IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-13, 03:33 PM
ajfinoak
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious at what mileage folks are needing to have this done? I have 38K miles on my 2008 IS and had the top end cleaning done at 15K miles. Had a single brief instance of dropped idle last week and shaking but otherwise been OK aside from some vibration at idle most of the time when in gear and stopped which has been happening for years. My 4 cylinder 2013 Elantra GT idles more smoothly!
Old 07-23-13, 05:56 PM
Ca1vN
Driver

anyone know after they get this CSP done, after 5500 miles youre supposed to go back and have them take a look according to my SA. now do i get another oil change for free or am i supposed to pay for this one? and what does the check up consist of?
Old 07-25-13, 08:24 AM
EXL124
Driver School Candidate

Just had my first taste of the rough idle. At a stop light and rpms dropped quick...fluttered for a few sec. That was about a week ago. Never happened since.

For those of you that take extra precautions to help reduce this, what did you do and did it help? Some suggest WOT to help burn the carbon and some say top engine clean...worth it for the later?
Old 07-26-13, 08:15 AM
zen
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ca1vN
anyone know after they get this CSP done, after 5500 miles youre supposed to go back and have them take a look according to my SA. now do i get another oil change for free or am i supposed to pay for this one? and what does the check up consist of?
The dealer didn't ask me to go back for check up after the pistons replaced. I don't think you will get a free oil change.
Old 07-26-13, 10:39 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Dropped my car off at Longo today, with another complaint about rough idle. My SA said they only do one top engine clean, so if they find a code this time, it's a piston rebuild. I told him I was weary about having such major work done, that perhaps it would look bad on a dealer's service report for someone looking to buy the car later on. He's said he's never heard of it being a negative, only a positive. I guess I worry too much. Then I asked if anyone had reported further problems with the new pistons. He said most say the car runs better (faster/smoother) after. So we'll see. I have a new ES loaner, so I am content for now. The only negative is I hit rain on my way over there, so I broke my two years of driving in no rain.
Old 07-27-13, 05:27 PM
ddv1226
Driver School Candidate

My car is going in for the wiper arm recall on monday. On the phone the SA told me that my 08 does not apply for this. Only the 06 and 07. thanks to the letter on the second page i can show him he's a moron. My car has been experiencing some rough idle here and there when i brake hard coming to a light. Looks like i might contact a different dealer to get it checked out.
Old 07-29-13, 05:51 AM
teefar
Driver

Are those of you who are out of warranty paying the fee Lexus charges to look at the car for this?
Old 07-30-13, 09:36 PM
Treyyy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just discovered this website so this is my first post. Anyways, I've had my 06 for 3 years now it just turned 101K miles and I've never received this letter. I did buy it private party but do I need this letter to go to the Lexus dealer to get it diagnosed? Because occasionally, not often, at idle my 250 will drop rpm and almost die then it will pop back up to normal and be fine.

I've thought about doing a seafoam treatment, doing the "smoke show" and seeing if then it would clean it up.

Anyways any help from this post will be GREATLY appreciated, because i love this car. I sold my IS300 for this 250, Diehard Lexus/Toyota fan here.
Old 07-30-13, 11:50 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by teefar
Are those of you who are out of warranty paying the fee Lexus charges to look at the car for this?
The carbon build up is covered for 9yrs/unlimited miles so nobody with a 2IS covered under the CSP should be out of warranty yet for it.

Originally Posted by Treyyy
I just discovered this website so this is my first post. Anyways, I've had my 06 for 3 years now it just turned 101K miles and I've never received this letter. I did buy it private party but do I need this letter to go to the Lexus dealer to get it diagnosed? Because occasionally, not often, at idle my 250 will drop rpm and almost die then it will pop back up to normal and be fine.

I've thought about doing a seafoam treatment, doing the "smoke show" and seeing if then it would clean it up.

Anyways any help from this post will be GREATLY appreciated, because i love this car. I sold my IS300 for this 250, Diehard Lexus/Toyota fan here.
They would be able to check if your car is covered by this CSP via the VIN. They really shouldn't need the letter. I'm sure if you call your local Lexus service dept. and ask a service rep to check it for you they would be able to!
Old 07-31-13, 03:55 PM
Treyyy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
The carbon build up is covered for 9yrs/unlimited miles so nobody with a 2IS covered under the CSP should be out of warranty yet for it.

They would be able to check if your car is covered by this CSP via the VIN. They really shouldn't need the letter. I'm sure if you call your local Lexus service dept. and ask a service rep to check it for you they would be able to!
good to hear man! I'll be giving them a call tmo morning or afternoon and seeing if im qualified. i really hope I am. I love this car.
Old 07-31-13, 04:13 PM
vicsis250
Pole Position

Finally I got the call to take my IS250 in to replace the Pistions and rings dropped it off today my SA said it should be ready sometime next week and it should be good as new. I can't wait
Old 07-31-13, 09:27 PM
BlaznLexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vicsis250
Finally I got the call to take my IS250 in to replace the Pistions and rings dropped it off today my SA said it should be ready sometime next week and it should be good as new. I can't wait
Longo Lexus?
Old 08-01-13, 07:43 AM
teefar
Driver

Dropping mine off Monday morning... we'll see how it goes.
Old 08-01-13, 06:49 PM
Ca1vN
Driver

Originally Posted by zen
The dealer didn't ask me to go back for check up after the pistons replaced. I don't think you will get a free oil change.
really? according to the TSIB it even said to tell user to come back after 3k miles i think and test something with the oil. hey, KillaIS250 anything you can shed light on?
Old 08-03-13, 04:22 PM
vicsis250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BlaznLexus
Longo Lexus?
No cerritos Lexus

Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP