IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-16, 10:21 AM
rk1zle
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KIS350
You're welcome!

I forgot a couple things in there if you're doing some routine maintenance... Air filter replacement (or clean the old one if it's not too bad) and clean the throttle body. I've read lots of people having issues after spraying a throttle body cleaner into the throttle body, as per TB cleaner manufacturers directions, so what I do is clean it by hand. The build up causes problems with airflow mostly when the butterfly is closed during low rpms. Use a rag like a microfiber cloth....if it's hard to get off with just the rag use a little gasoline on the rag or alcohol to loosen the buildup.

I hear you on the cold weather...hard to get motivated to go under the hood of the car...I just tell myself it's better than doing it when it's nice out.

Cheers!
thanks brotha. cheers!
Old 01-22-16, 03:29 PM
Jensenusmc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Lexus Is250 RWD Denied Coverage for Carbon Build up repair

Hey guys. Glad to apart of a great forum with alot of knowledge. I took my 2007 IS250 in 4 days ago and was denied coverage by Lexus corporate. I originally took my car in to Toyota because we don't have a Lexus Dealership where I live and the closet one I had to take it to is in Phoenix, AZ. But originally I took it in for alignment and just the day prior I had the engine light, Check VSC, traction control lights on. The Toyota dealership did a diagnosis scan and said I had misfires in cylinder's 1,3,&5. I was thinking just spark plugs and wires but they said they looked more into it and I needed an engine rebuild. So they handed me the paper regarding the CSP / extended warranty and said I needed to take it to a Lexus Dealership in order to get the process started for the CSP.
So I took it in and today(4 days later) I finally get a call back from the service advisor and tells me I was denied coverage because it needs to be misfiring in ALL cylinder's and also because of an oil leak. I told the SA it hasn't been leaking oil very long and that I've read different regarding misfire in ALL cylinder's. I asked her for Lexus Corporate number and my Question is, What should I say to Lexus to try and get them to cover this issue under the CSP?? Thanks in advance!
Old 01-22-16, 09:30 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

My recommendation is to call them up and explain your situation. Say that you got a copy of the CSP and that after your local dealership looked at it they found that not all cylinders were misfiring, but that it was your understanding from reading the CSP and hearing about other people's experiences that it is commonplace to not have misfires on all cylinders and that you'd like to clarify the issue and see if there is anything that can be done.

Good luck.

Jeff
Old 01-22-16, 10:58 PM
Jensenusmc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
My recommendation is to call them up and explain your situation. Say that you got a copy of the CSP and that after your local dealership looked at it they found that not all cylinders were misfiring, but that it was your understanding from reading the CSP and hearing about other people's experiences that it is commonplace to not have misfires on all cylinders and that you'd like to clarify the issue and see if there is anything that can be done.

Good luck.

Jeff
Hey thanks for your advice! I did call them and pretty much say what you said and will add in some of the things you said as well when I talk to a case manager on Tuesday. I think they need to do the fix. I meet all the requirements based on the criteria they are looking for.
Old 02-17-16, 12:13 PM
initialh
Driver School Candidate

great video! thanks for sharing.
Old 02-17-16, 07:27 PM
initialh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by diagtime
First off, FYI, this is not just a cleaning. Pistons and piston rings will be replaced. Essentially, it's an engine rebuild. Every part of your engine will be removed. Pistons, rods, valves...everything. Think of it as major heart surgery. If you need it, do it. If you don't really need it, then surgery is just taking a risk for no reason.

-THEY WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PERFORM CSP BASED ON YOUR COMPLAINT ALONE. They also can't do it based on stored misfire codes (think about it, you could simply create misfire codes if that was the case). They will have to make it misfire while recording data throughout the whole process. That recorded data will then be sent to Lexus. Truth is...if you actually have the problem....they shouldn't have too much trouble creating and recording the engine misfiring. If you don't have the problem, they probably won't be able to record it misfiring.

-You don't need the letter to have the CSP performed. If you have the misfire problem, bring it to the dealership.

-There are a lot of people that have heard about this that think they have the problem.....even though they don't
---The misfire at idle will shake the car quite badly. far far worse than any normal vibration
---The IS250 normally idles relatively low when the engine is warm. this is normal
----It is also normal for the idle to momentarily dip even lower when shifting to drive or reverse
----Sorry AWD guys, but AWD cars vibrate at least 3x as much as a RWD at idle. that's normal.

Bottom line is, if you're questioning whether your car is actually idling abnormally, it probably isn't. Trust me, when it actually misfires......you will know it. If it lasts long enough, the check engine light will start blinking.

You have 9 years from date of first use. if you have the problem....it will show up at some point. no reason to rush into the dealership unless you actually need the CSP.
Thanks! This very helpful. Regarding the 9 year period, the dealer says 9 years from date of first purchased from the dealer. Is this correct?
Old 04-09-16, 06:16 PM
SparkLex
Rookie

I bought my 2009 IS250 six months ago and from the rough idle, I could tell it probably needed the ZLA procedure for working the engine over. So my dealer did the diagnostic and got the OK from Toyota for doing it! I have it back, but I'm struck by how much noisier the engine seems to be. At idle, the engine noise reminds me of a diesel. Does this make sense?
Old 04-17-16, 03:22 PM
WhiteG
Driver School Candidate

Default IS 250 Carbon Problem

I am new to this site but wanted to see if there is more info on this topic.

I was told by Lexus corporate rep that there are steps to follow in correcting this issue- I just had Lexus complete an engine clean last Thursday after paying them $310. Today, the engine light is back on. I was originally told that Lexus would fix the issue- then a about 15 mins later was told I would have to pay to have the engine cleaned. That obviously did not fix the problem,

Any suggestions - I have written to corporate that I had the engine cleaned- the service person said that it was a short term fix.
Old 04-17-16, 03:32 PM
WhiteG
Driver School Candidate

Hello- I am new to this site but would appreciate some direction regarding the carbon build up problem. I just had a top down engine clean for $310 from Lexus on Thursday- engine is back on today.

Help!!
Old 04-17-16, 05:31 PM
Parsa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

^ what year is your car? there is 9year/unlimited mile csp to replace piston rings and things which cause carbon build up issues more than usual. even after replacing the parts carbon builds up but at a significantly slower rate. if you are eligible for the csp id be ****ing pissed seeing as they just basically robbed you $300 and i would call corporate and try to get my money back. if you are not eligible for the csp however i would still call corporate and say you just spent $300 on the top engine clean, which onviously ddnt work as they said it would, and try to get the engine rebuild lr whatever they wanna call it done for free
Old 04-17-16, 05:37 PM
WhiteG
Driver School Candidate

It is a 2009 - Corporate paid 50% of the original $620 they asked for-
Old 04-17-16, 06:31 PM
Parsa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

2009 means you falll within 9 years and therefore are eligible for FREE tsb. they charged you for an engine cleaning which didnt even fix the problem, thats messed up

here is link to tsb pdf. it says its under power train warranty but i am pretty sure this is the one they changed to 9years unlimited miles https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...sb-0068-11.pdf

here is the letter owners got from lecus about the issue a while ago

as you can see it is 9 years unlim miles

print out the pdf and show that as well as the letter to the dealer. hope i helped and good luck
Old 04-17-16, 07:00 PM
WhiteG
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you!!

I will print this out- will let you know how things turn out.

Thanks so much!!
Old 04-23-16, 09:53 AM
WhiteG
Driver School Candidate

2009 IS 250 - engine clean recommended by dealer for engine light on- initial diagnostic was for a misfire - was told they removed lots of gunk - didnt work- engine light back on in 2 days. Just took it for diagnostic before I take it back to dealer on Monday... all these codes came up: P0301 U0126,U0124, C1201,C1241,C1424,U0073,U0123. I have paid over $900 - looking up codes- looks like i have many problems. Any ideas??
Old 04-25-16, 01:14 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

WhiteG, many of those codes relate to the same issue, CAN communication bus issues and/or low voltage/power loss. Some may be related to something being unplugged while the car was on and may not be current/pending codes. C1201 is a non-code (it is an ABS code that comes up when other codes are present, in this case most likely related to P0301).

Make sure everything is connected properly, that your battery is in good working order, and then have the codes cleared. After that drive the car and see which if any come back, then diagnose those.

P0301 - Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
U0126 - Lost Communication with Steering Angle Sensor Module
U0124 - Lost Communication with Lateral Acceleration Sensor Module
C1201 - Engine Control System Malfunction (CEL/MIL on for 1 second or more)
C1241 - Skid Control Computer Low Power Supply Voltage Malfunction
C1424 - Brake Master Cylinder Pressure Sensor Output Malfunction
U0073 - Control Module Communication Bus OFF
U0123 - Lost Communication with Yaw Rate Sensor Module

Jeff

Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP