IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2009 IS250 sensitive clutch/smell

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-12, 07:15 PM
Matteois
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 IS250 sensitive clutch/smell

Hi everyone. This is my second post about my clutch. Now I have changed 3 transitions, 3 fly wheels and 3 clutches. I have driven many cars that were all manual and in all my years of driving I have never smelled my clutch. When I ride the clutch sometimes when I am backing out of my driveway which is downhill or when going uphill I smell my clutch burning. It smells like Burnt rubber similar to burning tires all throughout the car. Now remember this is my 3rd clutch and transimision. These parts were changed due to a defect in the Transmision. I took my car to another Lexus dealer where I know the mechanics are much better when it comes to other repairs that were needed but the head mechanic told me that these clutches are very sensitive and are not that great. I beloved him when he said that because I feel that the clutch is garbage. Does anyone have or had similar problems? Keep in mind that I gave the 500mile break in with the new clutch. There is also a noise coming from behind my radio console that sounds like something is turning but stops the miniute I engage the clutch down. When I realease the clutch it returns. I was told this is a characteristic of the car. I have driven a mustang 5.0, a 1999 golf and a 2003 civic and never once heard any of these noises or smelled any of these smells. I don't think it's normal for a Lexus to be doing this. Especially that I baby the car and rarely open it up.
The smell from te clutch and the noise from behind the radio has been there since I bought the car
Your thoughts are appreciated
Thanks

Last edited by Matteois; 11-22-12 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-23-12, 05:22 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Very strange, I've owned my 6MT for almost 4 years now and I have not experienced any of these symptoms. I actually had the my gearbox replaced do too the TSIB and my serviced advisor said my clutch and flywheel were in great condition.

As for the noise your hear when you press on the cluth it could either be the throw out bearing or the jar of marbles (aka the two piece flywheel)

Hopefully member Jeff Lagne sees this thread and he can give some input as he’s well versed with these cars and he also owns a 6MT.
Old 11-23-12, 09:29 AM
Matteois
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B16da9
Very strange, I've owned my 6MT for almost 4 years now and I have not experienced any of these symptoms. I actually had the my gearbox replaced do too the TSIB and my serviced advisor said my clutch and flywheel were in great condition.

As for the noise your hear when you press on the cluth it could either be the throw out bearing or the jar of marbles (aka the two piece flywheel)

Hopefully member Jeff Lagne sees this thread and he can give some input as he’s well versed with these cars and he also owns a 6MT.
It's just really frustrating to have finally bought an awesome ride and experience problems like this. Is there any other clutch I can replace it with to make it run smooth?