IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Old 10-08-12, 09:04 PM
skullkandy
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone who have the letter know if this applies to the is250 in Australia? =)

I contacted my local dealer and the most they can do, regarding the carbon build up is run a bottle of something...through the engine and see how it goes.

Even then its gonna cost me $150 to do it in the first place... LOL
Old 10-08-12, 09:18 PM
ghwanee
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ Sea foam?
Old 10-08-12, 10:36 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by skullkandy
Does anyone who have the letter know if this applies to the is250 in Australia? =)

I contacted my local dealer and the most they can do, regarding the carbon build up is run a bottle of something...through the engine and see how it goes.

Even then its gonna cost me $150 to do it in the first place... LOL
The letter only applies to the USA, though Canada has the same policy in place.

I think as far as Lexus Australia goes, you'll probably have to wait and see what they do. Maybe contact some people at Lexus Australia (or similar), and see what they have to say, or if there is anything in the works for this.

Jeff
Old 10-09-12, 02:49 AM
skullkandy
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ghwanee
^^^ Sea foam?
all they said was a "special type of engine cleaner"

Didn't really follow on after that lol
Old 10-09-12, 05:24 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm taking mine in today just to get checked and also get an oil change done. I want them to check it out first then do the oil change first so that I dont have to use my oil...i bring my own oil to them and pay $30 for labor. it saves me $40
Old 10-09-12, 08:35 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ghwanee
My question is if the carbon build up problem continues in few years, will they do the warranty work again?
Looks like it. If you already have the revised pistons installed and still have the carbon build up issue (like myself) I'm assuming they will just cover top engine cleans till the warranty is up since there is no other fix at this time.
Old 10-09-12, 09:22 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

So no letter for me..I can just tell my SA about the csp program? I've been having some rough idle lately but no check engine light...just curious if I'm qualified, even if I had not been with da dealer before about this issue...
Old 10-09-12, 10:03 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chris07is
So no letter for me..I can just tell my SA about the csp program? I've been having some rough idle lately but no check engine light...just curious if I'm qualified, even if I had not been with da dealer before about this issue...
Yeah i'm sure you can always just bring it in and ask to have it checked under the CSP. They shouldn't charge you to have the car checked out for the issue. Worst they can really do is check out the car and reject further repairs.
Old 10-09-12, 10:28 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

So I dont know if Im just being paranoid or I may be experiencing some minor carbon buildup.

Ever since I knew about the huge thread on carbon build up, Ive noticed some slight, and I mean slight vibrations while sitting in the car at idle. At first I thought it was just the bass hitting since I listen to my music really loud but then I notice that my RPMs are right between 500-700 all the time so idk if I should be worried....
Old 10-09-12, 10:57 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm in the same boat as bob, I started noticing it more now that the weather is a little cooler than it was before. I also find that if I feel the vibrations at a stop light, when I take my foot off the brake the car feels like it edges forward more strongly.. anyone get that too? Hopefully this falls under manufacturer warranty (I have an 08 with 60,000 kms).
Old 10-09-12, 11:58 AM
meis250
Driver

Just called Lexus Canada and they told me there's no CSP for is250 for the carbon buildup. They suggested taking the car to a dealer to be investigated first. I have asked the dealer about carbon buildup issues since I had rough idle quite a few times and they looked at me as if I had two heads. My powertrain warranty is about to expire and I don't know what to do. Never had a car with engine issues, I hope my 250 won't be the first one...
Old 10-09-12, 12:07 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
I'm in the same boat as bob, I started noticing it more now that the weather is a little cooler than it was before. I also find that if I feel the vibrations at a stop light, when I take my foot off the brake the car feels like it edges forward more strongly.. anyone get that too? Hopefully this falls under manufacturer warranty (I have an 08 with 60,000 kms).
Are your vibrations really noticeable? I know mine are very subtle and if I didnt know anything about carbon build up, I wouldnt have thought twice about it. Id rather be paranoid than actually have any issues....
Old 10-09-12, 12:31 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bob4256
Are your vibrations really noticeable? I know mine are very subtle and if I didnt know anything about carbon build up, I wouldnt have thought twice about it. Id rather be paranoid than actually have any issues....
They are, even if I didn't know about the carbon build-up issue, it would bug me. I need to go to a Lexus dealer and get this sorted out.
Old 10-09-12, 12:34 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sm1ke
They are, even if I didn't know about the carbon build-up issue, it would bug me. I need to go to a Lexus dealer and get this sorted out.
Maybe take a copy of the USA TSIB or CSP in with you when you go into the dealership. That way they will understand a bit better what you are talking about. See if they will check out the issue for you then. Even if they don't repair it, at least you'll be able to say you took it in for the issue before the warranty was expired in case it does become a problem later. I wouldn't really worry about the engine itself too much, I haven't heard of anyone having engine failure because of the carbon, but it is an annoying issue that will require at least a top engine clean to (temporarily) fix.
Old 10-09-12, 01:30 PM
bboysunone
Driver

I haven't got the letter yet. But my car feels like it about to died out and my engine is misfiring at he stop light a lot of times . Vibration is very noticeable when it stopped. So today I brought my car to the dealer to talk to SA. He said they have to diagnose the car if I m having the issue. SA said it will cost me about $170 TO.DIAGNOSED. N if it showing some code saying I have carbon built up/ misfiring they will fix it with no charge. So I m taking my car to local macanic shop to see if I m having these codes or not. But I m thinking if I take it to the dealer n they say " nohing wrong with your car". Than I just lose $170. My car is 06 with 78k.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP