IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Battery brands?

Old 11-20-12, 07:34 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery brands?

I dont see any specs on the battery in the manual. I need to replace mine but dont know what to get. Id like to get an above average battery just to be on the safe side. Im looking at Die Hard Gold group size 24. Is that good enough?
Old 11-20-12, 07:46 AM
WeisISF
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just go to autozone and tell them your car year and model, they will find the right one for you.
Old 11-20-12, 07:50 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by WeisIS250
just go to autozone and tell them your car year and model, they will find the right one for you.
But I got a Sears right down the road from me. Saw this die hard gold on the site for $107
Old 11-20-12, 08:03 AM
Machog
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget Wally World and Costco. Both have great batteries with good warranties for about $80.00.

Machog
Old 11-20-12, 09:33 AM
jsmacks
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

90% of all batteries sold in the US are made by the exact same company and are THE EXACT SAME BATTERY but sold under different branding. Johnson Controls, Inc. Do some googling and you'll see!

Sears DieHard, Autozone, WalMart, almost all OEM batteries, etc.. they're all the same battery.

The cheapest source to date seems to be WalMart. Go get the right size, 72 month battery for your vehicle and you'll be set. Don't pay a dime more just because there's a different sticker on it!
Old 11-20-12, 09:48 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,280 Posts

Costco has a limited selection, and doesn't carry the proper Group 24 size. They try to make a Group 25 or 35 fit, I forget which.

I replaced the batteries in my wife's ES and my F last week. I looked at the ratings in Consumer Reports and decided on Bosch Premium Power, a Group 24F for her and a Group 24 for me (the polarity is different) Pep Boys carries Bosch, and I was able to negotiate them down to $93.00 ea. with return of the old core. I keep a couple to spent batteries in my garage so I don't have to go through the hassle of removing, then buying a battery and returning home to install it. I get dirty just once Anyway, the Bosch's both fit fine and are working great with the both engines spinning quickly on startup. The warranty is 36 months exchange and 96 month prorated.

From my research It appears that the Bosch batteries are made by Exide.

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 11-20-12 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-20-12, 12:10 PM
jsmacks
Lead Lap

Lol.. look again. Bosch is made by Johnson Controls. Pretty much the only battery that isn't is an Exide or "Duracell" car batteries which is just a borrowed logo to put over an East Penn battery.. which is junk.

I'm telling you. Just go to WalMart and get the 72 month correct series. They're all the same.

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Costco has a limited selection, and doesn't carry the proper Group 24 size. They try to make a Group 25 or 35 fit, I forget which.

I replaced the batteries in my wife's ES and my F last week. I looked at the ratings in Consumer Reports and decided on Bosch Premium Power, a Group 24F for her and a Group 24 for me (the polarity is different) Pep Boys carries Bosch, and I was able to negotiate them down to $93.00 ea. with return of the old core. I keep a couple to spent batteries in my garage so I don't have to go through the hassle of removing, then buying a battery and returning home to install it. I get dirty just once Anyway, the Bosch's both fit fine and are working great with the both engines spinning quickly on startup. The warranty is 36 months exchange and 96 month prorated.

From my research It appears that the Bosch batteries are made by Exide.

Lou

Last edited by jsmacks; 11-20-12 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-20-12, 12:43 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Another reason to go to Walmart-

They take back dead batteries and give you new ones for free, without ever checking when you bought the original one. So basically you buy one battery for the life of the car.

Or, uh, so I've heard.
Old 11-20-12, 01:34 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jsmacks
Lol.. look again. Bosch is made by Johnson Controls.
Nope:

http://ir.exide.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=311536

Lou
Old 11-20-12, 02:38 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

are those walmart batteries fitting in the case? I measured the die hard at the store and it didnt look like it was going to fit in the case that the OEM battery does
Old 11-20-12, 02:59 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^As long as it's a Group 24, it will fit.

Lou
Old 11-20-12, 03:11 PM
ChumpusRex
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The IS uses a Japanese size battery, which is a different size to most Domestic and Euro sizes. My experience has been that the battery cross-reference lists do not list the correct replacement battery for the IS.

Mine came with a D26L size battery (the OEM battery was a Panasonic 80D26-L). So, I was able to match a battery to the exact specs. That said, before I bought, I went to all the local battery and parts shops, with the battery part number - most refused to sell the battery, as it "will not fit a lexus", the others didn't have one in stock, and instead recommended a battery that was too large, and by my measurements would have no chance of fitting.

I ended up getting a battery online, and fitted it myself. Even though the web site put big flashing warnings up on my order that it was not compatible with my car; the battery was a perfect fit.

There is another caution that you should be aware of; the stock battery is a standard Japanese Maintenance free calcium-silver battery. This type of battery is electrically slightly different from a regular car battery or an AGM battery. The lexus charging system, like most Japanese cars, is tuned for this precise type of battery chemistry, and replacing the battery with a generic battery will give reduced charging performance and shortened battery life.

The battery I selected, a "Varta Asia Dynamic" not only exactly fits the special Japanese size, but is also built with the same calcium-silver formula as the OEM battery.
Old 11-20-12, 03:22 PM
jsmacks
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
You're right! I had found anecdotal evidence.. but the press release trumps it.
Old 11-20-12, 03:57 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Keep it simple .... go to Autozone, walk a few steps to the front door, go over to the battery display, look on the top row, and get a Gold Top 24-DLG, it's $110 with exchange. Done. Fits perfectly in the battery case even with the convenient carrying handle attached, and there are thousands of Autozones all over the country in case it fails. We travel a lot and that is important to us. Sure, you can to to Walmart and maybe save a few bucks, but then you have to schlep in there and deal with the dolts, it's not worth the few bucks you'll save over the life of the battery. Don't complicate your life.

Last edited by Evitzee; 11-20-12 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-20-12, 04:06 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ChumpusRex
The IS uses a Japanese size battery, which is a different size to most Domestic and Euro sizes. My experience has been that the battery cross-reference lists do not list the correct replacement battery for the IS.

Mine came with a D26L size battery (the OEM battery was a Panasonic 80D26-L). So, I was able to match a battery to the exact specs. That said, before I bought, I went to all the local battery and parts shops, with the battery part number - most refused to sell the battery, as it "will not fit a lexus", the others didn't have one in stock, and instead recommended a battery that was too large, and by my measurements would have no chance of fitting.

I ended up getting a battery online, and fitted it myself. Even though the web site put big flashing warnings up on my order that it was not compatible with my car; the battery was a perfect fit.

There is another caution that you should be aware of; the stock battery is a standard Japanese Maintenance free calcium-silver battery. This type of battery is electrically slightly different from a regular car battery or an AGM battery. The lexus charging system, like most Japanese cars, is tuned for this precise type of battery chemistry, and replacing the battery with a generic battery will give reduced charging performance and shortened battery life.

The battery I selected, a "Varta Asia Dynamic" not only exactly fits the special Japanese size, but is also built with the same calcium-silver formula as the OEM battery.
Again, the D26L battery is 10.24" long, 6.93" wide and 8.74" deep, the Group 24 is 10.25" long, 6.82" wide and 8.75" deep. almost exactly the same size as the OEM battery (it's .1" narrower, and as I have said, fits just fine) I did the research before deciding on the Group 24 size.

As far as not charging properly, it's a wet cell 12 volt storage battery, it will work just fine with our charging systems.

Lou

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery brands?