IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-13, 02:09 PM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zatrekaz
Just called the closest dealer and left a message for them to call me back. Let's hope I can get this done. The stalling/misfiring when coming to a stop has been really bad. I can't seem to get over 21mpg city either.

EDIT: Customer Service rep called me back, and scheduled for me to come in this Thursday. Said they will take a Snapshot/Freeze frame of the car? Send that to Lexus, and get word from them if it is approved or not.
With the fresh engine rebuild I'm averaging 33-35 mpg highway. That was unheard of before I got the overhaul done.
Old 09-16-13, 02:55 PM
Zatrekaz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best I have gotten is 28mpg highway.

Anyone have some tips on what to say/ask/point out when I go Thursday?
Old 09-16-13, 10:17 PM
shake&bake
Rookie

Tustin Lexus got me squared away. I've had rough idle issues within 20k miles on my 2008 IS250. Took it in numerous times...they could never duplicate it. After repeated top end cleaning procedures they ended up replacing the complete short block @ 55k due to the cylinder walls being scored & carbon build up.
Old 09-18-13, 01:14 PM
rhodesk22
Rookie

I've had the occasional symptom of the car shuttering at stop lights just nothing has thrown the check engine light. I took it in yesterday when I recieved my paperwork and of course they couldnt find anything wrong and charged me $35. Was kind of surprised to get charged anything considering the paperwork from Lexus says to bring it in if you have experienced any problems.

They did say I had burned 0.7 quarts of oil that would have been in about 3000 miles since my last change. Said it was normal? What do you guys think?
Old 09-18-13, 02:56 PM
P Rock
Driver

Originally Posted by rhodesk22
I've had the occasional symptom of the car shuttering at stop lights just nothing has thrown the check engine light. I took it in yesterday when I recieved my paperwork and of course they couldnt find anything wrong and charged me $35. Was kind of surprised to get charged anything considering the paperwork from Lexus says to bring it in if you have experienced any problems.

They did say I had burned 0.7 quarts of oil that would have been in about 3000 miles since my last change. Said it was normal? What do you guys think?
My dealer tried to charge me $100 for the diagnosis..of course the car did not show symptoms while it was at the dealer. Before I paid and while I was at the dealer, I called Lexus corporate to complain that the dealer charged me for something they told me to do (bring the car in). They said they'd reimburse me. I told the dealer that when I went to picked it up and they ended up not charging me and even said they shouldn't have told me that in the first place. Call Lexus corporate, they gave me no static whatsoever.
Old 09-19-13, 04:29 PM
Zatrekaz
Rookie

I got approved...

They will be doing an overhaul on the engine. From what I could tell on the work order they will be re machining the heads, replacing something called piston rings, and the piston springs, among some other things.

They are also, while it's there, fixing the Gas Pedal, Trunk Elimination, Fuel Pressure, and some Wiper Nut recall.

Said it would take about two weeks, and gave me an ES to drive until then.
Old 09-19-13, 04:33 PM
1Clean06IS
Pole Position

Yea I lucked out, my car has 111k miles and I just got it back fully rebuilt.....

Carbon Cleaned
New Pistons
New Piston Rings
New Valve Springs
New retainers
New Gaskets
and a fresh tank of gas and oil change!

My service writer was really cool after explaining the situation she was willing to inspect before charging a "diagnostic fee" I told her I know replication the issue was like flipping a coin, and she called me back four hours later and said it qualifies. ****didnt hurt the tech is a CL member****
Old 09-19-13, 04:50 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rhodesk22

These cars should not burn oil, not normal.
Old 09-20-13, 09:50 AM
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

1CLEAN 06IS where is your servicing dealership in Jersey? I live in South Jersey,and I'm not thrilled with my Dealership. On the first supposed to be complimentary oil change on my RX they tried to charge me!
Old 09-20-13, 10:06 AM
1Clean06IS
Pole Position

I went to Ray Catena in Oakhurst, Monmouth county, if it wasn't for dealership pricing it's the only place I would go!
Old 09-23-13, 07:34 AM
Luxman
Driver School Candidate

Default Rough Idle & Oil Consumption

Thanks for the response. I DID take it to the dealer twice (the first time I had it towed). BOT times they told me that the computer didn't register the events (check engine, emergency, VSC, traction lights coming on at once AND losing power) so they couldn't do anything about it. I didn't think to take a snapshot of the lights when they were on because I felt sure they would believe me. To make it worse, they said that eben with a picture of the warning lights, they still couldn't help me if the computer didn't record the events. Same story from Lexus Corporate, too. They also told me that the oil burning was normal at 70,000 miles (which I know isn't true). The car is running awful, mileage has dropped, and now it's burning oil. Could it be that one of the top dealers in the Philadelphia areas is hanging me out to dry like this? And Lexus Corporate is backing them up? With all the chatter on the Club Lexus site, it sounds like I'm getting a crappier deal than most. Guess I'm really stuck here -- anyone know of another way around this?

Originally Posted by e46m3lol
I've put about 3k miles in one month since I got my car back from getting the engine overhauled. Prior to the rebuild, my car was car was burning oil at about the same rate as yours (1 qt per every 2500 miles). I haven't had any issues so far. Car is running stronger than before and when I checked the oil level this past weekend, the oil was actually really clean (honey colored) and still at exactly the same level where it was at when i picked up my car from Lexus a month ago.

I would definitely take it to your local dealership to see what's going on and if they can't fix that for you then try contacting corporate.
Old 09-23-13, 07:57 AM
1Clean06IS
Pole Position

Take it to another dealer? Explain your working knowledge of what is being discussed and get a second opinion? Or try to find a local club lexus member who is a tech and see if you can ask them for advice on how to get passed this road block. Wish I had a better plan it's tough when cooperate sides with the dealer, good luck!
Old 09-23-13, 01:22 PM
Luxman
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

Hard to believe that the Lexus policy is to draw such a hard line about the trouble codes. All of the symptoms are present. And the exact warning lights illuminated. Twice. The fact that the computer isn't storing the codes should signal something is wrong, regardless. I named the proper indicator lights and described the rough idle at slowdown and stop, the sudden loss of power when the lights came on. Even the oil consumption and carbon-caked exhaust tips. This has been going on since May. Trouble is, Lexus has opened a case file and has indexed it with my VIN. Unless those lights go on and stay on (they shut off when the ignition is turned off) and that computer starts recording something, I'm out of luck. But I will try another call to Corporate then maybe try another dealer.
Old 09-23-13, 01:31 PM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I just got back from 700 mile weekend road trip from Cali to Vegas and back... on my way back from Vegas my car started acting really weird like as if there was a missfire exactly between 2k-2300 rpm. There were no check engine lights or anything but the tranny kept jerking and shifting really hard everything it would shift gears. Brought it home like that, turned it off and a couple hrs later it drove normal again.

This morning on my way to work, my dashboard lit like a Christmas tree and it is still shifting really bad. I called my service adviser Mann Wong over at Longo Lexus and he said he is going to get it checked out as they were the ones that took care of the overhaul situation about 2800 miles ago.

Can anyone guess what the problem might be? Hopefully my car doesn't blow up.
Old 09-23-13, 02:40 PM
lex2nv
Driver School Candidate

I just dropped my car off 2006 is350, at the Fresno dealership. they said it take take up to 2 week for the work to be completed.
They gave me a 2013 RX450h as loaner.
As for the symptoms i was getting was that i had to put in a quart of oil ever 2,500 miles maybe more than a quart.. i did also notice a bit of a rough idol, My car has 155k on it.
i will be sure to post my results after i get it back.
So far the Service Employee Frank is awesome, really professional, kind, relaxed and always has a smile on his face. so when i get my car back i plan to buy him a beer.

Thanks -Danny

Last edited by lex2nv; 09-23-13 at 03:29 PM.

Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP