IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-12, 06:17 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I drove my car a little hard this morning to get past a group of slow-moving cars on the highway, and when I came to a stop I think I felt the engine misfiring for a few seconds. When something like that happens, it's logged into the car's computer right? So if I take it to my dealer they should be able to check the history and see that it misfired?
Old 11-02-12, 03:14 PM
NSGxLEX
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got approved by Lexus for the CSP. Longo said they will order the parts and that it will be a month or so because there is a waiting list and the parts are on back order. lol
Old 11-02-12, 03:30 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
I drove my car a little hard this morning to get past a group of slow-moving cars on the highway, and when I came to a stop I think I felt the engine misfiring for a few seconds. When something like that happens, it's logged into the car's computer right? So if I take it to my dealer they should be able to check the history and see that it misfired?
Someone can correct me if i'm wrong, but if it does misfire, it throws a light and logs it. So you would know something has been logged. At least that's my knowledge of how it works.

Originally Posted by NSGxLEX
Got approved by Lexus for the CSP. Longo said they will order the parts and that it will be a month or so because there is a waiting list and the parts are on back order. lol
Nice. Longo did the work on my car too. Your car is in good hands
Old 11-02-12, 05:59 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Someone can correct me if i'm wrong, but if it does misfire, it throws a light and logs it. So you would know something has been logged. At least that's my knowledge of how it works. :
light will only come on under the most severe misfire and it will need a bunch of misfires to even store a pending code every misfire is recorded in the misfire monitor....the count starts dropping with every key cycle that doesn't misfire. It's very confusing and hard to explain......but basically......if there's been a decent amount of misfiring recently, it should be stored in the misfire monitor.....but none of the above is needed to get the CSP authorized. If a dealer says there needs to be a history of misfires stored, they're wrong. they just need to duplicate and record it misfiring themselves.

Originally Posted by sm1ke
That drive pattern you just described is exactly how the carbon misfires typically happen. In fact the duplication procedure is supposed to simulate steady highway driving, followed by full power, then coming to a stop. your dealer does not need to see a history. Just tell them exactly what happened. there are a lot of people reading about this CSP and imagining the misfire condition or noticing slight vibrations that they never really noticed before. Based on your story...There's pretty much no doubt that you experienced the exact condition the CSP is for. No hurry though. 9 years gives you plenty of time.
Old 11-04-12, 01:53 PM
NSGxLEX
Intermediate

My SA said that 99% of CSP cases where approved @ LONGO. She said the one that didnt get approved was a low milage 08 only about 20k.
Old 11-04-12, 08:43 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by NSGxLEX
My SA said that 99% of CSP cases where approved @ LONGO. She said the one that didnt get approved was a low milage 08 only about 20k.
I'm curious why a low mileage unit would be turned down. The fact that a "fresh" car was already experiencing the problem would reflect the magnitude of the carbon build up problem.

My low-mileage 2008 has had this problem since 16k miles, or since 2010. What could possibly be in question? Unless they are thinking because a car is driven less, it automatically has not had a chance to blow out the junk built up inside??? I have yet to receive anything in the mail as far as the warranty extension goes...
Old 11-04-12, 09:03 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I'm curious why a low mileage unit would be turned down. The fact that a "fresh" car was already experiencing the problem would reflect the magnitude of the carbon build up problem.

My low-mileage 2008 has had this problem since 16k miles, or since 2010. What could possibly be in question? Unless they are thinking because a car is driven less, it automatically has not had a chance to blow out the junk built up inside??? I have yet to receive anything in the mail as far as the warranty extension goes...
low mileage cars are a lot less likely to have enough carbon built up to cause the issue. that being said, low mileage cars are sometimes driven on very short trips (10 miles or less), which contributes to carbon buildup. there have been plenty of cars with 20k on them approved for the piston and ring replacement. 1 low mileage car not being approved simply goes with the odds.....and trust me.....there are plenty of owners that are simply imagining the misfire.

if you have the problem and your dealership has their **** together, it should be approved. it sounds like Longo knows what they're doing. based only on this forum.
Old 11-04-12, 09:41 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by diagtime
low mileage cars are a lot less likely to have enough carbon built up to cause the issue. that being said, low mileage cars are sometimes driven on very short trips (10 miles or less), which contributes to carbon buildup. there have been plenty of cars with 20k on them approved for the piston and ring replacement. 1 low mileage car not being approved simply goes with the odds.....and trust me.....there are plenty of owners that are simply imagining the misfire.

if you have the problem and your dealership has their **** together, it should be approved. it sounds like Longo knows what they're doing. based only on this forum.
I agree, a low mileage car can easily have the problem. And I don't think it should matter whether a car has low or high miles. No one should be having this problem, period.

I've been working with Longo and one other dealer for a few years now. So far my car hasn't given a strong enough code to qualify for anything other than two top cleanings. But make no mistake, it has the problem. When the car starts shaking violently at a stop and almost stalls, it's not imagination. Others? I can't speak for them.
Old 11-05-12, 01:05 AM
ISmak4
Driver

Originally Posted by meis250
Thanks ISmak4, good info to have. How bad were your symptoms? I had the rough idle once every 3-4 weeks, but it was very noticeable. Aside from the rough idle did you have any other symptoms?
No problem man. They weren't too bad to be honest, I didn't notice it very often until after they did the top engine clean... Then I would notice it idle when braking almost every time. Uhm it might of just been my car, but other than having the RPM's drop really low I noticed that accelerating/changing gears were a bit clunky every morning till a few minutes of driving, this might of been due to the fact that the engine wasn't completely warmed up yet but I only noticed it after the top engine clean.
Old 11-05-12, 05:41 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by diagtime
That drive pattern you just described is exactly how the carbon misfires typically happen. In fact the duplication procedure is supposed to simulate steady highway driving, followed by full power, then coming to a stop. your dealer does not need to see a history. Just tell them exactly what happened. there are a lot of people reading about this CSP and imagining the misfire condition or noticing slight vibrations that they never really noticed before. Based on your story...There's pretty much no doubt that you experienced the exact condition the CSP is for. No hurry though. 9 years gives you plenty of time.
Thanks diagtime, your input is very much appreciated
Old 11-05-12, 11:17 AM
rsg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never received the letter from Lexus for this issue and when I login to my Lexus account it states:

Your vehicle does not require any outstanding safety recalls or service campaigns at this time. This inquiry covers all recalls or campaigns currently not completed for your specific vehicle identification number (VIN).
I have a 2007 IS250 which I bought 12-2011 as a CPO. It did have the top engine cleaning.
Old 11-05-12, 01:54 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rsg
I never received the letter from Lexus for this issue and when I login to my Lexus account it states:

I have a 2007 IS250 which I bought 12-2011 as a CPO. It did have the top engine cleaning.
That's because this CSP does not fall under the recall or service campaign category. It's separate. I keep forgetting to upload the letter myself, hopefully I remember tonight when I am home, but you can always call Lexus Corporate if you are concerned about not getting the letter yet.
Old 11-05-12, 05:53 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rsg

it's not a recall, it's a SPA. just like the late 90's ES300 had for engine sludge. It's an amendment to warranty policy for a special reason only. the ES300 could sludge even with perfect oil maintenance at a dealership. However, most with good oil change history did not have sludge. The motors were built exactly the same.......why did some sludge and some not sludge at all????? It has to do with the amount of hours the engine ran in the 5,000 mile oil change interval, driving style, avg speed, ambient conditions, etc.

I say all this because it directly relates to the carbon build up issue. It's not a recall because not all cars are affected. Only cars that underwent the right combination of circumstances to cause excess carbon buildup.

This is why you shouldn't assume you have the problem and shouldn't treat it like a recall (and just take your car to a dealership).

If you have experienced the rough idle/misfire, then bring your car to a dealer......this CSP is for you.
Old 11-05-12, 06:57 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

i received the letter today and had a top engine cleaning done a few years ago when my car was really quite new. i haven't had problems since, and hope not to in the future, and while i'm still covered under warranty, the letter is reassuring.
Old 11-06-12, 03:24 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

I had couple of rough idle but no code or anything shows up on the dash board...I do have a couple of videos...I've called the dealership today and said they'll run the test and see if I qualify...if I do..they'll order the parts and ill take about 4 weeks to get it.. the probelm is if I don't qualify..what now?

Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP