IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-12, 06:43 PM
ghwanee
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ You do not need a letter to get this work done as long as you have problem as far as I know. Well I didn't have a letter or real shaking in the car and mentioned the carbon build up just as one of my worries and they are doing the work as soon as the parts come in.

Originally Posted by mj250
Ive been reading through this thread for the past few days, I picked up my IS250 2 weeks ago. I have an 2006 with 57000 miles. Im encroaching on 72 months (I think that is the monthly limit, but I could be wrong) would I be covered? And I am also curious if the previous owner had it done.

This warranty covers 9 yrs/unlimited miles for the carbon build up problem. so you are covered.
Old 10-16-12, 08:25 PM
starknight
Lead Lap

still waiting for the letters for my 07 IS250.
I only had the vibrates issue 1-2 times over the last couple month.
Old 10-16-12, 09:22 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by starknight
^^^ kev, you and i are on the same boat...
Old 10-16-12, 09:52 PM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

got my letter last week
Old 10-17-12, 05:57 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mj250
Ive been reading through this thread for the past few days, I picked up my IS250 2 weeks ago. I have an 2006 with 57000 miles. Im encroaching on 72 months (I think that is the monthly limit, but I could be wrong) would I be covered? And I am also curious if the previous owner had it done.
I just got a letter that it's extended for 9 years unlimited miles for my car. I think the notice said 2006 through 2010 (but not all 2010). If you just bought it, you may not be on the Lexus mailing list. Maybe if you register your car on lexus.com Owner's site, there's a notice? Otherwise, dealer should be able to tell you from your VIN.
Old 10-17-12, 05:59 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by starknight
This is what I'm worried about. Called the dealer to make an appointment for them to check it. If they can't replicate the condition (which happens maybe once a week), and they don't see any misfire codes in the ECU, they say I'm out of luck. Somehow, they are distinguishing between "intermittent" (which is covered) vs. "infrequent" which is "normal." I asked if they could scope the engine to see if there's carbon buildup, but I'd have to pay the hourly rate for them to do it.

Keeping my fingers crossed that they can replicate it...
Old 10-17-12, 06:08 AM
mj250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tex2670
I just got a letter that it's extended for 9 years unlimited miles for my car. I think the notice said 2006 through 2010 (but not all 2010). If you just bought it, you may not be on the Lexus mailing list. Maybe if you register your car on lexus.com Owner's site, there's a notice? Otherwise, dealer should be able to tell you from your VIN.
Well that is great to know - I was starting to get nervous about running out of time. Ill register my car on the Lexus site and see if that works. I appreciate your input!
Old 10-17-12, 06:35 AM
rsg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my 07 IS250 cpo and still haven't received the letter. In addition, I used Chevron Techron fuel additive once and WOT a few times a week (both stopped since I heard of this extended coverage) and the problem hasn't noticeably come back.

Last edited by rsg; 10-17-12 at 06:39 AM.
Old 10-17-12, 06:50 AM
mj250
Driver School Candidate

Like I stated earlier, I bought my car used, from an auction. It was a recovered theft and was missing only the nav unit, no issues with the car what so ever! The car has a reconstructed title and its my 9th reconstruct (most have been floods or recovered thefts). With the reconstruct I know dealerships fix "recalls" is the top engine clean and recall or warranty work? Now after reading though pretty much every thread, this one got my attention as it applies to me. I registered my car on Lexus's site (like I was instructed to do by a fellow member on this thread) and got all the service records. I attached a screen shot of my computer and the records. Does this mean I already had a top engine clean done and I dont have to lose sleep over it?!
Attached Thumbnails IS250 Carbon Build up CSP-lexus-service-records.png  
Old 10-17-12, 09:33 AM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

It looks like you've had the top engine clean service performed on your car already. But the letter is for the actual replacement of pistons/valves/etc., which is pretty much a rebuild of your engine, instead of just cleaning off the carbon build-up.
Old 10-17-12, 11:30 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Is there a TSB # for this? Other then just referencing this letter can we give a TSIB / TSB #?
Old 10-18-12, 07:03 AM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
This is what I'm worried about. Called the dealer to make an appointment for them to check it. If they can't replicate the condition (which happens maybe once a week), and they don't see any misfire codes in the ECU, they say I'm out of luck. Somehow, they are distinguishing between "intermittent" (which is covered) vs. "infrequent" which is "normal." I asked if they could scope the engine to see if there's carbon buildup, but I'd have to pay the hourly rate for them to do it.

Keeping my fingers crossed that they can replicate it...
Your dealership is very strange. most dealers would be happy to get a $7,000 warranty job. I say this....because most businesses like to make money. Your dealership seems to be making it hard for you to give them a big money job. don't pay any diag time. just take it somewhere else. The truth is....if you have the condition.....even if it only happens like once a month.....they should be able to duplicate it. If there's enough carbon to cause a problem driving it in the real world, they can duplicate it. you just have to do the duplication procedure up to 15 times sometimes.

Originally Posted by CCJ22
Is there a TSB # for this? Other then just referencing this letter can we give a TSIB / TSB #?
L-SB-0068-11
Old 10-18-12, 07:12 AM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rizkyk
Could this carbon build up cause excessive oil consumption?? I ask cuz when I told lexus that i was losing oil, they kept replacing my pcv valve saying its clogged. 3 times over 2 years?? could it have been clogged due to the carbon build up and hence burning more oil??
it is related. worn cylinder wall, scratched cylinder walls, and just worn out rings will cause excessive blow-by. the blow-by leads to excessive carbon buildup as well as oil consumption. also, the carbon become hard and crystallized and scratch the cylinders. this is why about half of the oil consumption cars end up getting new short blocks.

Officially, the CSP only covers the misfire and rough idle issue. unofficially, Lexus knows the consumption is related and is not trying to screw those people over. It's just much more complicated when the complaint is oil consumption......and in the end...guess what......the proof they'll use to authorize it will be the same duplicated misfire recording.

So if you have legitimately bad oil consumption......make life easier on you and your dealership...just take the car there and complain about the oil consumption AND the car intermittently shakes at idle. if you're burning a good amount of oil, you will have some serious carbon buildup in there too. you're not doing anything wrong by saying that, just making the process of getting your consumption problem fixed a lot easier.

Last edited by diagtime; 10-18-12 at 07:15 AM.
Old 10-18-12, 07:33 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by diagtime

L-SB-0068-11
Thanks D
Old 10-18-12, 10:20 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by diagtime
it is related. worn cylinder wall, scratched cylinder walls, and just worn out rings will cause excessive blow-by. the blow-by leads to excessive carbon buildup as well as oil consumption. also, the carbon become hard and crystallized and scratch the cylinders. this is why about half of the oil consumption cars end up getting new short blocks.

Officially, the CSP only covers the misfire and rough idle issue. unofficially, Lexus knows the consumption is related and is not trying to screw those people over. It's just much more complicated when the complaint is oil consumption......and in the end...guess what......the proof they'll use to authorize it will be the same duplicated misfire recording.

So if you have legitimately bad oil consumption......make life easier on you and your dealership...just take the car there and complain about the oil consumption AND the car intermittently shakes at idle. if you're burning a good amount of oil, you will have some serious carbon buildup in there too. you're not doing anything wrong by saying that, just making the process of getting your consumption problem fixed a lot easier.
While this is all true, and while the TSB does cover replacing the shortblock under warranty, the WAB (in Canada at least, I haven't verified the CSP in USA) that extends the warranty to 9-years does NOT cover block replacement. :\

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Lange; 10-18-12 at 10:23 AM.

Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP