IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation - "External System Not Connected"

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-13, 06:27 PM
terp05
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just checking in as another 06 IS250 owner with the vertical bars/System Rebooting/External System Not Connected issues. I did the 'Navigation Hack' way back in the day and it's on my list to pull apart the nav unit and check all of the connections. From reading your experiences thus far however, I'm hoping for loose wires... I'm hoping to take it apart this weekend and will check back.
Old 05-29-13, 12:52 AM
UCF3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By any chance has anyone been able to solve this issue? Just got the problem trying to troubleshoot the VAIS XM unit in my 08 IS-F and now it won't detect the NAV Reader. Unlike my GS the screen isn't going blank.
Old 05-29-13, 06:31 AM
vboi4life
Pole Position

take the navigation out and make sure all the connection go right place.i didnt do navigation hack but i did vais ml+ .check the blue connector go to head unit or the map won't show
Old 05-29-13, 01:17 PM
UCF3
Rookie

Originally Posted by vboi4life
take the navigation out and make sure all the connection go right place.i didnt do navigation hack but i did vais ml+ .check the blue connector go to head unit or the map won't show
Alright, I'll make sure it is. You wouldn't have any old images for the back of the ML? Just want to make sure I am connecting the right cables to the right component.

Thanks
Old 07-23-14, 09:05 AM
Emoney0826
Driver School Candidate

Did anyone ever figure out how to correct this? Mine went out on my '06 IS350 a few weeks ago. 90% of the time, my screen is black and says that it cannot connect when you press any of the nav buttons, but the other 10% of the time, my screen will constantly flip between showing the vertical lines to showing the disc that reads loading do not turn off power. There were even a couple times where the initial agreement screen pops up. I'll press agree, and the map will pop up, but the arrow(my location) will not be on the road. For example, it showed me driving through a golf course along the road I was on the other day. This lasts a couple minutes and then goes black again. Any ideas?
Old 07-23-14, 03:09 PM
terp05
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ended up replacing the navigation unit on my own. Found someone selling the part on eBay for $300 and it worked like a charm. I'll see if I can dig up the auction. Required the usual dismantling of the vents and center console to get the whole head unit out.
Old 07-24-14, 06:41 AM
Phantom_89
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just decided if i'm going to be spending money I might as well get the iVic from VAISTech with increased functionality compared to the stock unit. Its been out of stock since forever though.
Old 07-24-14, 11:41 AM
UCF3
Rookie

oh wow, it also connects Android devices.
Old 07-28-14, 08:39 PM
rramire7
Driver School Candidate

Default No fix yet

After I had the issues that you are having, my touch screen functionality went out. Luckily I was able to repair it for about $20 using a circuit writer pen from radio shack and some time. I still have the error message and I have been traveling a lot and when my car sits at home out in the heat, it seems like it gets worse if it isn't used daily. Seems like boot up time for the unit is prolonged. The screen will be blank. Also it recently defaulted to a home screen like a Prius showing the consumption on one screen, the battery and electric motor system on another, and the climate controls appeared different than normal.
Has anyone tried shipping off to one of those repair places off of ebay for about $450??
Attached Thumbnails Navigation - "External System Not Connected"-image.jpg  
Old 07-29-14, 06:48 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^Same exact screen I used to get. Watch my video and see if you have similar results :

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...n-related.html
Old 11-11-14, 06:53 PM
rramire7
Driver School Candidate

Default Found a Fix

I recently sent my nav unit down to a guy in Georgia. He has an ad on ebay to fix them. I would advise calling him first and he can get you fixed up. He's very knowledgeable. The main disclaimer I would say is to be patient as it took about a month from the time I sent mine down until the time I received it; however, it works flawlessly. The turn around time is typically quicker from what he said, but he had to order in an ECU for the unit and then he tested it at a local Lexus dealership. He said the reason it took extra time was that it has to be tested in a car, and he had to wait for a car to be in that he could use to test it out.

Another tip I would add is for shipping. I went to Walmart and bought a box that was 10"x10"x10" for less than $1. I wrapped the nav unit in bubble wrap and then put packing peanuts around it. I did not leave the CD changer attached as he advised against it. I took it to the post office and it was shipped from MO to GA for about $15, which was a whole lot cheaper than UPS and also faster. It came with a tracking number and arrived in 2 days.

I included the link below to where to pay for his service through ebay. Again, I would recommend giving him a call first to make sure he is around and knows about your issue before it gets there. Good luck to all!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-LS-GS-ES-IS-RX-LX-GX-SC-250-300-330-350-430-460-470-NAVIGATION-REPAIR-/181583473290?pt=GPS_Devices&hash=item2a4737ea8a&vxp=mtr
Old 11-12-14, 01:10 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^Another happy customer! I spoke with the same gentlemen about his services and was about to send mine to him; but instead I managed to find a good, used '08 NAV unit for $400. So I went that route instead.

But the guy definitely does stand-up work because you're not the first to mention that he was successfully able to fix your unit.

Great to have it back huh!
Old 11-17-14, 06:37 PM
etch2
Driver School Candidate

have same problem with nav dvd water somehow caused right card to build up a crust . am thinking dvd unit is fried. this not connected thing is areal pain why dosent it say replace dvd driver?
Old 03-24-15, 07:46 AM
rossv
Driver School Candidate

Default Navi ECU failure

Hi all,

In case anyone is wondering this is usually caused by the Navigation ECU failing. Happened to me.

Especially if you see it being affected by heat or road bumps, it is the Navigation ECU.

There is a large BGA device on the board that will experience solder failure due to the the use of lead-free solder and this board being manufactured in the 'early days' of RoHS (2005-2006). This failure is the same one that lead to the well known RROD in XBox consoles etc.
Old 01-13-21, 04:42 PM
Messyone
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AZ06IS350
The only way to know with 100% certainty that it is the navi ECU is to swap it out with a functioning one and see if the problem goes away. I am basing my conclusion on the fact that it is not a wiring issue nor a fuse issue as I have eliminated those as possibilities, and that only my navigation is not working (the touch screen works fine and my climate control, audio, info, and display buttons also work just fine). I have not had any other symptoms, like a bad battery, as you said you had, IS-K. Aside from the navi ecu, the only other thing that would make sense is a bad disc which I currently am unable to retrieve from the unit. My friend at the dealership said that if it was the disc that went bad, I should still get a generic map appear on the screen and that I wouldn't be getting the message saying the "External system is not connected". I really wish I could get that disc out some easy way, but have had no luck up to this point. I would like to get more info about this "finger tap method" you mentioned.
is your reverse camera working?