IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-13, 03:01 PM
NQR89
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Skyfox16
I noticed my alignment was off after I got my car back and I called them the next day and dropped it off again with a loaner and they did the alignment for free. ( they had checked my alignment right when my car was dropped off and showed me the paper that said it was good before I had even left with the loaner- so I don't think there was any reason for them not to cover it)

Also I did Not have any letter for the carbon buildup and no check engine light was on but when they did the test they said they found misfire codes. They fixed my car that week too, no crazy waits for parts - I think she said they already had all the parts at the dealership so they didn't have to order anything.
Thanks for the reply. I asked them about it but they wanted to charge me $110 to do an alignment. I've been driving around for about a day now, and so far if seems straight but I'm concerned about the tire wearing fast if it is indeed unaligned.
Old 05-16-13, 10:50 AM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Just got my vehicle back ('08 IS250 AWD approximately 72K).

Diagnosed and parts ordered on February 8th, 2013. (Originally told 6-8 weeks for parts).
Pistons arrived May 9th, 2013. (3 months later).

Was in the shop for exactly a week. Plus had my water-pump replaced at the same time (OEM ~$290 P&L). Had a 2013 Lexus ES350 as a loaner which I swear is a mini-LS.

Commuted into work after picking up vehicle and shakes and rough idles have disappeared.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 05-19-13, 09:41 AM
simann
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SERIOUS QUESTION:
I am looking at purchasing a 2010 IS250 AWD out of lease/warrantee at a local high volume-high end dealership.

I am reading about these issues from the 2006-2009 IS's but have not really read anyone having problems with the 2010+ models. Did Lexus/Toyota change or upgrade the engines to prevent this carbon buildup or are they just waiting to do a future recall?

Thing is, the specific car I am looking at is not CPO and does not have a warrante; however, its only 41,000 miles old and in mint condition.

What would you all suggest? Stay away? From what i've read the experiance looks like the Audi RS4 guys and their direct injection V8 problems. Those guys were replacing valve stems/guides every 12,000 miles. !!!

Last edited by simann; 05-19-13 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-19-13, 10:21 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by simann
SERIOUS QUESTION:
I am looking at purchasing a 2010 IS250 AWD out of lease/warrantee at a local high volume-high end dealership.

I am reading about these issues from the 2006-2009 IS's but have not really read anyone having problems with the 2010+ models. Did Lexus/Toyota change or upgrade the engines to prevent this carbon buildup or are they just waiting to do a future recall?

Thing is, the specific car I am looking at is not CPO and does not have a warrante; however, its only 41,000 miles old and in mint condition.

What would you all suggest? Stay away? From what i've read the experiance looks like the Audi RS4 guys and their direct injection V8 problems. Those guys were replacing valve stems/guides every 12,000 miles. !!!
The vehicle you are inquiring about still carries it's original powertrain warranty from the factory. If the selling dealer never bothered to tell you this, there's nothing "high end" about him.

I wouldn't let the carbon issue stop you. If you google or research any car, you'll find some issues. The IS is a very reliable car and the factory is backing up the carbon issue.
Old 05-19-13, 01:09 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

SERIOUS QUESTION:

I also have a 2010 IS250 and never heard anyone yet with carbon buildup but might be the fact that those sill have low miles. You are however covered 9 years and 70k miles for that if not more. I don;t know sure as I join the Lexus Club a month ago but don;t let that stop you. That is a low miles Lexus and if the price is right, get it.
Old 05-19-13, 01:33 PM
colbond
Driver School Candidate

Dropped my 06 IS 250 AWD off on Thursday and they called yesterday that they're ordering parts for the carbon buildup CSP. Is there anything else I should have them replace or check while the engine is completely disassembled?
Old 05-19-13, 02:19 PM
RG3toDC
Rookie

I went to the dealer for another recall and they told me that they would cover this issue for 9 years/unlimited miles but i still don't know how to know this might be the problem in the future
Old 05-19-13, 03:48 PM
slideland
Rookie

everytime I do a motor I do an alignment. its common sense. anyone not doing so is just plain lazy. and is poor in customer service. Its that simple
Old 05-19-13, 05:11 PM
wlk12
Driver School Candidate

SERIOUS QUESTION:

Early 2010's have the potential problem. Mine is one of them and I have been notified by Lexus of the CSP. Later models have the upgraded piston rings and other changes.

I don't know why anyone would buy a Lexus IS250 that is subject to this potential problem. There are just too many excellent cars out there, new or used. Just my opinion
Old 05-19-13, 07:30 PM
simann
Pole Position

Originally Posted by keyframe13
I also have a 2010 IS250 and never heard anyone yet with carbon buildup but might be the fact that those sill have low miles. You are however covered 9 years and 70k miles for that if not more. I don;t know sure as I join the Lexus Club a month ago but don;t let that stop you. That is a low miles Lexus and if the price is right, get it.
Well that is really good news! Thanks again for you all's replies.
Old 05-19-13, 07:31 PM
simann
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wlk12
Early 2010's have the potential problem. Mine is one of them and I have been notified by Lexus of the CSP. Later models have the upgraded piston rings and other changes.

I don't know why anyone would buy a Lexus IS250 that is subject to this potential problem. There are just too many excellent cars out there, new or used. Just my opinion
I figured that. I don't know a specific VIN cut off though, unless one of you would be willing to post up a letter from Lexus regarding the VIN range that is already been known.

As far as other [I]excellent/I] cars, I beg to differ. I've test driven too many cars this last week to know that the Lexus IS series is the best in its class. I've been a BMW guy for the last few years, I've owned two M3's (E36, E46 comp pkg), and test drove a few mercedes recently and was seriously let down. The Lexus has the better interior, better drive feel and much better interior quality than the mercedes or BMW. Granted, neither have the engine recalls like the IS does, but frankly if the factory will cover it, its not a big problem to me.

I drove my friends 2013 IS-F tonight too, that car is... incredible.
Old 05-19-13, 07:37 PM
Clay Easto
Pole Position

Originally Posted by colbond
Dropped my 06 IS 250 AWD off on Thursday and they called yesterday that they're ordering parts for the carbon buildup CSP. Is there anything else I should have them replace or check while the engine is completely disassembled?
Change the water pump - they should charge you just for the parts. Change your spark plugs if they haven't been changed yet, same deal, just parts, no labor.
Old 05-20-13, 12:13 AM
Token1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If they are in fact just keeping the same engine with no major redesign then that is a little disappointing.
That would show that they have extreme confidence in the TSB fix though.

If they figured out a better way to combat the carbon build up issue in the 3IS, I would hope they release the same fix for the 2IS owners as well!
I wouldn't be surprised if they did, but I think there is a lot of red tape that possibly makes the current fix more practical for them than one that can be implemented in a new model. But if I had to bet, I think they are probably the same engines/fix as the 2010+ models.

There are still shakes, rpm drops from a stop after the CSP and around 38,000 miles
This is why I'm checking in. Some members were mentioning this months earlier and I wanted to scope out if more where having this. My 2006 w/ fix drives great but if you come to a fast stop, the idle likes to dip down low enough to cause a rough idle then bounces back to normal idle quickly. If this is not common with the fix then I'm wondering if the dealership screwed something up. If it is common, then I need to figure out a little simple fix...
Old 05-20-13, 05:27 AM
wlk12
Driver School Candidate

I figured that. I don't know a specific VIN cut off though, unless one of you would be willing to post up a letter from Lexus regarding the VIN range that is already been known.
My letter didn't include the VIN range for the 2010's. But Lexus may be willing to provide the info if you're willing to go through a bit of a hassle.

Hope it works out for you.
Old 05-20-13, 09:13 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by colbond
Check the water pump for leaks, it might be a good time to replace it too anyways since its a fairly common failure for the 2IS. Like Clay posted earlier, they should charge you just parts. Same for the spark plugs... if you haven't already changed them might as well as long as they charge for just parts. I would also have the accessory belt done, relatively cheap part and again the labor should be free anyways.

Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP