Help! [steering wheel clockspring problem]

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-20, 04:38 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Help! [steering wheel clockspring problem]

I

I was switching out my paddle shifters for my is350 to isf ones. And i guess i pulled the steering out too much because this happened. it feel like a film with some grease. i dont know how to put it back and theres no videos about this.

Last edited by davidbusta; 06-08-20 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-05-20, 04:50 PM
Protholl
Advanced

Received 165 Likes on 136 Posts

It looks like you got enthused and pulled out more than you needed to. Did you follow a video to remove it like this one?

I'm betting that the ribbon cables and black plastic still attached to the wheel weren't supposed to stay attached when you pulled it. Can you remove that assembly from the back of the steering wheel? The ribbon cables look as if they are spiraling like a slinky so they might just go back if you use them as a guide.

Good luck!

Last edited by Protholl; 06-05-20 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-05-20, 04:54 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Protholl
It looks like you got enthused and pulled out more than you needed to. Did you follow a video to remove it like this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XYuVgLUbDE

I'm betting that the ribbon cables and black plastic still attached to the wheel weren't supposed to stay attached when you pulled it.

Good luck!
I was using that very video to guide me to remove it. The one thing that I couldnt figure out was how to completely remove the airbag from the wheel. So i pulled the steering wheel with the airbag still attached not thinking it was a big deal. but i guess the cable still connected to the airbag was also connected to a cover that covers the ribbon. So when i pulled the wheel the cover came off, exposing the ribbon and i have no idea how to put it back into place
Old 06-05-20, 05:50 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

So I was able to install everything back. But the ribbon makes a noise when ever I turn the wheel. Is this safe to drive like that? From what I understand this powers the control buttons, airbag, and horn, does this affect steering? Would it stall my steering wheel? I am afraid of that the most especially since I got work in 1 hour. I am assuming I have to replace the clock spring I think its called
Old 06-06-20, 12:12 AM
Thannp
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 30 Posts

You can drive the car without clockspring (taken them out completely) but you will loose paddle shifter/multifunction steering wheel/volumn control/ radio control and I believe the ecu wont get steering angle input so you will also loose traction control/VSC

In the case that you kept the clockspring installed and they decide to jam up. You will have enough force to break the cable inside while you turn the steering wheel. So no big deal nothing to worry about
Old 06-06-20, 01:20 AM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Thannp
You can drive the car without clockspring (taken them out completely) but you will loose paddle shifter/multifunction steering wheel/volumn control/ radio control and I believe the ecu wont get steering angle input so you will also loose traction control/VSC

In the case that you kept the clockspring installed and they decide to jam up. You will have enough force to break the cable inside while you turn the steering wheel. So no big deal nothing to worry about
yeah I drove to work with it jammed inside. The stereo was acting up changing modes and stations. Kinda annoying lol I couldn’t even just turn off the radio because it’ll turn back on. At least the volume wasn’t going up so I muted it and left it at that. I tried the paddles and they didn’t give me any issues at all. traction control was off like you mention. At first i didn’t know what it was. I was really afraid that I would lose steering input since I had to go to work with it like that but after learning what really was affected I was comfortable driving my car. Just being extra cautious than normal to avoid getting into an accident because of the airbag being messed up.
Old 06-08-20, 08:27 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

I've read where some say you cannot "fix" a clock spring and others say they fixed it without issue.

I'd lean on the side of caution and would tell you to source a good, used replacement. I've search Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist for 2IS "parts cars" to locate that replacement clock spring.
Old 06-08-20, 10:03 AM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Any 2IS fits right? Doesn’t matter the year or if its a 250 or 350?
Old 06-08-20, 04:40 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,482 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Find the part number and do a where used.
I'm pretty sure that under the air bag is the bolts for the spring as its supposed to stay on the column. That said, I have never done this car, but air bag wiring can not be routed with other energy sources on a ribbon cable like that. If you really think that is true, pull the fuse to the airbag as you don't need to screw up that computer or inadvertently deploy the bag.

Replace with good used as they typically don't fail. But figure out how to properly disassemble first. So why the grease? You take any other pictures?
Old 06-08-20, 05:18 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Find the part number and do a where used.
I'm pretty sure that under the air bag is the bolts for the spring as its supposed to stay on the column. That said, I have never done this car, but air bag wiring can not be routed with other energy sources on a ribbon cable like that. If you really think that is true, pull the fuse to the airbag as you don't need to screw up that computer or inadvertently deploy the bag.

Replace with good used as they typically don't fail. But figure out how to properly disassemble first. So why the grease? You take any other pictures?
I have driven around for the past couple of days with ribbon connected as if it was working. You would never know it was messed up if the airbag light wasnt on and if the ribbon didnt make noise when you turn the wheel as heard in the video. The buttons on the steering wheel still works more of the time and if it doesnt work on the first push i push like 2 or 3 more times and it works. paddle shifters has no problems at all and it still upshifts and downshifts at the same slow speed as before. horn works fine too. i ordered one already. Youtube videos shows that its pretty simple to replace but maybe ill ask my mechanic if hell do it only if he doesnt charge alot, which i dont think he will, it appears to be a 30 minute fix at most.

One thing that I am worried about is that I did spin the thing thats on the steering column when i was reinstalling the messed up piece. I was reading online to not spin that. but i had to spin it in order to jam the ribbon into place. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...acement-2.html Jeff says why to not spin it in his post on post #29. So what will happen now that I spun it? Right now im sure the ribbon is ripped but what about when the new one is installed? I cant align the new to be in the same direction as the old one because the old one is most likely out of place from the way it should be. Thats the one thing that has me worried about installing the new one that it will rip which is why i want my mechanic to install it for me. maybe his expertise could help him install it properly.

About the grease, after thinking about it i would say it felt more like vaseline. In a picture that I took you could see the substance.
Old 06-09-20, 11:52 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,482 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Rule of thumb is this: If the chassis has say 3 turns lock to lock the clock needs centered when installed.

So if you grab the clock (a used one) and it spins say 5 turns from minor pressure one way to minor pressure the other way, you place it in the middle at 2.5 turns or to the closest alignment points it bolts down and you should be good.

The flip side about buying new is it will be locked in place, centered, until you cut a tab setting it free to rotate.
Old 06-09-20, 12:11 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Rule of thumb is this: If the chassis has say 3 turns lock to lock the clock needs centered when installed.

So if you grab the clock (a used one) and it spins say 5 turns from minor pressure one way to minor pressure the other way, you place it in the middle at 2.5 turns or to the closest alignment points it bolts down and you should be good.

The flip side about buying new is it will be locked in place, centered, until you cut a tab setting it free to rotate.
Thanks, that should make it easy for me to do it on my own since I ended up buying it new. It wasn't too much of a price jump from a used one and a new one so I decided to get a new one. And with your explanation just now it makes me feel more comfortable to do the install myself and not have to pay my mechanic to do it. I get the part in the mail today so maybe I'll install it today or tomorrow not sure when I'll be available.
Old 06-10-20, 03:25 AM
davidbusta
Intermediate

So I did the install and the old clock spring ribbon got absolutely destroyed its pretty funny how bad it got and I didn’t have much issues except for the airbag light and the occasional times the steering wheel controls didnt work on first press but worked if I pressed 1 or 2 more times.

However, after the install I reconnected the battery and I turned on my car and the airbag light is still on. Everything else works perfect like normal, I pressed all the steering wheel controls many many times it worked like normal. But with the airbag light still on I am a little confused why. Videos I seen the light goes away a few seconds after the car is turned on. I turned my car off and on and still stays on. I rechecked the connectors to the airbag and they are all connected. Could it be possible that I caused more damage internally with the old ribbon damaged like that? Or perhaps the light will simply turn off after the car been off for awhile. Maybe when I go to turn on my car in the morning it'll be off? Or is this a code that I can clear with an OBDII scanner and the fusion app? I'm already in bed I'll try to see if I could clear it in the morning if its still there. Or theres always the possibility that the clock spring was defected. Its OEM and new so I dont think so but who knows.

Last edited by davidbusta; 06-10-20 at 03:29 AM.
Old 06-10-20, 12:24 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Now i am confused the light is still there and I put my OBDII scanner and I got no codes.
Old 06-10-20, 09:43 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

For some reason the add on package that I had purchased a few weeks ago uninstalled. I reinstalled it. And now I got a code C1290. I looked up this code and no one has gotten this code when their airbag light is on. Which is really weird. Everyone I seen get this code has the VSC light on.

Quick Reply: Help! [steering wheel clockspring problem]