Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

x2, even a Toyota dealership would be cheaper
Old 10-24-12, 03:01 PM
maniacbob
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Lol no way, you can get it done much cheaper at any reputable independent mechanic for sure!
Lol. I know. My bro in law can do it for free. It's just the axles that are a little pricey.
Old 10-24-12, 03:42 PM
rizkyk
Driver School Candidate

Default Carbon build up

Hey guys, just dropped off my car at lexus for them to start the week long repair...I'm thinking since they have the engine dismantled, I can have them change a few things while i'm at it. So what do you guys think is good maintenance for an IS250 awd with 110k miles? Spark plugs, belts, water pump, etc. They will only charge me for parts so I want to take advantage of this.
Old 10-24-12, 05:34 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rizkyk
Hey guys, just dropped off my car at lexus for them to start the week long repair...I'm thinking since they have the engine dismantled, I can have them change a few things while i'm at it. So what do you guys think is good maintenance for an IS250 awd with 110k miles? Spark plugs, belts, water pump, etc. They will only charge me for parts so I want to take advantage of this.
that's exactly what i would do. water pump, spark plugs....and might as well do a belt too. there's nothing else to do really. all the gaskets will be replaced with the engine work. you could ask them to do the rear main seal because you don't need to remove it as part of the process. They're not known to be leaky but someday that rear main will go.
Old 10-24-12, 05:41 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Originally Posted by maniacbob
So I went in today for them to look at rough idling issue and oil consumption. They came back after an hour with nothing and sent me back home.

They did though came back to "caution" me that both my CV rear boots need replacing, so basically 2 new rear axles which was going to cause over $2k to fix. Fail.
if the engine really has a problem then keep taking it back.

about the cv "boots" i bet if you look......it's not the boots leaking. it's probably the outer cv joint housing leaking where the two metal parts are pressed together. that's why they quoted two new axles. can't rebuild that part.

So.....ever heard of FIPG?? how about permatex? Get ahold of some good old fashioned BLACK Toyota FIPG. clean the grease off those joints real well with brake clean. make sure the surface is perfectly clean on the CV joints and slap some FIPG on that thing right on the metal seam that's letting grease escape. just smooth it out with your finger all the way around the cv joint and don't drive it for at least 4 hours....

If you don't like the fact that the next guy to work on it might see it and think it looks like total hack work....then go ahead with $2000.00 in axles.
Old 10-24-12, 06:13 PM
maniacbob
Driver

Originally Posted by diagtime
if the engine really has a problem then keep taking it back.

about the cv "boots" i bet if you look......it's not the boots leaking. it's probably the outer cv joint housing leaking where the two metal parts are pressed together. that's why they quoted two new axles. can't rebuild that part.

So.....ever heard of FIPG?? how about permatex? Get ahold of some good old fashioned BLACK Toyota FIPG. clean the grease off those joints real well with brake clean. make sure the surface is perfectly clean on the CV joints and slap some FIPG on that thing right on the metal seam that's letting grease escape. just smooth it out with your finger all the way around the cv joint and don't drive it for at least 4 hours....

If you don't like the fact that the next guy to work on it might see it and think it looks like total hack work....then go ahead with $2000.00 in axles.
Cool. I'll check it again and if that's the case then I'll probably follow your advise. Observation reported was:

Found left inner CV joint boot torn.
Found right inner CV joint boot torn.
Old 10-24-12, 10:04 PM
ISmak4
Driver

I just had mine done gave it to them for about a week, but my car was still under the power train warranty for another 6months lol. Does anyone know if this new 9year carbon buildup thing is effective in Canada as well?
Old 10-25-12, 08:10 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Related, but from another auto mfgr.

Q&A with Corvette Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter and the LT1 Team On the Gen-5 Small Block V-8
http://wot.motortrend.com/qa-with-co...-8-280789.html

“LT1 Team: Deposits are caused by oil that either seeps by the intake valve systems or is ingested through the PCV system. The LT1’s improved air/oil separation is a key enabler in preventing these deposits. We’ve experienced no deposits in our development engines.”

A deeper look at the small-block heart of the next Corvette [w/videos]
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/24/g...tte-c7-videos/
Old 10-25-12, 09:25 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Originally Posted by maniacbob
Cool. I'll check it again and if that's the case then I'll probably follow your advise. Observation reported was:

Found left inner CV joint boot torn.
Found right inner CV joint boot torn.
Inner?? if that's really the case, I wouldn't mind seeing pictures of that
Old 10-25-12, 09:27 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chikoo
Related, but from another auto mfgr.

Q&A with Corvette Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter and the LT1 Team On the Gen-5 Small Block V-8
http://wot.motortrend.com/qa-with-co...-8-280789.html

“LT1 Team: Deposits are caused by oil that either seeps by the intake valve systems or is ingested through the PCV system. The LT1’s improved air/oil separation is a key enabler in preventing these deposits. We’ve experienced no deposits in our development engines.”

A deeper look at the small-block heart of the next Corvette [w/videos]
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/24/g...tte-c7-videos/
For those who are bored and/or have too much time on their hands, research the PCV system (swirl type oil separator) found on the 2013 GS450h. If you aren't bored, skip this post.
Old 10-27-12, 12:32 AM
rizkyk
Driver School Candidate

How do I convince these people at lexus that my excessive oil consumption was due to this carbon build up??

I've been dealing with losing oil for a couple of years now. There answer was that my pcv valve was clogged and that's why I was losing oil. They replaced it twice within two years. Is it common to replace it this often? I remember reading somewhere that one of the issues of the carbon build up besides the misfiring is also excessive oil consumption. I mean what would clog this valve if not from carbon build up and sludge...thanks for the help in advance.
Old 10-27-12, 11:21 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rizkyk
How do I convince these people at lexus that my excessive oil consumption was due to this carbon build up??

I've been dealing with losing oil for a couple of years now. There answer was that my pcv valve was clogged and that's why I was losing oil. They replaced it twice within two years. Is it common to replace it this often? I remember reading somewhere that one of the issues of the carbon build up besides the misfiring is also excessive oil consumption. I mean what would clog this valve if not from carbon build up and sludge...thanks for the help in advance.
one of the earlier posts said that their dealer scoped the engine and saw the carbon buildup. I asked my dealer about this, and they said I'd have to pay the tech's time charge to do this. I suppose if you are convinced carbon buildup is the cause, you could convince the dealer to scope the engine, and if you are right, they pay, and if there is no carbon buildup, you pay? Might be worth a shot.
Old 10-28-12, 06:56 AM
meis250
Driver

Originally Posted by ISmak4
I just had mine done gave it to them for about a week, but my car was still under the power train warranty for another 6months lol. Does anyone know if this new 9year carbon buildup thing is effective in Canada as well?
hey there, what exactly did you get done in Canada? I did get the top engine clean under powertrain warranty but they were pretty tight lipped about the extended warranty (to 9 yrs). They might not make it official ever and only deal with it on a case by case basis in Canada...

Last edited by meis250; 10-28-12 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-28-12, 11:11 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Got my CSP notice in the mail, I will try and upload it and update the first post when I get time today. Hopefully that helps people out
Old 10-28-12, 07:23 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

ok..so i just my letter too..but here's the dilemma. I don't have any problem with the carbon build up, i had a rough idle a while back, but no check engine or any codes pop on the dash 07 with 114k and still running strong....should i still take it to the dealership and get it done or just wait until this really happens to me. I am afraid that if i take to the dealership for the service, something might start acting up... (superstitious) crossing my fingers...

Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP