IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 250 2jz swap information

Old 04-03-14, 05:55 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mikellucci
I think in our msgs I forgot to mention steering if you consider that an amenity. I'm really stumped at what steering solution you will use as it will likely need to be a mock up solution like Thumper's build with the LS swap. I think your biggest hurdles are going to be at what rate you guys can problem solve and devise machining solutions with reasonable turn around time. IE- motor mounts, tranny mount, drive shaft, shifter, radiator mount, etc., etc. And that's only the "physical fit" aspect of the build.

Are you going built auto, r154 or v160?
Auto tranny. And steering I need to figure out for sure... Toyomoto used stock steering rack and EPS, thumper swapped it. So it CAN be done, trying to figure out why it was so hard or why Thumper chose to swap it out.
And yes, I would like to keep this luxury lol
Old 04-03-14, 06:01 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by heyarms
Auto tranny. And steering I need to figure out for sure... Toyomoto used stock steering rack and EPS, thumper swapped it. So it CAN be done, trying to figure out why it was so hard or why Thumper chose to swap it out.
And yes, I would like to keep this luxury lol
Youre an engineer; anything CAN be done! Its really going to come down to what you want to get out of the car and keep....Like someone said, if its a weekend/show car I'd be less concerned with keeping anything luxury related. Any gear head can get that motor in and running...its going to be at what cost on your current electronic platform. The hardware will take time but only because you will be at the mercy of a machinist or similar.
Old 04-03-14, 08:32 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
^^What will your choice of engine management be on this project?

I think you need to nail down the "luxury" features you mandatorily have to have...and from there you can work around that. With such an "extreme" swap, obviously getting those small details to work will be difficult at the very least. Honestly though, if it was my "weekend only" car, I could care less for all those small details to work...as I'd be fully involved with enjoying the sound of my open WG dump or my turbo spooling.
Sorry missed your post earlier somehow!

My buddy who will be doing this I believe wants to go with single turbo, auto tranny and stock ecu to push it right around 500whp. I'm a total noob with the 2jz, but I love what they're capable of, so he's the master mind behind it all.

As far as luxuries, nothing is a MUST. I would LIKE a/c and the radio and that's pretty much my wish list aside from the performance and mechanicals of a functioning and drivable car.

Originally Posted by mikellucci
Youre an engineer; anything CAN be done! Its really going to come down to what you want to get out of the car and keep....Like someone said, if its a weekend/show car I'd be less concerned with keeping anything luxury related. Any gear head can get that motor in and running...its going to be at what cost on your current electronic platform. The hardware will take time but only because you will be at the mercy of a machinist or similar.
Agreed... It's still funny to me because I'm doing all this worrying and meanwhile my buddy seems quite content. Lol Evasive Motorsports answered my email in regards to their 3IS 2jz swap so I need to see how much they're willing to let me pick their brains tomorrow
Old 04-03-14, 08:45 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The Evasive Motorsports 3IS 2JZ swap was done very nicely. Those are probably the guys to speak to. Too bad you're not in So Cal to talk to them in person.
Old 08-12-14, 01:12 PM
mrfresh
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by heyarms
Get in touch with the only guy in the US that is known to have successfully done this. Most answers you'd find from the vast majority here I'd consider hear-say.

Here's a link the "THE-IS" 's thread on my.is who did the swap, i dont think he ever registered or posted on club lexus about the swap.

http://my.is/forums/f156/is250-2jz-v...runnin-418446/
NOT THE ONLY PERSON!!!

GOOGLE "Kazama Auto Lexus IS250 2JZ"

http://thenaritadogfight.com/2013/01...1sl-2jz-is250/

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5764035&type=1