IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-13, 12:17 PM
Dapper
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone else had reduced MPG after the CSP work was done? Before going into the dealership for the CSP, I was averaging 26/30.

I also had them change my spark plugs during the CSP. Now I am averaging 20/24. Anyone else have this experience, and if so, what steps did you take to remedy the situation. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-16-13, 12:29 PM
cscredle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dapper
Has anyone else had reduced MPG after the CSP work was done? Before going into the dealership for the CSP, I was averaging 26/30.

I also had them change my spark plugs during the CSP. Now I am averaging 20/24. Anyone else have this experience, and if so, what steps did you take to remedy the situation. Thanks in advance!
I am having lower MPG now. Mine was worked on in August with 89,000 miles on her. I also changed the plugs at that time. Just drove 850 miles to KY for a family emergency last weekend, and I topped out at 27 MPG all highway. Granted I had to drive through the mountains. My family will be going to FL in February, and I hope since it is flat maybe the mileage will go up
Old 11-16-13, 10:38 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, after having the CSP done, your car's engine is essentially a new engine. The seals are supposed to be tighter to prevent oil from leaking through, so that will result in a lower MPG. After about a couple thousand miles, my MPG has started to go back up to normal and even exceeded what I would average when I had the carbon build-up.
Old 11-17-13, 06:35 AM
dmk720
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

CSP done!Changed water pump(noisy) 250$. Serpentine belt:50$,Plugs:148$. Also mechanic replaced all rod bearings:150$(per set) My total after taxes:600$.Car souds better but too early to see any other benefits.
Old 11-21-13, 09:28 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dmk720
What type of oil they will use for my 06 250 after CSP 5W-30 or 0W-20?
So I actually have been thinking about it, and I think for my next oil change, I'm going to switch to using 0W-20. Since the new engine components are supposed to create a tighter seal, I think running a lower viscosity oil would provide more protection. All the new models, I believe, are using 0W-20 or 5W-20.
Old 11-24-13, 07:28 PM
Letxen3
Rookie

got my carbon build up fix done, car was in for 11 days, warranty parts included: pistons, and while engine was out they fixed the replaced the cam gears (rattle on start up TSB) and the water pump (seepage). parts i paid for needed replacement spark plugs $107 and the drive belt $49. car definitely feels better now when taking off. very happy with the way car is driving.
Old 11-25-13, 08:46 PM
Letxen3
Rookie

Originally Posted by nitrotang
Well, after having the CSP done, your car's engine is essentially a new engine. The seals are supposed to be tighter to prevent oil from leaking through, so that will result in a lower MPG. After about a couple thousand miles, my MPG has started to go back up to normal and even exceeded what I would average when I had the carbon build-up.
i too noticed the MPG is down on the screen, i have not done the real calcs yet. but it use to be 25/32 and now the city is 19 mpg. but from what your saying nitrotang i will wait a few miles and see if it gets better before i bring it up the dealer.
Old 11-28-13, 11:23 AM
dmk720
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrotang
So I actually have been thinking about it, and I think for my next oil change, I'm going to switch to using 0W-20. Since the new engine components are supposed to create a tighter seal, I think running a lower viscosity oil would provide more protection. All the new models, I believe, are using 0W-20 or 5W-20.
2012-14 Camrys are using 0-20 and it is the same engine for many years.What have changed to allow them to switch?They also allow to use 5-30(every 5K) when 0-20(every 10K) is not available.Same question for newer IS250 with same engine for the last 7 years.
Old 12-05-13, 12:29 PM
jlb5685
Driver School Candidate

So I brought my '07 IS in to Nalley Lexus in Georgia yesterday to get this repair done with the letter. It threw a misfire code on Monday and the code was still there when I brought it in. My SA immediately knew that it was the carbon and I saw about a dozen other IS models like mine there for same thing. BUT - I just got a call from her saying that Lexus has revised this CSP and that they are now requiring an air induction service and the spark plugs to be changed first and then if another misfire presents then they will go ahead with the work.

She essentially said its out of her hands and that corporate issued that to them so they have to do those two things to all models coming in with this problem (IF they have not been done recently) before they will do the work. Thing is she quoted me over $200 for the air induction and $465 for the spark plugs. I will get the spark plugs done on my own for much cheaper but I don't see why I need the air induction when that obviously isn't fixing the problem. When I asked if I get the induction done and then it throws another misfire code down the road, will I be reimbursed for the money paid? She said well it needs the air induction anyway, that I'm supposed to do that every 30k miles max anyway. So essentially yes. I wasn't expecting this. I knew I needed spark plugs but I don't see why I should have to pay for an air induction service??
Old 12-05-13, 12:45 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jlb5685
So I brought my '07 IS in to Nalley Lexus in Georgia yesterday to get this repair done with the letter. It threw a misfire code on Monday and the code was still there when I brought it in. My SA immediately knew that it was the carbon and I saw about a dozen other IS models like mine there for same thing. BUT - I just got a call from her saying that Lexus has revised this CSP and that they are now requiring an air induction service and the spark plugs to be changed first and then if another misfire presents then they will go ahead with the work.

She essentially said its out of her hands and that corporate issued that to them so they have to do those two things to all models coming in with this problem (IF they have not been done recently) before they will do the work. Thing is she quoted me over $200 for the air induction and $465 for the spark plugs. I will get the spark plugs done on my own for much cheaper but I don't see why I need the air induction when that obviously isn't fixing the problem. When I asked if I get the induction done and then it throws another misfire code down the road, will I be reimbursed for the money paid? She said well it needs the air induction anyway, that I'm supposed to do that every 30k miles max anyway. So essentially yes. I wasn't expecting this. I knew I needed spark plugs but I don't see why I should have to pay for an air induction service??
I'd assume that "air induction" is just cabin and engine air filter.

I'd call BS on both recommendations and contact Lexus corporate directly. Get them to send you an email detailing the work to be done (if its any different than the letter you got in the mail). I'm not sure if Lexus issues support tickets for customer issues, but if they do, have that handy when you go back to the dealer. Or, better yet, head to your dealer and ask your service rep to call corporate while you listen in. It sounds like the dealership is just trying to squeeze some money out of you.

Maybe try another Lexus dealership?

This is also a good time to get your waterpump replaced, if it hasn't been already.
Old 12-05-13, 01:01 PM
jlb5685
Driver School Candidate

No - air induction meaning a service to clean the carbon out of the engine. I need to replace the plugs anyway so I will have that done either through them by buying the plugs myself and having them only charge me labor or have a friend do it.

But I just don't get the carbon cleaning crap for over $200. And the fact that, according to her, I will be out the money it misfires again and they end up having to do the repair anyway - which WILL happen judging by the many IS owners here that have had the same thing done.
Old 12-05-13, 01:41 PM
jlb5685
Driver School Candidate

So I put a call in to the corporate lexus number and was assigned a case manager. I was told I would receive a call back by Monday. I made sure to let them know this dealership is fantastic and I've always gotten excellent service and my SA is VERY good. However, I feel like the "air induction service" is a rip off. I understand that all engines build carbon on them but obviously the IS 250 is flawed since they build carbon at a much faster rate and hence need the repair outlined in the letter. I told them that IF they require that I have this done first before they will touch the pistons, then they should cover it. I don't know the specifics of how the carbon buildup caused the pistons to wear or whatever the case may be to where we all need this repair but I would love to know those details so I can be fully informed when they call back. Can someone please fill me in on how the carbon buildup affected the pistons, etc to need the repair outlined in the letter? Or give me more advice on what to say in response to them saying "I still need this done"?
Old 12-05-13, 01:59 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Carbon cleaning should be done alongside the piston replacement. Think about it this way, if the carbon is cleaned, it may fix the issue temporarily, but the carbon will just build up again because of the initial problem causing the build-up.

I'll bet that carbon cleaning is not listed anywhere in the manual as a part of the 30k service. In fact..
http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...HU_MS0007f.pdf

Page 10. I see air filters, but no carbon cleaning service done on the engine. So it's not a "required service", unless Lexus corporate confirms that some changes were made to the maintenance schedule when they call you back.
Old 12-05-13, 02:12 PM
Meguerra
Driver

Read this PDF top end carbon clean procedure starts on page 5. This is only a temporary solution once the carbon builds up again you will be right back where you are now. And it should be covered under the TSB L-SB-0029-10. Hopefully others will chime in who have had this procedure done can verify there was no out of pocket expense for this. My understanding was they did this procedure while waiting for the engine rebuild parts to come in which for some people took as long as 9 months.

http://www.archivedsites.com/techlin...-replaced.html

Attached Files

Last edited by Meguerra; 12-05-13 at 08:11 PM.
Old 12-05-13, 06:33 PM
jlb5685
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I would like to hear out of pocket costs (if any) from owners who have had this rebuild done please.

Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP