IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Removing rear window tint = Defroster & GPS malfunction?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-12, 12:08 AM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a shop thats very lazy or has no clue what they are doing. My friend has owned his tint shop for over 15 years and nobodies rear windows have ever gotten messed up taking off tint.
Old 10-11-12, 12:14 AM
CLIS250
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have actually had this issue with a tint shop in the past. They had removed my rear windshields tint and took some of the orange color of the defroster lines off! Good thing the owner was cool about it and had it replaced for me at no charge with another OEM Lexus rear windshield.

Also had a buddy had his rear windshield tint removed at the same time on a Nissan Altima. But his had no issues at all of defroster lines getting messed up and what not.

But my Lexus on the other hand was a different story.
Old 10-11-12, 05:21 AM
DryEye
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

B***S***, I say find another tint shop to remove the tint. This shop is giving a lazy excuse. You have to think, if this was a professional tint shop, they would have noticed that your car already had tint and should have asked you about that first before applying the new tint. Just my 2 cents.

I've had tint(s) removed from my back window before and there were no damages to my defogger/antenna, just have to find a good shop with good customer service.
Old 10-11-12, 05:56 AM
Hondadna4
Rookie

Just no respect to anyone anymore when it comes to business. They want you in out in two seconds steamer is just as good I would go with that shop that guy gave.
Old 10-13-12, 03:09 PM
ImportISF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks alot guys, & thank you Hondadna4. Haven't had time to update this thread but I can't believe two tint shops told me the same thing & I brought them a bit of business to one of the shops before.

So I called the tint shop that told me they couldn't do it & asked them about the heat gun & windex method & they said "Yeah we can give that a try but there will still be no warranty or guarantee that your defroster & GPS lines won't come off." Basically he still doesn't want to give a warranty for the tint, but he was strongly recommending that I bring in my car this time & see "what we can do". I'm not sure if they do in fact know how to get if off without a problem & is just saying "Yeah we can give it a try" to cover up his statement earlier of not being able to do it or not. Guess I'm going to shop around & call every tint place here in San Francisco & find one that can do it with messing it up.

I already spoke to one shop & they told me that they will use a steamer to take off my tint because they said a heat gun might melt my defroster lines off? Does that sound right to some of you guys?

Originally Posted by drewster12
Not sure where you are located at, but Steve's Tinting in Upland, CA does an awesome job. I've seen him remove tint from the rear windshield all the time. He uses a steamer and then slowly peels the tint off. He also has great ceremic tint for the car. Check him out at www.stevestinting.com.

BTW, I'm in no way affliated with him or his business. I've used him on 3 of my cars and have recommended him to numerous friends because he is that good.
Thanks, I def take it there if I was in the area

Last edited by ImportISF; 10-13-12 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-14-12, 08:07 AM
Silver10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hondadna4
First step they need to get the windshield hot with a heat gun.

Then they need to grab some windex and spray the **** out of the windshield.

Then they need to grab black trash bags and tape off the whole windshield will keeping the window wet with Windex.

The need to park the car out in the sun for a couple of hours and keep on spraying the back of the windshield with Windex to make the Ammonia work its magic.

The shop needs to sweat out the glue with the ammonia. Over time the tint will just fall right out of the back windshield like if it was never stuck.

They do not want to put in the work for a quality job and they want to rush you as quick as they can.
This man speaks the truth...... I have a buddy that does tint and he said the same exact thing with the trash bag,ammonia and heat!
Old 10-14-12, 02:10 PM
edwinjaeho
Driver School Candidate

i would go somewhere that is more professional and gives you a better peace of mind not having to worry about current or future issues