IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Old 06-09-14, 08:29 AM
Antredd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost a Year Later

My engine on my 09 250 was repaired in August 2013. Within these last three months, and sometimes after coming to a quick stop, my car shakes almost shutting off again. Has anyone had any similar symptoms after their piston rings were changed?
Old 06-09-14, 04:24 PM
dmk720
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Antredd
My engine on my 09 250 was repaired in August 2013. Within these last three months, and sometimes after coming to a quick stop, my car shakes almost shutting off again. Has anyone had any similar symptoms after their piston rings were changed?
Yes.Did it at 117000 .4000 miles after "fix" my car started using oil plus half second shakes,more frequent but very short. Changed oil to Mobil ext. performance and it help for only 1500 miles. Now waiting for cats to go bad.
Old 06-11-14, 10:33 PM
TheRusski
Rookie

Does anyone have a link to the TSB for the carbon buildup so I can print it out and bring it to dealer tomorrow morning? Thanks in advance!
Old 06-12-14, 01:31 AM
Meguerra
Driver

Scroll down to #748 there's two documents you can print out.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post8081737
Old 06-12-14, 07:23 AM
TheRusski
Rookie

Originally Posted by Meguerra
Scroll down to #748 there's two documents you can print out.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post8081737
Thank you very much!
Old 06-19-14, 11:02 PM
Antredd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dmk720
Yes.Did it at 117000 .4000 miles after "fix" my car started using oil plus half second shakes,more frequent but very short. Changed oil to Mobil ext. performance and it help for only 1500 miles. Now waiting for cats to go bad.
So there is no real solution to this problem. i am going to be getting my vehicle serviced soon, and i wonder what my service advisor will tell me after bring this problem to his attention again.
Old 06-20-14, 07:10 AM
tomiv9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Antredd
So there is no real solution to this problem. i am going to be getting my vehicle serviced soon, and i wonder what my service advisor will tell me after bring this problem to his attention again.
No there is no real solution. U can put a catch can on to prevent build up, or just wait till buildup occurs and do a cleaning
Old 06-21-14, 11:03 PM
WNYX
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, I got the symptom yesterday, I think.

I bought my car used with 32,137 miles on it. I kept getting e-mails telling me my 35,000 mile scheduled maintenance is due. So, I made an appointment for Saturday morning. When I go there, the guy tells me that they already did all of the checks at 32,000 miles, so I should just come back 2,000 miles later. 7 hours later, I press my brakes at a red light when all of a sudden my car shakes and it feels like my car is about to die. I drove the rest of the night just fine, but it really got my attention.

Is it safe to keep driving? One thing I noticed, and I can't tell if it's related, is (at the next red light) all of the lights in my car (my dash, my navi display) dimmed at the same time. I can't tell if it's related to what happened at the previous red light or because it was getting dark and my auto-headlights turned on (do the lights dim when the headlights come on?). Can someone please advise? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-22-14, 12:48 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by WNYX
Well, I got the symptom yesterday, I think.

I bought my car used with 32,137 miles on it. I kept getting e-mails telling me my 35,000 mile scheduled maintenance is due. So, I made an appointment for Saturday morning. When I go there, the guy tells me that they already did all of the checks at 32,000 miles, so I should just come back 2,000 miles later. 7 hours later, I press my brakes at a red light when all of a sudden my car shakes and it feels like my car is about to die. I drove the rest of the night just fine, but it really got my attention.

Is it safe to keep driving? One thing I noticed, and I can't tell if it's related, is (at the next red light) all of the lights in my car (my dash, my navi display) dimmed at the same time. I can't tell if it's related to what happened at the previous red light or because it was getting dark and my auto-headlights turned on (do the lights dim when the headlights come on?). Can someone please advise? Thanks in advance.
If your instrument cluster lights dimmed, it's likely related to your electrical system. I wouldn't rule out this TSB as the culprit, but I would check things like the alternator, bad grounds, battery terminals, etc. first.
Old 06-22-14, 01:13 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

Got my car back three days ago after the piston rebuild and it's idling rough more frequently now than it did before. However, the roughness isn't as severe as it was before when it happened. I'm going to give it some more miles before I conclude. But the fact that it's shuddering when coming to a stop before any new carbon has had a chance to build up has me thinking something else happened during the rebuild (?). What do you all think? Also never heard of people getting the rough idle the same day getting their car back after the rebuild. Some people not related to this site or Lexus are telling me to give the engine a chance to "break in." Never heard of a rough idle from breaking in an engine, nor did my tech say I had to now break it in. *sigh*
Old 06-23-14, 08:10 AM
Blue250
Driver School Candidate

Default Intermittent Start

Bought my 2007 is250 a couple of months ago and the previous owner had the CSP recall done.

Now I am having intermittent start problems. Sometimes it takes up to 4 cranks before it finally starts?

Anyone have an idea if this is related? Car has 53000 miles on it.
Old 06-23-14, 08:57 AM
Mrhavasu
Driver School Candidate

My 2010 bought new has done this since day 1. Took it to the dealer finally and they changed the plugs and cleaned the intake, they said it was the one of the worst ones they had seen and was not part of the recall. Problem is still there, shaking and bad idle, and Lexus refuses to do anything about it. I will never buy LEXUS again.
Old 07-04-14, 01:18 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does this affect all years (2006-2013) similarly? Or was there any design changes in later year models that eased the problem a bit? What about the 3IS250?
Old 07-04-14, 02:05 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

my '06 is at 93k and every so often, i also get the "shakes" when coming to a stop. it doesn't happen often. Doesn't seem to be hurting anything that i am aware of. The car runs just fine.

I wonder if it gas that helps the issue. Seems to be on certain tanks, the shakes happen more often than others.
Old 07-09-14, 08:13 AM
sissyjam
Driver School Candidate

Have any Canadian residents with US vehicles had any success getting this serviced locally? I've had my dealership more or less diagnose my '08 with this issue, but they will not service the vehicle under the CSP provided by the US.

I had an uneventful chat with Lexus USA regarding this, and they do not want to acknowledge the diagnosis by the technicians here, stating that I need to go to a US dealership for inspection to verify the problem exists. Given the intermittent nature of this problem, I think it's absolutely ridiculous. I'm starting to regret having purchased this vehicle.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP