IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-12, 07:20 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by bob4256
I appreciate the help Jeff, but I just checked the tag on the door jam and it was made in 11/09
Why sadface? That means your car already has the newer parts.

Are you having issues with the car?

EDIT: I read some of your earlier posts, nevermind.

Jeff
Old 10-11-12, 05:09 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, Im hoping that Im just being paranoid. Even though Im under warranty I dont want to go through all the hassel
Old 10-11-12, 09:17 AM
bboysunone
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I just got the letter today and I know my car have these problems like misfire n vibrating at stops but when my macanic check my car for codes he said its not showing anything. Last year I got service at dealer before my 70k they fix my valve n valve spring n the problem was gone for about 9 months n now it started to happened again. It seems like they didn't fix the problem. What show I do. Should I wait until it happen more n code my shows . It happened about 8 times already.
Old 10-11-12, 09:32 AM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bboysunone
So I just got the letter today and I know my car have these problems like misfire n vibrating at stops but when my macanic check my car for codes he said its not showing anything. Last year I got service at dealer before my 70k they fix my valve n valve spring n the problem was gone for about 9 months n now it started to happened again. It seems like they didn't fix the problem. What show I do. Should I wait until it happen more n code my shows . It happened about 8 times already.
Take it to the dealer again and tell them about the issue. I had the same problem with my dealer dropped it off they said they couldn't find anything Finally i ended up calling Lexus Corp to state my problems and then within 2 days the dealer Supposedly used a camera to check the interal's and saw a ton of build up and then was approved to replace pistons.
Old 10-11-12, 11:18 PM
rizkyk
Driver School Candidate

A few questions road rage since you are very well informed about this...when I went to lexus they told me I would have to wait 3 weeks cuz corporate will only allow them to do one of these jobs a week?? what is that about? Also, what fluids will they change during this repair? I'm assuming oil and coolant...anything else? Thanks
Old 10-12-12, 06:50 AM
liquidfuel
Driver School Candidate

Both my oil and coolant were changed. Nothing else.
Old 10-12-12, 09:42 AM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by liquidfuel
Both my oil and coolant were changed. Nothing else.
Did you have to request them to change them? And did you bring your own oil and coolant, or pay them for that?
Old 10-12-12, 10:19 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrotang
Did you have to request them to change them? And did you bring your own oil and coolant, or pay them for that?
No its part of the service. You do not have to bring your own fluid. If you use synthetic oil though, you will have to either pay the cost difference for it or bring your own if you'd rather do that. This Carbon Build up service covers regular oil.
Old 10-12-12, 11:10 AM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
No its part of the service. You do not have to bring your own fluid. If you use synthetic oil though, you will have to either pay the cost difference for it or bring your own if you'd rather do that. This Carbon Build up service covers regular oil.
Awesome, thanks for the info. Good to know.
Old 10-12-12, 03:29 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

^^ No problem. I personally let them put regular oil in and then drove it 1k miles, just to break in the new parts. Then had them change the oil with Synthetic after. Not really something you have to do, but I just have seen others do it as break in maintenance after serious engine work so I figured why not
Old 10-12-12, 04:14 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Is regular oil supposed to be better at breaking in new engines as opposed to synthetic? Didn't our cars come from factory with synthetic?
Old 10-12-12, 06:59 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by nitrotang
Is regular oil supposed to be better at breaking in new engines as opposed to synthetic? Didn't our cars come from factory with synthetic?
That's a debate on its own. Some think regular dino is best, others argue synthetic is best for breaking in a motor. Some cars come off the line with dino oil, others roll off the line with synthetic. For the 06-10 ISx50 they are factory filled with regular dino. I believe '11+ IS250's are filled with synthetic now and '11+ IS350's are dino if I remember correctly. Most modern engines are broken in before being delivered now anyways.

This repair isn't a new engine tho so its really up to you how you want to deal with it. I played it on the safe side and just went with regular oil like it came with off the line and then just changed it out at 1k miles to clear out any metal shavings or small debris that might exist from the break-in of the new parts.
Old 10-12-12, 09:21 PM
liquidfuel
Driver School Candidate

I didn't know they would put regular oil in. I've always used Mobil 1 synthetic.

The new oil change sticker says 5000 miles until the next oil change. I wonder if it is synthetic?
Old 10-13-12, 06:33 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
That's a debate on its own. Some think regular dino is best, others argue synthetic is best for breaking in a motor. Some cars come off the line with dino oil, others roll off the line with synthetic. For the 06-10 ISx50 they are factory filled with regular dino. I believe '11+ IS250's are filled with synthetic now and '11+ IS350's are dino if I remember correctly. Most modern engines are broken in before being delivered now anyways.

This repair isn't a new engine tho so its really up to you how you want to deal with it. I played it on the safe side and just went with regular oil like it came with off the line and then just changed it out at 1k miles to clear out any metal shavings or small debris that might exist from the break-in of the new parts.
the cylinders are polished before assembly. older engines and other manufacturers will have the rings do the final polishing which some people will call "seating the rings."
Breaking in a Lexus engine is not something very important. It would be best to avoid high rpm and load for the first 1000 miles, but it's honestly not very critical.

You're fine with conventional, synthetic blend, or synthetic oils. the engines react the same to all of them. of course the difference is how long they last.

there also is no particular break in oil. that goes back to the days of cast iron piston rings and flat tappet camshafts that are under ridiculous pressure. Engine design has changed a lot over the years. some things (like wear) are not really a concern anymore. they've just managed to create some new concerns.....like carbon.
Old 10-13-12, 06:36 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rizkyk
A few questions road rage since you are very well informed about this...when I went to lexus they told me I would have to wait 3 weeks cuz corporate will only allow them to do one of these jobs a week?? what is that about? Also, what fluids will they change during this repair? I'm assuming oil and coolant...anything else? Thanks
they used to only release one head gasket set per week until supplies were built up. this is no longer a problem. if you have an 06 (and maybe some 07's) that have the old style weaker valve springs, they will need to be replaced and those take a little while to get. if they take it apart and determine that a short block will be needed, it will take at least a week. in both of those cases, your car is in the shop and you should be in a loaner.

Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP