Drilling backup camera

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-12, 11:36 AM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Drilling backup camera

Hey All,

Trying to drill a hole for the backup camera into the center of the trunk inbetween the two license plate lights. However after disassembling the trunk lining, saw that theres another piece of metal that blocks the outer and inner trunk shells. Can't figure out how to remove it so that i can cleanly run the camera wires. Does anyone have any input in drilling a hole for the backup camera, tips, or suggestions? Thanks in advance!

This thread contains pictures of where i want the backup camera to be mounted (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...up-camera.html). I don't have the OEM trunk w/. the backup camera holes
Old 11-17-12, 04:10 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Have you consider this instead that mounts on the license plate light? some say it looks big though
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...cturer-38.html
Old 11-17-12, 05:59 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Drilling a hole in an non nav trunk is more trouble than its worth. Me and Vroomin350 did it when we swapped trunks and it was a pain in the ***. This would probably hurt your resale value since you wont be able to cut the hole to OEM specs. I would advise against it.
Old 11-17-12, 06:21 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Hm thanks for the suggestions.

Def will hurt resale value but im not too worried about that. The camera i'm trying to install is one of those where you need to drill a hole so it mounts nice and flush (Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/150672622959...84.m1439.l2649)

I guess my biggest worry is running the wires through the outer to the inner trunk shells after drilling the hole. Will need to take a closer look tomorrow in the light to make sure its possible.
Old 11-17-12, 07:28 PM
fitguy913
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull off the inner trunk liner on the deck lid. You can unbolt the inner taillamps. Then that piece that the license plate is on is not part of the sheet metal. It can be unbolted from the inside and removed. Then carefully center punch your drill point and drill. No sheet metal to go through. Depending on the depth of you camera, you'll need to take a ball peen hammer and lightly hammer the underlying sheet metal to accommodate the camera. Nobody but you will know that you have done this, it'll be COMPLETELY covered up. If you need pix of what the install looks like, PM me your phone # and I'll MMS you some.

Originally Posted by pmanliu
Hey All,

Trying to drill a hole for the backup camera into the center of the trunk inbetween the two license plate lights. However after disassembling the trunk lining, saw that theres another piece of metal that blocks the outer and inner trunk shells. Can't figure out how to remove it so that i can cleanly run the camera wires. Does anyone have any input in drilling a hole for the backup camera, tips, or suggestions? Thanks in advance!

This thread contains pictures of where i want the backup camera to be mounted (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...up-camera.html). I don't have the OEM trunk w/. the backup camera holes
Old 11-18-12, 07:49 AM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How about if you post the pics here

so we can all see them.

Originally Posted by fitguy913
Pull off the inner trunk liner on the deck lid. You can unbolt the inner taillamps. Then that piece that the license plate is on is not part of the sheet metal. It can be unbolted from the inside and removed. Then carefully center punch your drill point and drill. No sheet metal to go through. Depending on the depth of you camera, you'll need to take a ball peen hammer and lightly hammer the underlying sheet metal to accommodate the camera. Nobody but you will know that you have done this, it'll be COMPLETELY covered up. If you need pix of what the install looks like, PM me your phone # and I'll MMS you some.
Old 11-18-12, 02:27 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by fitguy913
Thanks fitguy for your instructions. i was able to follow them and remove the outer trunk shell in about a hour or so and then drill/install the backup camera with any problems. Your help is much appreciated. The second time around, it will probably take 15-25 minutes tops to remove the outer trunk shell.

For all those that are curious on the progress, i took some pictures and will throw together a DIY in the coming week. Theres also a DIY on installing a seibon trunk into the isX50 that is very helpful with the process.

Thanks again CL!
Old 11-18-12, 02:40 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

For now hopefully this picture helps others. It shows how the outer trunk shell is held in place. After you remove the taillights, key lock, open/close button, you are ready to remove the outer trunk shell.

First you'll have to remove the two nuts circled in green. It is situated near the inner nuts that holds the tailight to the trunk. After that is done, you simply have to pry the outer trunk shell off. Apply pressure to where the clips are, circled in red. I used a long screw driver wrapped in a cloth for leverage. Basically stick the screwdriver between the inner and outer trunk pieces, and pry outwards.

Drilling backup camera-daxtk.jpg

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any questions.

Last edited by pmanliu; 11-18-12 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-18-12, 04:09 PM
fitguy913
Rookie

For now hopefully this picture helps others. It shows how the outer trunk shell is held in place. After you remove the taillights, key lock, open/close button, you are ready to remove the outer trunk shell.

First you'll have to remove the two nuts circled in green. It is situated near the inner nuts that holds the tailight to the trunk. After that is done, you simply have to pry the outer trunk shell off. Apply pressure to where the clips are, circled in red. I used a long screw driver wrapped in a cloth for leverage. Basically stick the screwdriver between the inner and outer trunk pieces, and pry outwards.

You're welcome. I would've posted pix but they're on my phone and I was feeling lazy! I forgot about the clips that you have to pull out. It's a pretty straight forward install though. Looks like you're on the right track!
Old 12-20-20, 01:59 AM
Aficionad0
Driver School Candidate

i am 8 years too late on this but can you please do a picture tutorial or post a video. I need to accomplish the same thing but i dont know what all to bolt and i cant see whats behind license plate sheet metal
Old 12-20-20, 07:15 PM
valeoray
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

You can take a look at my post: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...se-camera.html
The following users liked this post:
nosurprise (12-21-20)
Old 09-30-23, 12:48 AM
ulop420
2nd gear

Default Is the wiring already there?

Im thinking about doing this conversion and it seems that the only thing I should be worried about is drilling the hole? I’m js wondering if I’ll be able to connect the oem camera to the harness even tho I have the non back up camera trunk or do I need to do wiring myself?
Old 10-01-23, 09:41 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ulop420
Im thinking about doing this conversion and it seems that the only thing I should be worried about is drilling the hole? I’m js wondering if I’ll be able to connect the oem camera to the harness even tho I have the non back up camera trunk or do I need to do wiring myself?
Someone had said that there is an empty harness that goes from the trunk to the armrest for the backup camera already installed for the non-nav.