IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Problem - Cruise Control doesn't work when TPMS light on?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-12, 04:59 PM
Nilism
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Problem - Cruise Control doesn't work when TPMS light on?

Hi,

I'm having an issue with my cruise control not working. This is on a new IS350 (2012). Last I check it was working. Two three things have changed since then.

1) Winter tires/rims are on and they don't have TPMS installed (the TPMS light only comes on once and a while... I park close to my summers, this may have something to do with it, or it's just a ****ty system)
2) A remote start was installed (astro, dealer installed)
3) The steering wheel was replaced (dealer replace due to damage in the leather)

Potentially all three of these could be why. I phoned the dealer and asked about the cruise issue. They thought that the TPMS light being on would likely prevent the vehicle going into cruise mode. Can anyone confirm if this is true?

Also, can someone explain to me what an effective test of the TPMS would be? Is the light being off enough? Do the tires need to be in certain positions around the vehicle, or is in the truck or something like that good enough if I want to test with the summers?

Personally I think it's the work the dealership did and has nothing to do with the TPMS. I would like to be knowledgeable on the subject before they try to sell me sensors for my winters. TPMS is totally garbage IMO, doesn't do jack **** that any aware driver wouldn't already know as the ISx50 iteration does not actually relay pressure values.

Lastly, does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade an isx50 to a TPMS that does relay preasure values and tire positions?

Thanks for any advice!
Old 11-27-12, 05:50 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd say when they replaced steering wheel, they didn't hook up the cruise control properly or damaged it. Other two have nothing to do with cruise control (at least the TPM for sure)

I'm now rolling in my 4th winter without TPM and I use cruise control all the time
They're just trying to push the blame to something else....trick you into buying TPM and paying for their extremely overpriced labour and then say "oops, problem still not solved"

Stealerships are so full of Stealer*****s
Old 12-06-12, 11:14 AM
Nilism
Rookie

So the car went into the dealership to fix a problem they hadn't managed to address properly the last time. I had them look at the cruise control while doing this.

The problem was they forgot to plug in the connection, or to properly plug it in... these things are almost impossible to plug in half way, so I'm going with 'they just forgot' on this one.

So cruise control works again, or at least the light activates on the dash, haven't actually tested all the functionality yet.

They did manage to **** up the lower dash while completing this repair though. The lower plastic piece that sits below the steering wheel and houses the front window defroster switch is no sitting right and the defrosting switch is not can not toggle without binding in the on position.

These guys can't seem to do a single thing right. Every time the car goes back to them to fix something they **** something else up and it needs to go back again... lol I hope corporate isn't actually paying the dealership for this level of incompetence.

A new dealership opened up in town about 2 months ago... Will they service the vehicle there I wonder? Maybe they are better.

EDIT: Apparently they aren't open quite yet.
http://www.lexussouthpointe.com/

Last edited by Nilism; 12-06-12 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-09-12, 08:48 AM
69charger
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nilism
Hi,

I'm having an issue with my cruise control not working. This is on a new IS350 (2012). Last I check it was working. Two three things have changed since then.

1) Winter tires/rims are on and they don't have TPMS installed (the TPMS light only comes on once and a while... I park close to my summers, this may have something to do with it, or it's just a ****ty system)
2) A remote start was installed (astro, dealer installed)
3) The steering wheel was replaced (dealer replace due to damage in the leather)

Potentially all three of these could be why. I phoned the dealer and asked about the cruise issue. They thought that the TPMS light being on would likely prevent the vehicle going into cruise mode. Can anyone confirm if this is true?

Also, can someone explain to me what an effective test of the TPMS would be? Is the light being off enough? Do the tires need to be in certain positions around the vehicle, or is in the truck or something like that good enough if I want to test with the summers?

Personally I think it's the work the dealership did and has nothing to do with the TPMS. I would like to be knowledgeable on the subject before they try to sell me sensors for my winters. TPMS is totally garbage IMO, doesn't do jack **** that any aware driver wouldn't already know as the ISx50 iteration does not actually relay pressure values.

Lastly, does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade an isx50 to a TPMS that does relay preasure values and tire positions?

Thanks for any advice!
My cruise control radar in the front bumper was hit by a rock and would work sometimes, take a look, good luck. My car insurance paid for it's replacement, thank god, the part was $1,800.
Old 12-12-12, 05:11 AM
Nilism
Rookie

Originally Posted by 69charger
My cruise control radar in the front bumper was hit by a rock and would work sometimes, take a look, good luck. My car insurance paid for it's replacement, thank god, the part was $1,800.
I don't think the is350 had radar for adaptive cruise? And yeah that's an outrageous price... Lol makes me think twice about buying out my lease.