Just checking in as another 06 IS250 owner with the vertical bars/System Rebooting/External System Not Connected issues. I did the 'Navigation Hack' way back in the day and it's on my list to pull apart the nav unit and check all of the connections. From reading your experiences thus far however, I'm hoping for loose wires... I'm hoping to take it apart this weekend and will check back.
By any chance has anyone been able to solve this issue? Just got the problem trying to troubleshoot the VAIS XM unit in my 08 IS-F and now it won't detect the NAV Reader. Unlike my GS the screen isn't going blank.
Did anyone ever figure out how to correct this? Mine went out on my '06 IS350 a few weeks ago. 90% of the time, my screen is black and says that it cannot connect when you press any of the nav buttons, but the other 10% of the time, my screen will constantly flip between showing the vertical lines to showing the disc that reads loading do not turn off power. There were even a couple times where the initial agreement screen pops up. I'll press agree, and the map will pop up, but the arrow(my location) will not be on the road. For example, it showed me driving through a golf course along the road I was on the other day. This lasts a couple minutes and then goes black again. Any ideas?
I ended up replacing the navigation unit on my own. Found someone selling the part on eBay for $300 and it worked like a charm. I'll see if I can dig up the auction. Required the usual dismantling of the vents and center console to get the whole head unit out.
After I had the issues that you are having, my touch screen functionality went out. Luckily I was able to repair it for about $20 using a circuit writer pen from radio shack and some time. I still have the error message and I have been traveling a lot and when my car sits at home out in the heat, it seems like it gets worse if it isn't used daily. Seems like boot up time for the unit is prolonged. The screen will be blank. Also it recently defaulted to a home screen like a Prius showing the consumption on one screen, the battery and electric motor system on another, and the climate controls appeared different than normal.
Has anyone tried shipping off to one of those repair places off of ebay for about $450??
I recently sent my nav unit down to a guy in Georgia. He has an ad on ebay to fix them. I would advise calling him first and he can get you fixed up. He's very knowledgeable. The main disclaimer I would say is to be patient as it took about a month from the time I sent mine down until the time I received it; however, it works flawlessly. The turn around time is typically quicker from what he said, but he had to order in an ECU for the unit and then he tested it at a local Lexus dealership. He said the reason it took extra time was that it has to be tested in a car, and he had to wait for a car to be in that he could use to test it out.
Another tip I would add is for shipping. I went to Walmart and bought a box that was 10"x10"x10" for less than $1. I wrapped the nav unit in bubble wrap and then put packing peanuts around it. I did not leave the CD changer attached as he advised against it. I took it to the post office and it was shipped from MO to GA for about $15, which was a whole lot cheaper than UPS and also faster. It came with a tracking number and arrived in 2 days.
I included the link below to where to pay for his service through ebay. Again, I would recommend giving him a call first to make sure he is around and knows about your issue before it gets there. Good luck to all!
^Another happy customer! I spoke with the same gentlemen about his services and was about to send mine to him; but instead I managed to find a good, used '08 NAV unit for $400. So I went that route instead.
But the guy definitely does stand-up work because you're not the first to mention that he was successfully able to fix your unit.
In case anyone is wondering this is usually caused by the Navigation ECU failing. Happened to me.
Especially if you see it being affected by heat or road bumps, it is the Navigation ECU.
There is a large BGA device on the board that will experience solder failure due to the the use of lead-free solder and this board being manufactured in the 'early days' of RoHS (2005-2006). This failure is the same one that lead to the well known RROD in XBox consoles etc.