IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-15, 04:14 PM
peterkhs92
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TakaM
Which San Diego dealer are you taking it to?
I've had pretty good luck with Lexus San Diego in terms of working with Lexus Corporate to cover these type of costs.

You can also register as Lexus Owners to see if you under the CSP. You do not need the letter. If your VIN is within the range of CSP and you fall under 9 years from purchase date, you are covered along as it fits in their carbon build up criteria. If you are outside of 9 years, Lexus Corporate may still cover as goodwill but it is at their discretion.
I am scheduled this upcoming monday at Kerny Mesa of SA Lexus. I am pretty sure I am outside of the 9 year time frame; praying that they will cover as goodwill
Old 03-07-15, 03:33 PM
TakaM
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by peterkhs92
I am scheduled this upcoming monday at Kerny Mesa of SA Lexus. I am pretty sure I am outside of the 9 year time frame; praying that they will cover as goodwill
That's Lexus of San Diego(formerly known as Keany Mesa Lexus).
I think you have a fair good shot at coverage since you're not that far off from 9 years.
Worst case would probably shared cost but hopefully not since this is pretty expensive fix.
Old 03-19-15, 09:46 AM
cavasos
Driver School Candidate

Default troubled with my is250

I had the recall performed back in 2012 it is now 2015 my troubles are starting all over again. Going From second to first it jolts ( clunk to clunk ) . rpms jump sitting at a light, not always. I don't like being scared To drive it and being stuck somewhere. Is their another issue. I did call customer support and have them document this so if anybody else has this problem they will know.
Old 03-19-15, 09:50 AM
cavasos
Driver School Candidate

Default same issue

Originally Posted by 355F1
Is it too soon to tell if Lexus's "fixed pistons" actually fixed the problem?

I have 121k miles on my 2010 (bought her new)--one of the last 2010's built that unfortunately is outside of the VIN range for the carbon TSB.

Starting at about 90k I noticed that at a stoplight the RPMs dropped from the normal 700 down to about 400, then shot up to about 1200 and instantly back to normal 700. Dealer ran the test and it passed.

It is now happening about 1-2 times per month. NO other issues or symptoms. I visit the dealer at least every 5k miles for an oil change.

There aren't many high-mileage 2010 1/2+ IS's on the road yet....

Dealer said he has had people bring their cars in and they had to run it 3-4 times over a 3-12 month period to get it to fail the test so Lexus could replace it.

This could be interesting....and I will definitely keep y'all posted on what happens.

I drive about 30k/yr for work and planned on keeping this until it hit 250k....now I'm getting scared it may not last that long.....and it will be paid off in 5 months.....ugh....
I'm not sure if that fix the problem but I had mine done 3 years ago and my car started to do it all over again
Old 03-19-15, 10:15 AM
cavasos
Driver School Candidate

Default did you have the service performed on it and now its doing it again

Originally Posted by EXL124
Mine is shacking again too. Hasn't happened in months. Than all of a sudden 3 times this week. Its happening during idle only and I was sitting waiting at a red light. Once I put my foot on the gas pedal...gone. This would take forever to prove to Lexus dealer. But I guess I have to start sometime and bring it in for them to document it.
did you have the service performed and now its doing it again
Old 03-19-15, 10:18 AM
cavasos
Driver School Candidate

Default reply.

Originally Posted by Antredd
My engine on my 09 250 was repaired in August 2013. Within these last three months, and sometimes after coming to a quick stop, my car shakes almost shutting off again. Has anyone had any similar symptoms after their piston rings were changed?
Me too. Just called lexus to document it.
Old 03-20-15, 10:36 PM
autox250
Driver

I promised I'd put pictures of the engine up a month ago... sorry for the delay, here they are!.

for those of you that have had reoccuring episodes, remember it can also be a factor how well the job was done to start with. Obviously this cylinder head got it's due attention.

CAVASOS, you say your car jolts as it downshifts from 2nd to 1st?? thats unrelated.. harsh shifts arent caused by this. you might have to look into other causes, sometimes its fluid contamination and a simple shift flare. The stumbling at idle, YES. take it back, they should do a top eng clean for you

Intake runner and top of valve

cylinder head before any cleaning

very little if ANY carbon build up on pistons, proof that the oil build turned carbon is on the other side of the valves

head cleaned, valves lapped, ready for install

a comparison of 3 intake valves

a close up of before and after
Old 04-02-15, 03:00 PM
Crp207
Driver School Candidate

Default Missed recall by 6 weeks..

My 2006 IS250 has been having power issues (one time). I brought it and found I needed the rebuild people have been talking about. I missed the 9 years by 6 weeks and now have a $6000 rebuild bill. Thinking of having it done elsewhere (waiting for price)
Seeing if I can see this to Lexus as is
Keeping it as it and see if I have more trouble...
Any expert opinions ??
Old 04-02-15, 04:51 PM
dmk720
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Crp207
My 2006 IS250 has been having power issues (one time). I brought it and found I needed the rebuild people have been talking about. I missed the 9 years by 6 weeks and now have a $6000 rebuild bill. Thinking of having it done elsewhere (waiting for price)
Any expert opinions ??
Why would you pay for it ,if for so many of us symptoms came back? I did 20000 miles since and learn to live with it. "Done elsewhere" , when 175 dollars an hr. Lexus dealer "experts" could not fix it? No thanks.
Old 04-03-15, 08:09 AM
darylrsv4
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife's 08' has never thrown any CEL's but it is a little rough accelerating to 30-40 mph. Sound like the carbon issue?
Old 04-03-15, 03:14 PM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by darylrsv4
My wife's 08' has never thrown any CEL's but it is a little rough accelerating to 30-40 mph. Sound like the carbon issue?
Yeah, if it feels like it has really no mid range torque even though it already doesn't have much. Watch if it semi stalls when coming to a stop.
Old 04-06-15, 04:49 PM
Crp207
Driver School Candidate

Default Resolved!

Originally Posted by Crp207
Any expert opinions ??
Well.. Heard back from Lexus this morning and they have agreed to do the job even though I missed the 9 year time limit. Apparently my history of ownership helped. (5 Lexus and 2 Toyotas)
Very relieved as I really had no idea what I was going to do. Hopefully the repair will keep me rolling for a few more years.
Old 04-28-15, 02:00 PM
Tajai7
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lexus IS250 intake valve carbon buildup fix/cleaning with Walnut Blasting

For those of you who may be outside of Lexus power-train warranty or TSB requirements, you might want to see if a local shop offers Walnut Blasting (walnut shell blasting) to help clean the intake valves.

I had seen it offered for BMWs (see blog post) and wondered if the same logic could work for us. My questions were answered when I stumbled upon a blog post about this carbon build up issue and found out that they were trying to engineer this service for Lexus IS owners.

Long story short, they did the Walnut Blasting process on my car and the results have been great! I have seen improved (nearly instant) throttle response and smoother idle.

In my opinion, something like this should be offered by the dealership as a part of ongoing maintenance. One thing to note is that I did have the intake cleaned and a couple pistons and valve rings replaced under warranty at 85k miles, had this Walnut Blasting process done at 118k miles and still noticed a significant gain in performance.

To read more about the process and view some photos of the results, check out the CARSpec Blog Post - Lexus IS250 and GS300 intake valve carbon fix/cleaning with walnut blasting.

After on the LEFT | Before on the RIGHT

Last edited by Tajai7; 04-28-15 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-14-15, 04:39 PM
AlFakher
Driver School Candidate

Currently getting my car checked out at Stevens Creek. $155 if problem cannot be detected. Car rough started and died 3 times in 2 days, and intermittently comes to a rough idle at stop. So far it sounds like they can't detect that anything's wrong, no misfire codes. Are there any codes logged in the system?
Old 05-14-15, 05:42 PM
ILL250
Driver

Originally Posted by AlFakher
Currently getting my car checked out at Stevens Creek. $155 if problem cannot be detected. Car rough started and died 3 times in 2 days, and intermittently comes to a rough idle at stop. So far it sounds like they can't detect that anything's wrong, no misfire codes. Are there any codes logged in the system?
I feel like the dealership is trying to get your money. When I took my car into Steven Creeks, the SA didnt mention about a $155 fee if the problem didn't get detected...

Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP