IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
Old 12-15-14, 12:53 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Vaistech iVic 6D Android/iPod - 6th gen navi install hints!

Old 10-07-14, 07:43 AM
r81984
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oztiks
What year/model are you? Have you tried contacting vaistech for assistance? (I don't mind trying to help, but its been forever since I did my install!)

The fact that you aren't even seeing the USB tab makes me think your harness isn't properly connected, though. Is the tab for USB GONE or just greyed out so you can't select it?
I figured it out. Vaistech did help.
Normally companies dont respond so quickly.

1. I had the multimedia ECU connected when I should not have.
2. I needed to press and hold the RAND button to load the IVIC.

It is all working now: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ct-...6d-ct200h.html
Old 10-07-14, 03:40 PM
jaynz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been on the wait list for a few months now - anyone else having trouble sourcing a new unit?
Old 10-15-14, 05:10 PM
LO 21
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

sorry for bumping an old thread, but where in the IS F did you mount the vais unit?
Old 10-15-14, 05:15 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LO 21
sorry for bumping an old thread, but where in the IS F did you mount the vais unit?
I have mine mounted behind my glove box. It just barely fits, but it fits!
Old 10-17-14, 11:29 AM
LO 21
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I have mine mounted behind my glove box. It just barely fits, but it fits!
Thanks for the prompt reply!

I'm trying to understand what you mean by behind the glove box. So not inside the actual glove box, but you can reach your arm underneath the glove box to a section behind it where the Vais unit fits?

If I'm understanding that correctly, does the Vais unit get enough ventilation to stay cool and circulate the warm air that it gives off? And could you access the unit if you ever needed to unplug it or perform any software updates?

Thanks again! I plan on doing the install this weekend but wasn't sure a good place to mount it.
Old 10-17-14, 01:50 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LO 21
Thanks for the prompt reply!

I'm trying to understand what you mean by behind the glove box. So not inside the actual glove box, but you can reach your arm underneath the glove box to a section behind it where the Vais unit fits?

If I'm understanding that correctly, does the Vais unit get enough ventilation to stay cool and circulate the warm air that it gives off? And could you access the unit if you ever needed to unplug it or perform any software updates?

Thanks again! I plan on doing the install this weekend but wasn't sure a good place to mount it.
Physically behind the glove box - so you need to remove the glove box to mount it in that location. You should not really need to access it (physically). The ventilation seems adequate in my scenario but I cannot guarantee the same for you. Removing the glovebox takes about 5 minutes, so I think it's reasonably easy to do. There really arent many other 'good' locations to mount the unit in, honestly.

You do updates over USB (which I believe they include a cable for), this is the same cable that you would plug an iPod into, etc.

I hope yours functions better than mine does, or that you dont intend on using the iPod functionality. The unit is pretty buggy on my install. It basically cripples your factory ipod functionality (even though it was supposed to emulate/support it)

Good luck!
Old 10-20-14, 08:49 AM
mandipcarz
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Physically behind the glove box - so you need to remove the glove box to mount it in that location. You should not really need to access it (physically). The ventilation seems adequate in my scenario but I cannot guarantee the same for you. Removing the glovebox takes about 5 minutes, so I think it's reasonably easy to do. There really arent many other 'good' locations to mount the unit in, honestly.

You do updates over USB (which I believe they include a cable for), this is the same cable that you would plug an iPod into, etc.

I hope yours functions better than mine does, or that you dont intend on using the iPod functionality. The unit is pretty buggy on my install. It basically cripples your factory ipod functionality (even though it was supposed to emulate/support it)

Good luck!
there no need to remove the glove box, when i installed mine i crammed mine between the fusebox and ventilation fan has exact space for the unit. you can do this from under the dash (remove the puddle light panel under the glove box area)
Old 10-21-14, 10:58 AM
Jump2man3
Lexus Test Driver

I wanted to get the IVIC but they wont guarantee it works with my 13 is350 =(
Old 12-08-14, 08:11 PM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Oztiks, you still around bud? Have questions to ask you.

I recently purchased this avic-6d and had all sorts of problems. Fast forward 2 days to today and I finally got it to work. Apparently not many people have this unit for 2010+model years so I'll give you some feedback and others interested in it. I have a 2011 IS 250 non ML. I'm assuming since you have ML you had to connect to the harness beneath the dash and glove box. I too have that box with the USB and 2 plugs but did not have to tamper with it at all. Both my connectiosn were behind the headunit only. I only plugged into the unoccupied blue plug and unplugged the 12 pin harness and used the supplied vaistech bypass. What I DID NOT know was that I had to run the included mini audio cable to the aux input in my center console to be able to select the input and for the audio.

Okay my questions for you now, did/do you have a problem with the cars integrated bluetooth? After all the trouble i was having to get audio and the side menu to appear i eventually figured out i had to turn off or disconnect the Bluetooth connected to my car, rendering the Bluetooth audio and phone capabilites useless aside from using the Avic unit. Haven't tested trying to use my phone yet to make calls while hooked up to the avic unit. Tech support at vaistech says it's a software programming issue from my phone that's causing that and maybe if I rooted it i could reprogram it. Say what? I have a samsung note 3 and Both of mine and my mom's note 2 are doing it.

I'm also having a problem when i play video and try to go back to the android main screen it just goes black. I can't get it to respond back on. So i have to unplug the unit and plug it back in to do so. This one I'm not happy about. If i can get around that without having to unplug my phone then I'll be happy.

Lastly what app are you using that works best? I've tried the vaistech app and a couple others. So far vaistech is best keeping the phone locked in landscape mode. What I do not like is once my screen turns off, it goes black on my screen but if I touch it, it comes back on. Then it stays on and causes my phone to run hot. What app will let me stay plugged in, without keeping the screen on my phone running?

Umm... I think that's all I have for now. Thanks for your time and hope to hear from you soon.
Old 12-08-14, 08:58 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 10lexISR6
Oztiks, you still around bud? Have questions to ask you.

I recently purchased this avic-6d and had all sorts of problems. Fast forward 2 days to today and I finally got it to work. Apparently not many people have this unit for 2010+model years so I'll give you some feedback and others interested in it. I have a 2011 IS 250 non ML. I'm assuming since you have ML you had to connect to the harness beneath the dash and glove box. I too have that box with the USB and 2 plugs but did not have to tamper with it at all. Both my connectiosn were behind the headunit only. I only plugged into the unoccupied blue plug and unplugged the 12 pin harness and used the supplied vaistech bypass. What I DID NOT know was that I had to run the included mini audio cable to the aux input in my center console to be able to select the input and for the audio.
I think your configuration is somewhat different due to non ML. I did not have the mini audio connector you mentioned?

Okay my questions for you now, did/do you have a problem with the cars integrated bluetooth? After all the trouble i was having to get audio and the side menu to appear i eventually figured out i had to turn off or disconnect the Bluetooth connected to my car, rendering the Bluetooth audio and phone capabilites useless aside from using the Avic unit. Haven't tested trying to use my phone yet to make calls while hooked up to the avic unit. Tech support at vaistech says it's a software programming issue from my phone that's causing that and maybe if I rooted it i could reprogram it. Say what? I have a samsung note 3 and Both of mine and my mom's note 2 are doing it.
I'm not sure what you mean? You should maintain two connections from your phone to bluetooth:

One should be to the IVIC itself (it should register as a HID input device or something to that effect0
The other should be to "CAR MULTIMEDIA" (at least that's what it was called in the 2010); it should support bluetooth audio and bluetooth phone.

I never tried my note 3 on the iVic, so I know you are having to use the frustrating samsung MHL adapter. At any rate, you should have the following situation:

When connected to MHL (I will call this HDMI from this point on), your phone SHOULD mirror all video AND audio over HDMI. Are you saying that the video is going out HDMI properly but you hear no audio when your phone is also connected to bluetooth in the car? If that's the case, I would try going into your phone and disabling the "media audio" checkbox in your CAR MULTIMEDIA pairing. You should leave "Call audio" checked. This should force your audio and video to both go out via HDMI.

I'm also having a problem when i play video and try to go back to the android main screen it just goes black. I can't get it to respond back on. So i have to unplug the unit and plug it back in to do so. This one I'm not happy about. If i can get around that without having to unplug my phone then I'll be happy.
Have not had that issue either. When you go back to the android main screen, does the phone go black as well, or just your headunit? If it's just your headunit, it sounds like the iVic is losing HDMI sync with your phone. Not sure why, though.

Lastly what app are you using that works best? I've tried the vaistech app and a couple others. So far vaistech is best keeping the phone locked in landscape mode. What I do not like is once my screen turns off, it goes black on my screen but if I touch it, it comes back on. Then it stays on and causes my phone to run hot. What app will let me stay plugged in, without keeping the screen on my phone running?
Unfortunately due to the way most (all?) android devices are designed, you can't have the phone's screen "off" and also still enable HDMI / display mirroring. The same goes with locking your phone, as soon as you lock it, the screen will shut off and the Ivic will lose signal. This is an android design limitation.

In the end, I actually ended up mostly using a separate/spare/old phone for connection to the iVic and then tethering it over WiFI to my actual cell phone.

Umm... I think that's all I have for now. Thanks for your time and hope to hear from you soon.
Old 12-08-14, 10:56 PM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I think your configuration is somewhat different due to non ML. I did not have the mini audio connector you mentioned?

I'm not sure what you mean? You should maintain two connections from your phone to bluetooth:

One should be to the IVIC itself (it should register as a HID input device or something to that effect0
The other should be to "CAR MULTIMEDIA" (at least that's what it was called in the 2010); it should support bluetooth audio and bluetooth phone.

I never tried my note 3 on the iVic, so I know you are having to use the frustrating samsung MHL adapter. At any rate, you should have the following situation:

When connected to MHL (I will call this HDMI from this point on), your phone SHOULD mirror all video AND audio over HDMI. Are you saying that the video is going out HDMI properly but you hear no audio when your phone is also connected to bluetooth in the car? If that's the case, I would try going into your phone and disabling the "media audio" checkbox in your CAR MULTIMEDIA pairing. You should leave "Call audio" checked. This should force your audio and video to both go out via HDMI.

Have not had that issue either. When you go back to the android main screen, does the phone go black as well, or just your headunit? If it's just your headunit, it sounds like the iVic is losing HDMI sync with your phone. Not sure why, though.

Unfortunately due to the way most (all?) android devices are designed, you can't have the phone's screen "off" and also still enable HDMI / display mirroring. The same goes with locking your phone, as soon as you lock it, the screen will shut off and the Ivic will lose signal. This is an android design limitation.

In the end, I actually ended up mostly using a separate/spare/old phone for connection to the iVic and then tethering it over WiFI to my actual cell phone.
Hey! Thanks for replying. So before I got a chance to read your reply I figured out that I could disable just the audio of the "CAR MULTIMEDIA" Bluetooth and still use the phone through the factory system. But with the audio on it blocked the music signal through the avic. There is a guy with an LS600 who posted a video on YouTube showing with the avic app once you plug it in it would shut off the display, but when I tried it, it did not not. Need to call vaistech. It sounds like in the future I should source a phone that has an HDMI input?

The screen blackout issue stopped......for now. It seems I have less problems when my car is running vs. Just on accessory mode.

Have you had any luck with scrolling on the screen up and down? I seen another CL member demo his on YouTube on an 06 ISxxx with an avic-5d and he could scroll vertical and horizontal but I cannot... Make no sense. I almost rather go old school for those features but why doesn't my NEWER model do those basics? Kind of sucks. ....

Anyhow thanks again for replying. It appears you sold that F with the avic unit. What you go to now?