IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-13, 06:49 PM
Dapper
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jlb5685
Yes, I would like to hear out of pocket costs (if any) from owners who have had this rebuild done please.
There are no out-of-pocket costs if you only get the pistons and rings replaced. Its highly recommended that you swap out the spark plugs and water pump while everything is already apart. But besides that, you should not have any out of pocket costs.

Maybe try another dealership. I went into my dealership in Raleigh, NC with no codes being thrown and Lexus corporate still approved the service. This was in October 2013.

Hope everything goes well for you.
Old 12-06-13, 07:01 AM
jlb5685
Driver School Candidate

SEE! That's what I mean! You're not the first one I've spoken to who had it done with no codes showing. I had the misfire code showing when I brought it in AND they reproduced it as well but yet they still came back with this crap. I expected to change the plugs and pay for those but nothing to do with the rebuild and there's no reason it should be put off for another misfire.

Still waiting on Lexus corporate to get back with me. I see no reason that corporate shouldn't call me back and say they will go ahead with the rebuild. They shouldn't offer this to some owners hassle-free with no out of pocket costs and then offer something different to others with great hassle.
Old 12-06-13, 12:14 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jlb5685
SEE! That's what I mean! You're not the first one I've spoken to who had it done with no codes showing. I had the misfire code showing when I brought it in AND they reproduced it as well but yet they still came back with this crap. I expected to change the plugs and pay for those but nothing to do with the rebuild and there's no reason it should be put off for another misfire.

Still waiting on Lexus corporate to get back with me. I see no reason that corporate shouldn't call me back and say they will go ahead with the rebuild. They shouldn't offer this to some owners hassle-free with no out of pocket costs and then offer something different to others with great hassle.
That's the thing, Lexus will cover the TSB, but the dealerships are responsible for handling them. It's not so much Lexus that's giving customers different stories, it's the dealerships doing what they want to do. Some are ok with eating up the costs and time of doing the recall, others want to take advantage of it by claiming that you need to have other things done, and others have a backlog so long that they offer temporary fixes to tide you over until they have the time or manpower to actually fix the problem.
Old 12-09-13, 01:07 AM
Dennis777
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation Is250 Just died from this problem

My wife and I are on a road trip in Montana, and have had my 2006 Is250 vibrate quite a bit, and stall a few times and the other day on a cold morning It wouldn't start at all, I tried everything i knew to do, and then had it towed to a toyota dealer, "there are no lexus dealers around here" and they said they would call lexus on monday and ask them if it was covered. I extremely low compression on 3 cylinders, like 50 psi!:sad

I sure hope it is, I don't have 7 grand to do a rebuild, they said it threw the code. But will lexus let a toyota dealer do the rebuild and honor it? it has 140,000 miles, but I always ran premium gas and top of the line oil in it.

was pretty stressed, but I am hoping lexus will stand behind it.

any ideas? Thanx!
Old 12-09-13, 10:26 AM
Luxman
Driver School Candidate

Good luck with Lexus Corporate, on the IS250, everyone. Initially, I was assigned a case manager who, after much discussion and back and forth with the dealer, told me that there was nothing they could do without the computer storing the event codes. Her advice was to wait until the engine failed again and bring it back to the dealer, which I did. Same story –*no codes, no help. I contacted Lexus Corporate again and gave them my name and vehicle ID and learned that my case had been closed. I was able to speak with another customer rep who, after much more discussion, told me there was nothing they could do for me. Even though the indicator lights that I described coming on matched the carbon built-up problem for which Lexus had been doing the engine/piston rebuild. Now I'm reading that some owners have had the Lexus rebuild even without the codes, but that they have to spend out-of-pocket for plugs, filters, and cleaning on their own first –*almost a $700 investment. Earlier, many owners were receiving the complementary rebuild with no problem. As my gas mileage slowly declines, so does my enthusiasm for Lexus. Too bad, it WAS a hell of a car...
Old 12-09-13, 02:15 PM
Dennis777
Driver School Candidate

Default is 250 that died, lexus is really slow in helping

I am talking to lexus corporate and they are very slow to help me at all, they are assigning a case manager for me, and she seemed very reluctant to help.

the code that the toyota dealership gave me that it spit out was LSB-0124-12, and she was trying to tell me that may not be enough, that I may need other codes to get any help or reimbursement.

I wonder if I got my stuff and info together and hired a friend thats a lawyer if they would step up to the plate quicker and help out?
Old 12-09-13, 05:28 PM
Sleekper
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes I get rough idle at the light but back in February, all my lights on the dash came on. I made an appointment to come in the next day. For some odd reason the next morning all of the warning lights turned off. But I did take a picture of the dash just to prove it was on. Once I got there they said they should be able to locate the last 50 miles that's stored in the ecu. Luckly, I live about 8 miles from the dealership. I left my car there and got a call the next day. They said they were able to pull up the data and approve the csp repair without any warning lights on. But there is a waiting list for about 6 months. I got the repair done in August. They also recommend to changing out spark plugs and water pump. I already had the sparkplugs from Sewell Black Friday sale last year. I just had to pay for the waterpump which cost $250 and the labor was free. Overall the repair was great and even drove to Vegas shortly after repair. I haven't experienced any rough idle since. Hope this will help anyone who had their lights on and turned off. Oh yeah and the dealership is Lexus of Westminster.
Old 12-10-13, 05:53 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the cleaner done and then the rebuild and new spark plugs and unfortunately the car still idles rough and acts like it wants to stall still from time to time. So their fix isn't a fix...sad as I will never buy another one and will stay away from all direct injection from now on. What a joke!

Last edited by is250gurl; 12-10-13 at 06:06 AM.
Old 12-10-13, 05:57 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

are they going to fix the engine for you then since the easy fix didnt fix it
Old 12-10-13, 06:04 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
are they going to fix the engine for you then since the easy fix didnt fix it
The pistons were rebuilt after the easy fix didn't work and it's still not fixed. I am not the only one here either.
Old 12-10-13, 09:21 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by is250gurl
The pistons were rebuilt after the easy fix didn't work and it's still not fixed. I am not the only one here either.
They also dennied my sisters IS250 because the dealer could not reproduced the problem. I had to end up taking the upper and lower intake manifold my self and clean out the top of the valves with seafoam. While I was added I also changed the Spark Plugs and water pump and added a catch can system to that car.

Since I've done all that my sister says the car has power once again and is getting great gas milage.
Old 12-11-13, 08:48 PM
06GFM
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2006 is250 (81000km) that misfires occasionally. When I contacted Richmond Lexus in Canada, I was told that I must be the original owner and be up to date with service, which according to her, is every six months or 8000 kms. I am the second owner and the vehicle was a certified pre-owned from Lexus.

Has anyone else heard anything similar?
Old 12-11-13, 10:49 PM
Dapper
Rookie

Originally Posted by 06GFM
I have a 2006 is250 (81000km) that misfires occasionally. When I contacted Richmond Lexus in Canada, I was told that I must be the original owner and be up to date with service, which according to her, is every six months or 8000 kms. I am the second owner and the vehicle was a certified pre-owned from Lexus.

Has anyone else heard anything similar?
Have not heard of that. I am the third owner of my 2006 IS250. It has not been to the dealer in the past two years, but i was still able to get the CSP work done.
Old 12-13-13, 09:02 PM
mrAkana
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just visited my local Lexus dealer this afternoon and set an appointment next Tuesday for an inspection concerning the CSP carbon build up. I haven't had a check engine light come up but noticed a progression in the engine idling. Also, the service member did say Lexus has a campaign extension regarding the "mis-fire and bad seal" and stated the coverage went from 9 years or 150,000 miles whichever comes first. I shall keep you all updated and hope I'm able to get this campaign initiated.
Old 12-16-13, 01:53 PM
Luxman
Driver School Candidate

Rumors and hearsay of warranty extensions, engine & piston rebuilds, and letters from Lexus. 70,000 miles upped to 150,000 miles, 9 years, etc. etc. I was told by Lexus that NO letters went out as part of any Lexus IS250 repair initiative. Although there's talk circulating out in the service bays and service tech lunchrooms if you listen hard enough. This whole thing seems like a giant coverup of a bad promise made when there were only a half-dozen reports in the country about the carbon build-up symptoms. By the look of this forum, it seems like just about every IS250 owner with a laptop has a similar complaint, and everyone's been handed a different story. For me, going directly to the top got me absolutely nowhere at all. And no dealer in the world –*no matter what your relationship with them –*is going to suck up a $4,000 engine rebuild without reimbursement from the manufacturer. And Lexus corporate told me directly –*twice –*that there was nothing they could do. Continued good luck to those given a glimmer of hope, but I'll just idly roughly at the traffic light watching my declining gas mileage and trade-in value...

Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP