larger in some spots. The car handled like complete ****. I was so dissatisfied, I bought the car back three times to fix ever little minor detail. Then the auto body shop bought the car from me because I called GEICO to complain on the work. Just hope they will total it. If not, the auto insurance company has an obligation to bring your car back to pre-accident condition.....hopefully you'll have pics of your lexus before the accident, it really helps.
Old 12-11-12, 05:32 PM
Sledder
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by juvi22003
Had the same thing happen to me about a month ago, cost me 4k. worst part is paid for it all on my own
Before and after pics
Granted I can't see the full extent of the damage on your car... No offense, but the OP's crash was significantly more severe. The frame is buckled in places, along with possible drivetrain damage (which would not be surprising.)

I would not trust a car ever if the chassis/frame has damage, even if it straightened back out. If it were hit again like that, it would cause significantly more catastrophic damage.

Good luck with the car.
Old 12-11-12, 05:36 PM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sledder
Granted I can't see the full extent of the damage on your car... No offense, but the OP's crash was significantly more severe. The frame is buckled in places, along with possible drivetrain damage (which would not be surprising.)

I would not trust a car ever if the chassis/frame has damage, even if it straightened back out. If it were hit again like that, it would cause significantly more catastrophic damage.

Good luck with the car.
I though the frame was shifted but after it went on the machine they said everything was fine. As for where the damage happened everything lined back up perfectly. I know my damage is not as bad as his but sometimes it depends on the body shop you brings it to.
Old 12-11-12, 05:39 PM
JasonChang
Lead Lap

^^ Like him said, but most of the body shop will double up the cost of the damage. Money talks. If you have any friend with a familiar shop that will really helps.
Old 12-11-12, 05:57 PM
RVCAis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

all these accidents are reminding me of my accident a year ago when my car was totaled..

Quick Reply: IS350 Rear-Ended - Another One Down...