Oxygen Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-12, 11:00 AM
p0lo8
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oxygen Sensor

Hello guys,

So recently check engine and vsc lights came on. I disconnected the battery and lights were gone for a week or so and then came on again but then disappeared on their own after couple days. Yesterday after I filled up gas lights came on again! Gas cap was tight, so I decided to have dealer look at it.
Reputable local shop diagnosed that one of O2 sensors is bad and quoted me 219 for it and another 185 for labor. I checked sewell and could not find any oxygen sensors for 2006 but only for 2009. Would it still fit? Here is the link http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2009/5417.html

I showed the shop the part on sewell website and asked if this is the right one and they said that they dont know, and they didnt even tell me a part number when i asked! what a BS.

Tomorrow I have an appointment at Lexus dealership. Will see what they say. If it is the sensor they might match sewell price so I dont need to wait for it while it ships.

So my question is would that sensor which is for 2009 fit my 2006 IS350 and what is a reasonable price for labor to replace it?

Thanks!
Old 10-25-12, 11:07 AM
PandaBear
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I remember right, at least in California the emission system is warrantied for 8 years 150k miles. Is it the same in IL?

If you want to change it yourself check on rockauto and look for their price on Denso, it is likely the same part as the OEM.
Old 10-25-12, 11:14 AM
p0lo8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PandaBear
If I remember right, at least in California the emission system is warrantied for 8 years 150k miles. Is it the same in IL?

If you want to change it yourself check on rockauto and look for their price on Denso, it is likely the same part as the OEM.
It is warranted by federal not state laws, so its the same in all states. 8years/80k, correct me if I'm wrong but I am over 80k anyway.
Old 10-25-12, 08:40 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oxygen sensors aren't warrantied for 80,000 miles. Any chance you been filling up at BP? I noticed every time I fill up at BP, my CEL and Check VSC comes on. Dealer says my cats are failing and it's running lean. I've been using Shell for the last two months and no CEL has come on.

You can use this O2 sensor. It's an easy swap too. I work at Lexus/Acura and a tech there told me two swap sensors around to see if it could be faulty sensors. Took me two hours.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DENSO-234-45...768e28&vxp=mtr
Old 10-26-12, 10:58 AM
p0lo8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chi123
Oxygen sensors aren't warrantied for 80,000 miles. Any chance you been filling up at BP? I noticed every time I fill up at BP, my CEL and Check VSC comes on. Dealer says my cats are failing and it's running lean. I've been using Shell for the last two months and no CEL has come on.

You can use this O2 sensor. It's an easy swap too. I work at Lexus/Acura and a tech there told me two swap sensors around to see if it could be faulty sensors. Took me two hours.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DENSO-234-45...768e28&vxp=mtr
Are there 2 different sensors before and 2 after the cat, or its not true?
I am filling up at Shell though. Appointment at Lexus is in few hours so will see what they say.
Old 10-26-12, 01:49 PM
p0lo8
Pole Position

Would the sensor Chi123 provided fit for Bank 2 Sensor 1 ? maybe anybody has a picture where the sensor is located?
The sensor at Sewell fits Bank 1 and 2 but just the sensor 2, not 1.
Old 10-26-12, 05:23 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

P0430 is the same code I have on my car. The techs at McGrath Lexus have recommended me a few things. First they said to check if there is any exhaust leak before the last oxygen sensor as some outside air might get pulled into the exhaust. So I replaced my gaskets and cleared the code. Drove around and P0430 came on again. So then they said to replace the O2 sensor. I decided to just swap the 2 sensors around since I know one works. If P0430 shows up again after I swapped them around and cleared the light, then it's a bad cat and if P0431 shows up, then the O2 sensor is bad. Sadly, P0430 showed up again.

The code you and I got means that our bank 1 cat needs to be replaced. But since school started, I've been using Shell near by school and my CEL has never come on since and now I suspect it's bad fuel from the BP by my house. Either way, Lexus will check mine out and replace it under warranty if that's the case.

The sensor I posted is what you need if you think it's a bad sensor instead of a bad cat. It's bank 1 sensor 2 which is on the midpipe under the driver's seat.
Old 10-26-12, 05:54 PM
p0lo8
Pole Position

P0430 is the same code I have on my car. The techs at McGrath Lexus have recommended me a few things. First they said to check if there is any exhaust leak before the last oxygen sensor as some outside air might get pulled into the exhaust. So I replaced my gaskets and cleared the code. Drove around and P0430 came on again. So then they said to replace the O2 sensor. I decided to just swap the 2 sensors around since I know one works. If P0430 shows up again after I swapped them around and cleared the light, then it's a bad cat and if P0431 shows up, then the O2 sensor is bad. Sadly, P0430 showed up again.

The code you and I got means that our bank 1 cat needs to be replaced. But since school started, I've been using Shell near by school and my CEL has never come on since and now I suspect it's bad fuel from the BP by my house. Either way, Lexus will check mine out and replace it under warranty if that's the case.

The sensor I posted is what you need if you think it's a bad sensor instead of a bad cat. It's bank 1 sensor 2 which is on the midpipe under the driver's seat.
But Lexus says that Bank 2 Sensor 1 needs to be replaced, so the link you provided is good only for sensor 2, but not for sensor 1. correct?
Old 10-26-12, 05:58 PM
p0lo8
Pole Position

Both Lexus and local shop told me that my cat is good and that sensor needs to be replaced so odds are that it is a faulty sensor.
Old 10-26-12, 10:10 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

The link I provided is only good for sensor 2, the downstream sensor. If Lexus and a local shop says that P0430 means that the O2 sensor is bad then go ahead. I'm just doubting it since P0430 is usually a bad cat and a bad O2 sensor would have a different code for that.

Are you sure it's the O2 sensor? Usually they go fix that first since it's cheaper than like $800 for an exhaust manifold plus several hours of labor. How did shop know it's the O2 sensor?
Old 10-29-12, 07:01 AM
p0lo8
Pole Position

The link I provided is only good for sensor 2, the downstream sensor. If Lexus and a local shop says that P0430 means that the O2 sensor is bad then go ahead. I'm just doubting it since P0430 is usually a bad cat and a bad O2 sensor would have a different code for that.

Are you sure it's the O2 sensor? Usually they go fix that first since it's cheaper than like $800 for an exhaust manifold plus several hours of labor. How did shop know it's the O2 sensor?
Im not sure. But if 2 shops says its the sensor, odds are that its the sensor, but you never know. Im not ready to drop $400+ for repairs now, so I reseted the code again.
Old 10-29-12, 09:59 AM
p0lo8
Pole Position

Ok, so I ordered Air/Fuel Ratio-A/F Sensor (B1,S1 & B2,S1) 8946730010 from Sewell, and if Lexus is right this should fix the issue. Will see what happens.
Old 11-03-12, 11:52 AM
p0lo8
Pole Position

UPDATE:
I got the part and went to my mechanic. We were not able to get old AF sensor out, so I went to Lexus then. They managed to get it out but it was seized so bad in there that it ruined manifold threads. Don't know how but the tech managed to break the sensor I brought. So Lexus covered the cost of the parts and they installed new manifold with a sensor. I had to pay labor though.
Yesterday night I go there to pick up the car, I start it up and I hear a sound like there would be a hole in exhaust pipe or something. Left my car there, kept the loaner and next morning called the manager to let him know. Today he got back to me saying that he is going to take care of it free of cost, but it might need new pipe or something he's not sure. I have to wait till Monday now.
I got 2012 ES as a loaner, despite the fact that I feel like a grandpa now it is so smooth! A lot more body roll than on my IS350 though.
Old 11-15-12, 08:37 AM
p0lo8
Pole Position

UPDATE:
Ok so everything is taken care of and car runs smooth. They ended up replacing A/F sensor, putting in new manifold and front exhaust pipe assembly
Total cost out of the pocket - $500 to lexus and $190 for the sensor from sewell which they ruined.
Old 11-15-12, 12:36 PM
Mingus
Driver School Candidate

So the dealership broke a bunch of crap, and charged you labor to fix it?

Unbelievable.

Personally, if the issue corrected itself after disconnecting the battery, and then the light came back on after filling the tank up with gasoline, the first thing I would have replaced would have been the gas cap.

They gas cap can appear tight and leak free, but still cause the dash light to come on.

Quick Reply: Oxygen Sensor