IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-13, 03:17 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by meis250
Hi all, so I took the car in on Friday to have it checked. My history is:

- Oct 2012 - top engine clean at dealership, after having the rpm dipping under 500 at a stop light (car shaking, almost stall like symptoms) after going on hwy
- March and then May 2013, very similar incidents where stopped at traffic light, rpm would go down for a second or so, then go up to about 1000rpm then back to normal
-June (last Friday) - they checked the car, no error codes in current, pending, or history queues

Car is an 07IS250 AWD, never had any lights coming on.
So my conclusion is that there is a little glitch in the onboard computer/ fuel injection that is causing that temporary drop in rpm in the transitional state from running to full stop. It is very intermittent so diagnosing something like that would be very hard.

Am I onto something here?
You have the carbon build up, but it's not severe enough to trigger warning lights. Mine's been doing the same thing for years, but without lights and codes. The top engine clean has been the method to deal with this until it throws a code. When it finally does, dealerships seem to go to Plan B at that point.
Old 06-10-13, 05:31 PM
meis250
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks, thanks. What makes it suck even more is that I am in Canada where there is no official confirmation of this issue whatsoever, and my car is not under warranty anymore.
Old 06-12-13, 09:36 AM
JC08IS250
Driver School Candidate

Is there a way to prevent this from happening or decreasing the chances of it happening? After some research it looks like my recently purchased 2008 is in the affected VIN range which sucks and is very disappointing. Makes me question my purchase of this vehicle or at least year.

I've read tips like changing oil every 5k or punching the gas every so often but not sure how much it helps or if it even helps at all?
Old 06-12-13, 09:54 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JC08IS250
Is there a way to prevent this from happening or decreasing the chances of it happening? After some research it looks like my recently purchased 2008 is in the affected VIN range which sucks and is very disappointing. Makes me question my purchase of this vehicle or at least year.

I've read tips like changing oil every 5k or punching the gas every so often but not sure how much it helps or if it even helps at all?
I bought an 08 and found out about the issue after the fact. In the 9 months that I've owned the car, I've only noticed the RPMs dip a little one time. I usually open it up on the highway with nobody around so that it gets close to redline maybe once a month, if that.
Old 06-12-13, 10:18 AM
is250gurl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

nothing you can do as it's direct injection and that's the way it goes. craziest part is they have not done anything to prevent this in the 2014 new models either. same old engine!
Old 06-12-13, 10:32 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by is250gurl
nothing you can do as it's direct injection and that's the way it goes. craziest part is they have not done anything to prevent this in the 2014 new models either. same old engine!
That was plain stupid on their part. The more educated the buyers the more they'll lose on new sells. Plus a lot of us with second generation would not considering to upgrade to basically live with the same fear.
Old 06-12-13, 10:35 AM
JC08IS250
Driver School Candidate

Wow are you serious? Even on the 2014 models? Why wouldn't Lexus address this at least in the new models!? This is my first lexus/toyota and I'm not familiar with them as a company.
Old 06-12-13, 10:42 AM
JC08IS250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by keyframe13
That was plain stupid on their part. The more educated the buyers the more they'll lose on new sells. Plus a lot of us with second generation would not considering to upgrade to basically live with the same fear.
Yeah this is exactly correct, I know I won't consider it and I'm a week into being a new lexus first time owner. I thought I did all my research on buying a used is250, somehow missed this one!
Old 06-12-13, 10:56 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Don't they use different pistons or something? That's part of the recall, and I thought that was why the newer models (2011+) don't have a recall/TSB for this issue.

If you're talking about the direct injection technology, there must be a good reason for keeping it, since a lot of other automakers use the same tech in their engines.
Old 06-12-13, 11:20 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

one of the ways to help prevent the problems is to install a catch can system.
Old 06-13-13, 09:55 AM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Finally getting my car back today after dropping it off 3 weeks ago. It developed a front axle leak, and they were able to take care of that as well. I'm excited to drive a "new car," but I have gotten quite used to the power of the IS350 loaner they gave me.
Old 06-13-13, 04:31 PM
starknight
Lead Lap

Should I go ontario crown lexus which is the closest or drive 45 mins to longo lexus look for jimmy? anyone have good experience at crown lexus?
Old 06-13-13, 05:05 PM
ILL250
Driver

hey nitrotang, which dealership did you go to? i thought they usually take a few days to fix it but 3 weeks?
Old 06-13-13, 05:34 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I just picked it up! Drives like a new car! Love it! It idles smooth with no vibration, and even shifts smoother. They had to take apart my transmission/axle since there was a leak when putting everything back together again.

I took it to Stevens Creek Lexus. My only gripe would be that there are a few light scuff marks on the driver door (probably one of the techs keys/belt rubbed against) and on the side of the hood and fender. Asked them not to wash it so I can wash it myself so I don't get swirls in my paint, but I'll take a closer look when I get home.
Old 06-14-13, 11:35 AM
NeuroResid
Driver School Candidate

Quick follow up. See page 44 of thread for initial post.

Dropped my car of Wednesday morning at the dealership. They had a brand new comp. car waiting for me with a full tank of gas - the Service Rep. told me the dealership is covering the gas.

Thursday evening I received a call stating the car was ready for pick up. I picked the car up this morning.

Here's a short list of what the receipt includes:

Qt. Part (reciept notes warranty included on all the parts below)
(1) Gasket
(2) Super Long Life C
(1) Replaceable ELEME
(1) Ring Set, Piston
(2) FIPG Oil Pan
(3) Non-Chloro Brake C
(6) Piston Sub-Assembly
(1) Engine Oil Change

Does anyone know what "warranty" comes with the parts? Forgot to ask the dealership.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP