IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-14, 08:36 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sissyjam
Have any Canadian residents with US vehicles had any success getting this serviced locally? I've had my dealership more or less diagnose my '08 with this issue, but they will not service the vehicle under the CSP provided by the US.

I had an uneventful chat with Lexus USA regarding this, and they do not want to acknowledge the diagnosis by the technicians here, stating that I need to go to a US dealership for inspection to verify the problem exists. Given the intermittent nature of this problem, I think it's absolutely ridiculous. I'm starting to regret having purchased this vehicle.
While the vehicle itself does have this issue, the problem lies in the fact that Lexus Canada will not acknowledge the CSP provided by Lexus USA. Lexus Canada needs to get their **** together and release the same CSP here so owners with this issue can get some sort of resolution.

Their reasoning for not doing it lies in the fact that not enough people have had this issue occur in Canada vs. in the US. It could be due to a myriad of reasons (lower sales, different climate, fewer owners, etc.), but because it hasn't been reported as often as it has in the US, there is no official Canadian CSP for this issue. I think it's ridiculous because there is no difference between the engines of a US vehicle and a CDN vehicle.
Old 07-09-14, 08:51 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess is that the gas in Canada/ Europe has better additives since the problem is not that common.
Old 07-11-14, 04:16 PM
JATLIFE
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My car has 182K and has done the "shakes" every month or two for years. Never stranded me, only once did it act really odd (it limited my speed, rpm, and all lights came on). On Monday the car started funny and the check engine light came on immediately. Took it to the dealer (for the third or fourth time on this problem) and it finally hit the threshold Lexus corporate needed. Getting worked on now.

Anything in particular I should do with the car when I get it back? I'm assuming my tech will advise me but I'm curious if you guys had any constructive input.

BTW, after the second or third time I was told no by the dealer, I called corporate and asked them what if my car dies on me a day after the 9 yr warranty is up. They said they'd cover me for life and note it in the system. Hopefully they stick to that if it happens again!
Old 07-12-14, 12:07 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 155 Likes on 91 Posts

Jatlife, just hope for the best. Some people here say they've had the work done and everything was fine after. I had mine done and it still gives me the shakes. At least they are trying. I guess the final setiment I'd say is it may help a lot, a little, or maybe don't get your hopes up at all.
Old 07-15-14, 03:10 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

I've seen threads on installing a "catch can" in the PCV circuit. Has anyone just disconnected the PCV hose and let it vent into the outside air? Bad for emissions, I'm sure, but maybe an engine saver?
Old 07-15-14, 07:08 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Originally Posted by sktn77a
I've seen threads on installing a "catch can" in the PCV circuit. Has anyone just disconnected the PCV hose and let it vent into the outside air? Bad for emissions, I'm sure, but maybe an engine saver?
I've seen people do that a lot actually, they just put a little filter thing on the valve instead. Like this:

Personally I like the look of the catch can better, even just a cheaper $10 DIY one like this:

Since it's smaller, you have to empty it more frequently. And since it's DIY, you have to buy everything separately (filter, fittings, hose, etc.) and put it together yourself.
Old 07-21-14, 06:50 PM
blklexo818
Pole Position

i just had mine taken care of. after years of years of *****ing to the dealers they finally found out what it is. jus take your car in and tell them you have a problem at idle and it's getting worse. they damn near rebuilt my entire engine..only bad thing was i had to drive a slow *** CT for a week but hey whatever
Old 07-22-14, 07:34 AM
EXL124
Driver School Candidate

Mine is shacking again too. Hasn't happened in months. Than all of a sudden 3 times this week. Its happening during idle only and I was sitting waiting at a red light. Once I put my foot on the gas pedal...gone. This would take forever to prove to Lexus dealer. But I guess I have to start sometime and bring it in for them to document it.
Old 07-31-14, 07:40 PM
GSKaplan
Rookie

Not sure if it was ever mentioned, but the test the dealer uses to reproduce a misfire (while recording) is:

1.)Idle engine to warm
2.) Rev engine to 4000rpm and hold for 30sec
3.) Snap throttle to 6000rpm
4.) Repeat.

You'll know if it needs it if it misfires.

Carbon on intake valve - Before

After - cleaned and lapped
Old 07-31-14, 08:08 PM
FMJ IS
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, manually cleaning them?

i am from canada, so the recall wont happen here, i found a place who do crushed walnut cleaning for $480, would that solve the problem? it will clean the valve, but wont clean the rings i believe.

would you guys recommend it? is this price fair?
Old 07-31-14, 08:15 PM
GSKaplan
Rookie

Not sure how you would clean it with the crushed walnut in the car. Still have to put the valves in the machine.

This is how you have to get them out of the head.

Also the IS250 get new pistons and piston rings as well to REDUCE the oil blowby. The direct injection is still the main reason for carbon build up - no fuel passes the intake valve to wash it. So in lieu you've got to drive 'em like you stole 'em to keep them clean.
Old 08-01-14, 04:44 PM
robtwo
Rookie

Originally Posted by sm1ke
While the vehicle itself does have this issue, the problem lies in the fact that Lexus Canada will not acknowledge the CSP provided by Lexus USA. Lexus Canada needs to get their **** together and release the same CSP here so owners with this issue can get some sort of resolution.

Their reasoning for not doing it lies in the fact that not enough people have had this issue occur in Canada vs. in the US. It could be due to a myriad of reasons (lower sales, different climate, fewer owners, etc.), but because it hasn't been reported as often as it has in the US, there is no official Canadian CSP for this issue. I think it's ridiculous because there is no difference between the engines of a US vehicle and a CDN vehicle.
I've seen this happen with recalls/warranty issues. It appears the two markets have different views. Here in America we expect the company to stand behind the product. In Canada it's half way to Europe, buyer beware model.

If I had a serious problem I'd try a bunch of stuff before I finally sold the car. Assuming I live in Canada.

Originally Posted by keyframe13
My guess is that the gas in Canada/ Europe has better additives since the problem is not that common.
I don't think it's quality of gas. The US market will move the large volume so there will be a larger number of reported problems. In Canada they probably see 10 complaints and ignore, while it might in fact be a higher percent of sales.

We also get legal here. People in Canada and Europe just complain about things but rarely take legal action. The courts often reject such 'out of warranty' items under the grounds it doesn't have to be covered as no contract was broken.
Old 08-02-14, 07:24 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Originally Posted by robtwo
The US market will move the large volume so there will be a larger number of reported problems. In Canada they probably see 10 complaints and ignore, while it might in fact be a higher percent of sales.

We also get legal here. People in Canada and Europe just complain about things but rarely take legal action. The courts often reject such 'out of warranty' items under the grounds it doesn't have to be covered as no contract was broken.
Without enough incidents, its a lot harder to make a case. You said it yourself, the US market moves the higher volume, which means more cases of the carbon build-up arise. More cases means a stronger argument in a lawsuit, which is why legal action is taken more often in the US.

In Canada there are simply too few cases of the carbon build-up.
Old 08-02-14, 08:09 PM
robtwo
Rookie

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Without enough incidents, its a lot harder to make a case. You said it yourself, the US market moves the higher volume, which means more cases of the carbon build-up arise. More cases means a stronger argument in a lawsuit, which is why legal action is taken more often in the US.

In Canada there are simply too few cases of the carbon build-up.
Legal action is taken more often in the US because it's a societal difference. Full stop.
Old 08-05-14, 01:57 PM
LexHes
Driver

Originally Posted by B16da9
So the dealer called today about my sisters 250 and guess what "They could not duplicate the problem" and they forced us to pay a $125.00 diagnostic fee. Needless to say I am very upset over this and called Lexus corp about paying for something that is a design flaw by Toyota/Lexus.
Question.. and excuse me if I missed it but did your sister's car have the "CHECK VSC-CHECK ENGINE-TRAC CON" Malfunction lights on? If so, Thats pretty jacked up they charged you.

I have been having this issue for a couple years now but I just reset the system and it shuts off.. Up until a few months pass then i get the same error. So I currently have an appointment at Lexus Stevens Creek here in the South Bay, Ca. They couldnt get me in for about 2 weeks so I am just going to show up at the service line bright and early this week. Anybody else have the issue taken care of here in the Bay Area?

Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP