IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-15, 02:46 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

This sounds like a nightmare, 66 pages for the Carbon Buildup issues so far. Sorry to hear owners/CL members are having to go through with this.
Old 01-23-15, 02:53 PM
TakaM
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Took the 07 IS250 to our local Lexus dealer for the wiper recall.
Dealer also recommended diagnostic test for carbon build up which I ok'd.
Received call back that Toyota/Lexus will cover the engine rebuild.
Got the car back with full tank of gas and you can actually tell the smoothness and power difference of the rebuilt engine.
Our Lexus had 98K miles and probably need some solution again at 200K miles.
Dealer went ahead and replaced the water pump under warranty/CSP as well .
They didn't damage the car when returned (which is unusual) other than minor scuffs on the engine cover and oily hand print on the roof liner and A-pillar.....not a big issue.
Very happy with the result.
Old 01-23-15, 04:53 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

@TakaM wow what dealer is this? This is very good! And how can you get all this when your car is 2007, isn't it out of warranty long time ago?
Old 01-23-15, 08:18 PM
lexuspaaji
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any idea how much they charge for the "top engine cleaning" in Canada? I want to get it done just for peace of mind.
Old 01-23-15, 10:06 PM
FiLtHyGS
Rookie

If your from the bay area, take it to fremont lexus so far they perform the CSP on my car and my friend. Took about week plus they gave me a rental car.
Old 01-25-15, 03:32 PM
autox250
Driver

TakaM "They didn't damage the car when returned (which is unusual) other than minor scuffs on the engine cover and oily hand print on the roof liner and A-pillar.....not a big issue."
I don't know where you get your car serviced at.... But I've done 26 so far and I always give the car back better than I got it. No dent scratch or stain.. Engine bay power washed and a minor detail by car wash dept.
Maybe you should try a new dealer...
Old 01-26-15, 10:13 AM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

I am having carbon build up and abnormal oil consumption. Reading the last 66 pages of discussion it seems that neither problems will be solved by letting Lexus replace the piston ring. Should I even bother bringing it back to Lexus?
Old 01-26-15, 03:51 PM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

If not, do I just keep putting in fuel injector cleaners and top up whenever the engine oil gets burn out? and hope for the best until Lexus mans up and does something for us Canadians?
Old 01-29-15, 09:25 AM
Jwild909
Driver School Candidate

this might sound like a dumb question but im a new lexus owner

Are they still performing this recall? Im located in cali

Ive been told by other lexus buddies of mine that this is the reason our gas smells after we floor it

please keep immature remarks to yourslef
Old 01-29-15, 02:32 PM
TakaM
Driver

Originally Posted by FSportIS
@TakaM wow what dealer is this? This is very good! And how can you get all this when your car is 2007, isn't it out of warranty long time ago?
Lexus of San Diego in Kearny Mesa.

CSP is covered 9 years, unlimited mileage, hence I qualified (have one year left).
Old 01-29-15, 02:38 PM
TakaM
Driver

Originally Posted by autox250
TakaM "They didn't damage the car when returned (which is unusual) other than minor scuffs on the engine cover and oily hand print on the roof liner and A-pillar.....not a big issue."
I don't know where you get your car serviced at.... But I've done 26 so far and I always give the car back better than I got it. No dent scratch or stain.. Engine bay power washed and a minor detail by car wash dept.
Maybe you should try a new dealer...
I did once and went to a different dealer. However, this different dealer also had issue and to top it off, I had to convince them who's responsible and what the proper repair was. With the current dealer, they always made it right.
Twice they broke the engine cover, scratched the center dash right by the manual stick, etc. These things are repairable and since this current dealer owned up to their mistakes, I always end up coming back. I work on cars on my own as well (dealer only gets involved during warranty or recall work) and I know how easy it is to scratch or ding flimsy plastics, interior trims and such so I do sympathize with the dealer/techs where they have to do the job right and within allotted time (hence, I would never qualify for a billable tech......I take too long). I also read reviews of other dealers in the neighborhood and they were no better, hence, I figured I go to a dealership that's willing to make things right at the end.

Last edited by TakaM; 01-29-15 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-29-15, 02:45 PM
TakaM
Driver

Originally Posted by panda327
I am having carbon build up and abnormal oil consumption. Reading the last 66 pages of discussion it seems that neither problems will be solved by letting Lexus replace the piston ring. Should I even bother bringing it back to Lexus?
Yes...you should get the service done. Even if this service doesn't solve the carbon build up due to direct Injection design issue, it will at least give you another 100K miles since they are basically rebuilding the whole engine. I'm also hopeful that new piston ring design delays the inevitable carbon build up.
Old 01-31-15, 05:30 PM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TakaM
Yes...you should get the service done. Even if this service doesn't solve the carbon build up due to direct Injection design issue, it will at least give you another 100K miles since they are basically rebuilding the whole engine. I'm also hopeful that new piston ring design delays the inevitable carbon build up.
I live in Canada and it doesn't seem that the dealerships here are ready to admit this problem yet.

What are my options? Is it a big enough issue to warrant selling or trading this car away?

I am also out of warranty, so likely I have to pay out of pocket to get the engine rebuilt. ><

Last edited by panda327; 01-31-15 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-02-15, 11:59 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 583 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by panda327
I live in Canada and it doesn't seem that the dealerships here are ready to admit this problem yet.

What are my options? Is it a big enough issue to warrant selling or trading this car away?

I am also out of warranty, so likely I have to pay out of pocket to get the engine rebuilt. ><
Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Warranty for this issue in Canada has been extended from 6 years / 110,000km to 9 years / unlimited km as per warranty administration bulletin (WAB) 2086.

Hopefully that helps some people with the issue.

Jeff
Have your dealership check into Lexus WAB 2086, I would think your car would still be covered if the issue is what's being described in the bulletin (carbon build-up and/or excessive oil consumption).

Hope that helps!

Jeff
Old 02-02-15, 02:35 PM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Have your dealership check into Lexus WAB 2086, I would think your car would still be covered if the issue is what's being described in the bulletin (carbon build-up and/or excessive oil consumption).

Hope that helps!

Jeff
Hot damn!!! Gonna storm the dealership this weekend. Thanks!!!

Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP