IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-13, 10:19 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
I think you have to go to a Lexus dealership only, and yes you shouldn't have to pay for anything. Some members here have reported being charged for diagnostics and crap though anyways, though it should be covered. I would confirm with your dealership when leaving the car.
Thanks Killa
Old 01-24-13, 02:54 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Took my '08 IS250 in the other day for the 65K maintenance. I've been working with a particular service advisor ever since I became a Lexus owner back in 2005. I started having very intermittent 'rough idle' about a year ago, but stressed 'intermittent'. Maybe once every two months so I didn't think much of it and then I 'stumbled' upon this thread and associated ones a while back.

About a week before my scheduled service appointment, the 'violent' rough idle occurred at the stop light. All the times this has happened in the past, including this time, nothing on the dash indicated anything wrong. And reading through threads, I thought at the time since there was no MIL/CEL, I wouldn't bring it up until it came on.

But on an off-shoot chance, I decided to tell my service advisor about the issue and told him I've been reading threads off CL about the 'carbon build-up' issue, but no MIL/CEL came on. He then said, "Oh. We have a couple tricks up our sleeves to make it misfire and pop the code for diagnosing it." -- Sure enough a bit later, he comes in a small office I took over to do work while waiting for my car and says, "We got it to misfire and the code. We're placing the order to have the pistons shipped from Japan which will take about 6-8 weeks to arrive and I'll give you a call when they're in."

Guess it's wait and see now but happy they were able to take care of it before it gets worse.

Cheers,
Kermee

P.S. Just for fun, I asked how much it would cost to have the fix done? He replied, "We're going to bill Lexus about 6K for it." and smiled...
Old 01-24-13, 03:05 PM
BrandonIS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kermee
Took my '08 IS250 in the other day for the 65K maintenance. I've been working with a particular service advisor ever since I became a Lexus owner back in 2005. I started having very intermittent 'rough idle' about a year ago, but stressed 'intermittent'. Maybe once every two months so I didn't think much of it and then I 'stumbled' upon this thread and associated ones a while back.

About a week before my scheduled service appointment, the 'violent' rough idle occurred at the stop light. All the times this has happened in the past, including this time, nothing on the dash indicated anything wrong. And reading through threads, I thought at the time since there was no MIL/CEL, I wouldn't bring it up until it came on.

But on an off-shoot chance, I decided to tell my service advisor about the issue and told him I've been reading threads off CL about the 'carbon build-up' issue, but no MIL/CEL came on. He then said, "Oh. We have a couple tricks up our sleeves to make it misfire and pop the code for diagnosing it." -- Sure enough a bit later, he comes in a small office I took over to do work while waiting for my car and says, "We got it to misfire and the code. We're placing the order to have the pistons shipped from Japan which will take about 6-8 weeks to arrive and I'll give you a call when they're in."

Guess it's wait and see now but happy they were able to take care of it before it gets worse.

Cheers,
Kermee

P.S. Just for fun, I asked how much it would cost to have the fix done? He replied, "We're going to bill Lexus about 6K for it." and smiled...
6-8 weeks? If this junk happens, I'm going to trade mine in on a 350, bump that wait.
Old 01-24-13, 03:14 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cheers,
Kermee

Glad they took care of it for you. Only 6k though? If i remember correctly, the repair bill I saw for mine (to be billed to Lexus under the warranty) was something like $8-9k (including loaner car)
Old 01-24-13, 03:40 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrandonIS
6-8 weeks? If this junk happens, I'm going to trade mine in on a 350, bump that wait.
I can understand where you're coming from. I've also seen a lot of frustrated owners in the multiple threads too. From the research I've done here, it's definitely the 'luck-of-the-draw' with whom you get to deal with when you bring up the issue, if it occurs.

I can wait 6-8 weeks and even my SA was disappointed it's been taking Lexus that long to get the replacement parts for the fix; It sounds like they've done a bunch of them. I'm virtually 99% sure that issues resulting carbon build-up won't cascade to any other system, at least in my instance.

Other than this, my experience with Toyota/Lexus has been overly positive starting with my '89 Toyota Van. And at least for me, they're fixing it.

Glad they took care of it for you. Only 6k though? If i remember correctly, the repair bill I saw for mine (to be billed to Lexus under the warranty) was something like $8-9k (including loaner car)
Wow! $8K-9K... I'm sure most of it was labor?

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 01-24-13, 09:16 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Wow! $8K-9K... I'm sure most of it was labor?

Cheers,
Kermee
Yeah most likely. I'm gonna try and find the invoice to confirm. Far as i remember, that's about what it was, and i don't think any other work was done on the same visit either.
Old 01-25-13, 08:57 AM
xtina
Driver School Candidate

I think you have to go to a Lexus dealership only, and yes you shouldn't have to pay for anything. Some members here have reported being charged for diagnostics and crap though anyways, though it should be covered. I would confirm with your dealership when leaving the car.
I picked up my car last night. Didn't pay for anything.
As part of these type of programs (maybe specifically CSP), it is absolutely zero cost to you.
I made sure to reserve a courtesy car ahead of time so I wouldn't be stuck with another car rental agency's loaner.
Also, they refill your tank up when they are done, so be sure to arrive with your tank as close to empty as possible.
Old 01-25-13, 10:07 AM
Silec
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got my car back this morning. SA said that they couldn't find anything and that my car didn't give any code. He also said that it might be my spark plugs thats giving me rough idles since my car has 61k on it. Just ordered some spark plugs and manifold gaskets from Sewells and will replace them next week, hopefully it will make a difference. If not I guess I can test drive a new ES or RX for a day or two haha.
Old 01-25-13, 12:12 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Silec
I got my car back this morning. SA said that they couldn't find anything and that my car didn't give any code. He also said that it might be my spark plugs thats giving me rough idles since my car has 61k on it. Just ordered some spark plugs and manifold gaskets from Sewells and will replace them next week, hopefully it will make a difference. If not I guess I can test drive a new ES or RX for a day or two haha.
It's more likely going to be the Carbon Build up issue rather then the spark plugs, but if they can't replicate it, they can't replicate it. I would wait a little bit and see if another dealer will maybe look at it....and the only reason I say that is because if they can verify the issue, many dealers will replace your spark plugs while you are in there for no charge labor or very cheap labor. Up to you though, you may just wanna replace the plugs now anyways since you are past 60k and see if that does in fact fix your issue.
Old 01-25-13, 09:56 PM
E36Andy
Driver School Candidate

I got a question for everyone...

How is replacing the pistons going to permanently fix the problem??? From what I have heard its a fuel injector design problem thats causing the carbon to build up? Even if they do replace them aren't they eventually gonna get dirty again?
Old 01-25-13, 10:57 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by E36Andy

How is replacing the pistons going to permanently fix the problem??? From what I have heard its a fuel injector design problem thats causing the carbon to build up? Even if they do replace them aren't they eventually gonna get dirty again?
To my knowledge and from what my Lexus service adviser told me, he said that the new pistons have less of a gap preventing oil from leaking to the top of the valves and thus less chance of carbon build-up.

On another note, I'm still waiting for my parts to arrive before I bring my car in to get this issue resolved. But in the mean time, I'm in love with how my car drives again after the top engine clean. Idles as smooth as butter, no rough idling or vibrations at all. And I used to get 26-27 mpg driving 50/50 highway/city, but now I'm getting around 29 mpg.
Old 01-25-13, 11:48 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by E36Andy

Long story short, it basically doesn't FIX the issue, it prevents it from happening as often/sooner.
Old 01-26-13, 06:15 AM
Ca1vN
Driver

Originally Posted by xtina
I picked up my car last night. Didn't pay for anything.
As part of these type of programs (maybe specifically CSP), it is absolutely zero cost to you.
I made sure to reserve a courtesy car ahead of time so I wouldn't be stuck with another car rental agency's loaner.
Also, they refill your tank up when they are done, so be sure to arrive with your tank as close to empty as possible.
this is interesting. im having mine done on tuesday and whats to say that they have to fill it up? i feel like theyre just going to charge me. last time i had almost empty when i had a different problem they filled it up with 20 bucks and charged me for it....
Old 01-26-13, 10:25 AM
vicsis250
Pole Position

Since I last posted the wait time is longer more like a few months for the parts, my SA told me they had new ways of testing the car but we had to do it soon because it takes a very long time to get the parts back....in her word we have a very very long list to get this done.
Old 01-26-13, 10:35 AM
E36Andy
Driver School Candidate

Long story short, it basically doesn't FIX the issue, it prevents it from happening as often/sooner.
Ya i didn't think it did. Regardless if its seeping down less with the bigger pistons, it shouldn't be seeping at all.

Any idea why Lexus messed up designing this engine? I've never had a problem with any toyota or lexus me or my family has ever owned..

Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP